• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

Wilson and Ennis are both very young, so for us to be considering them for the u21s is very impressive. Ennis would be foolish to leave at this point

If their parents/ advisors had any brains they would turn both Vhelsea and Vity down as the opportunity to break into a first team and therefore be worth more is far higher if they stay at Wolves. Breaking through from youth level to first team is nigh on impossible at the very top level at the moment and I don't see why any player would go other than for short term gain, especially if they're very good like Ennis and Wilson.

Wow!

Who was the academy product who first started that run of games?

Aren't Batth and Hennessey (yes I know he came from Man City originally) considered to be Academy products?

That takes us back to April/May 98, so the last time we didn't manage it would be a game at the back end of that season when none of Naylor, Robinson or Keane featured. They all played a fair bit that season.

That takes us back to April/May 98, so the last time we didn't manage it would be a game at the back end of that season when none of Naylor, Robinson or Keane featured. They all played a fair bit that season.

They did that was the season of our cup run which they all played a part in, Robinson started the semi-final and we all know where Keane was, (cant remember if Naylor was involved).

One thing Taylor did right when here was put a youth system in place, I think before these 3 only Jamie Smith had come through in the previous 10 years as a regular.

I think this is it, 13th April 1998, Forest away (lost 3-0).

H Segers, K Muscat, S Froggatt, S Sedgley, A Williams, K Curle, D Goodman, R Slater, S Bull (D Freedman, 57), P Simpson, S Osborn
Subs not used: S Claridge, N Emblen

Hans Segers, I'd forgotten about him.

One thing Taylor did right when here was put a youth system in place, I think before these 3 only Jamie Smith had come through in the previous 10 years as a regular.

Yeah, you could just about make a tenuous case for Nicky Clarke before him I suppose.

Of course a certain Stanley Victor Collymore would have made the grade had he not been such a cockring.

Three players at fault there, Segers with the kick, Sedgley not looking the right way and Dean Richards backing off for a full 50 yards and achieving nothing in doing so. None of it happens at all though if Hans isn't doing his Paul Jones impression.

I think it's a harsh criticism. Batth, Hause, EEL, Doherty, Iorfa, Price and Bright - all regulars in the squad nowadays. Not to mention the amount of academy players we've had playing for us in the recent past.

We are also notorious for not signing players on loan unless we have a good chance of buying them at the end of their loan. Maybe Ojo is different but exceptions can be made if they are good enough quality.

If Ojo helps get us promotion why wouldn't he join on a transfer, who's to say he would be good enough at the top level if he does help to get us there? He's a short term fix for maybe long term game and if none of Graham and Ronan are good enough then it is down to the recruitment team to get it right. The recruitment team got it wrong and that team was moved on.

Bancessi, Ismail and Graham clearly aren't good enough and that is a harsh reality. Whether they will be in the future is up to them but at the moment they just won't be.

Surely what he's arguing is that those players wont ever get the chance to improve to the level we need them to be at unless we give them a chance.

Is Sheyi Ojo better than the wingers in the U21s at a similar age? Possibly. Will Ojo go further in the game? Probably. But the point is still valid; if you are going to give a unproven young player an opportunity at this stage of their footballing career, why can’t it be a Wolves player who we can develop and nurture long term.

For the record, I don't think that we have a snowball's chance in hell of signing Ojo, even if we do get promoted. Not that I've been particularly blown away by what I've seen of him so far.

I'm generally against us gaming the loan system for short term gains, I've argued against it consistently for a while now. It should be noted a high proportion of Wolves fans generally argue that we SHOULD do it, I think they just like to moan about anything and everything.

We badly needed someone to play on the left as Jacobs leaving left us with a grand total of 0 left sided midfielders at the club with any senior experience at this level for Wolves. The manager says Byrne can play there, and Wallace - they are our players and that is the direction we take, signing quality youth and developing them. I'd love us to pluck someone out of the Academy who can slot right in but as Johnny says the players we currently have in that position are not really suitable at the moment. You can't just play the kids because you're adhering to a strict dogma.

Back