• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves League of Nations

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Challenge for you all at the end of the year!

Pick your best Wolves XI in your time watching us, but you're only allowed one player from any one nation. Rules are that you must pick them where they actually played for us (so no cheating and sticking Robbie Keane in midfield, for example) and you must put them in a proper formation.

My attempt:

Hahnemann (USA)

Muscat (AUS)
Pollet (FRA)
De Wolf (NED)
Elokobi (CMR)

Rae (SCO)
Neves (POR)
Milijas (SRB)

Keane (IRE)
Bull (ENG)
Afobe (DRC)

Props for getting Benik correct. The fancast a few weeks ago said Benik and Prince both played for the same nation. That did my head in.

Hennessey (Wales)

Foley (Ireland)
Boly (French)
Lescott (England)
Douglas (Scotland)

Neves (Portugal)
Saiss (Morroco)
Milijas (Serbia)

Sako (Mali)
Bonatini (Brazil)
Ndah (Nigeria)

Hennessey (WAL)

Muscat (AUS)
Lescott (ENG)
Boly (FRA)
Douglas (SCO)

Neves (POR)
Saiss (MOR)

Sako (MAL)
Keane (IRE)
Peszko (POL)

Bonatini (BRA)

Since there are likely to be a lot of similar teams here, I'm going to try to nail 11 of the "smallest" (or weirdest) nations to ever be represented by us.

Carl Ikeme (NGA)
Oleg Luzhniy (URS/UKR) - Rafael Villazan (URU) - Kaspars Gorkss (LAT) - George Elokobi (CMR)
Razak Boukari (TOG) - Carlos Edwards (TRI) - Prince Oniangue (CGO) - Bakary Sako (MLI)
Carl Cort (GUY) - Jason Roberts (GRN)​

Hahnemann (USA)

Foley (Ireland)
Boly (France)
Lescott (England)
Ricketts (Wales)

Seol [emoji85](south Korea)
Saiss (Morocco)
Neves (Portugal)
Milijas (Serbia)
Sako (Mali)

Fletcher (Scotland)

Fletcher, Neves, Sako, Boly, Lescott shoe ins. Tied my hands significantly for everything else though.

Anyone posting an 11 without Bully up top, is no friend of mine.

Hennessey (Wales)

Muscat (Australia)
Boly (French)
Lescott (England)
Douglas (Scotland)

Neves (Portugal)
Saiss (Morroco)
Milijas (Serbia)

Costa (Angola) Yes i'm a cheat
Keane (Ireland)
Sako (Mali)

If i can't have that then

Hennessey (Wales)

Muscat (Australia)
Boly (French)
Lescott (England)
Jelle Van Damme(Belgium)

Neves (Portugal)
Saiss (Morroco)
Milijas (Serbia)

Keane (Ireland)
Fletcher (Scotland)
Sako (Mali)

Hard to leave Bully out but Lescott was a quality centre half in his day and couldn't be left out.

To be fair you've probably got to be at least 25/26 now to properly remember even the back end of his career (and his last two seasons were largely him being injured). It's nearly 18 and a half years since he called it a day. His last big season was 96/97, it's a long time ago now.

As far as English Wolves players go Joleon Lescott > Bull. Premier League winner, more caps for England, scored at the World Cup...

As far as English Wolves players go Joleon Lescott > Bull. Premier League winner, more caps for England, scored at the World Cup...

Never played at a World Cup :)

Scored in the Euros though.

You what, mate? :icon_lol:

I never got to see Bully play sadly. It was a toss up between Murray and Lescott for the English spot.

Didn’t see the Bull glory years.

Also couldn’t really put Keane i can’t remember a fat lot seeing him play (I’m 26).

As I went for Fletcher as the number 9 I couldn’t pick Afobe, SEB, etc. I’m not having this wide forward in a 4–3-3. That’s cheating in my book

Yeah 10 is fine. RW/RF was where I was struggling. Couldn’t pick a forward, Lescott rules out Kightly, Jarvis (I even considered Shaun Newton). Neves rules out the Portuguese, I didn’t have a fat lot else.

We played an Algerian wizard on the right a few times. But you really don't want to be picking him.

Hahnemann (USA)

Irwin (Ireland)
Boly (France)
De Wolf (Holland)
Van Damme (Belgium)

Rae (Scotland)
Neves (Portugal)
Milijas (Serbia)

Sako (Mali)
Bull (England)
Camara (Senegal)

Anyone who saw all of Bully's and Lescott's Wolves careers and picks the latter needs their bumps felt.

Back