• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Arsenal [Tue 6pm BT Sport 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go:

Rui
Boly, Coady, Kilman
Hoever, Dendoncker, Neves, Vitinha, Semedo
Neto, Jose

Not sure it will be popular on here, but Neto (or Podence) have the tenacity and ball carrying ability to play the role as Jota used to, Vitinha and Neves can pass the ball forwards quickly and switch play in the middle and we don't lose defensive solidity.

It does mean the WBs have to attack more than they have been however...

We just have to have a different outlook on games. Last 20 mins we just drop so deep we just invite teams to get the ball in the box. You need at least 2 people outside and 1 up front to have a chance to counter. It also takes 4 of their players out the box too. We used to do it. No idea why we don't do it anymore. We have to get rid of the fear factor, starting this game.

I would go:

Rui
Boly, Coady, Kilman
Hoever, Dendoncker, Neves, Vitinha, Semedo
Neto, Jose

Not sure it will be popular on here, but Neto (or Podence) have the tenacity and ball carrying ability to play the role as Jota used to, Vitinha and Neves can pass the ball forwards quickly and switch play in the middle and we don't lose defensive solidity.

It does mean the WBs have to attack more than they have been however...

Been thinking the same thing recently, 352 again, with Neto playing something similar to the Jota-like role alongside Raul (Willian for now).

Looking forward to Jonny being back. Think it is a bit understated quite how much we've missed him this season, even before the recent awfulness.

You're joking, right? 😅

I guess you mean I've missed people lamenting the lack of Jonny? I have to take breaks from reading this forum for my sanity ;) I'd noticed a few general "we're bad cos of injuries" things, but can't remember seeing Jonny being the first one mentioned!

Edit: Ah, saw the edit. Fair point. I think I'd missed mentions of him specifically. Usually Raul, Boly, Podence, etc. Hadn't really spotted anyone mentioning/discussing how important Jonny is/was, especially when so much focus has been on how much we've missed Raul. So, yeah, I mostly meant understated relative to Raul!

Last edited:
I think the difference is we all knew Jonny was going to miss most of the season before it even started so mentally had accepted he would not be playing.

Disagree with the posts about Jonny all of a sudden becoming the Messiah, in his absence.

It's definitely a legitimate claim to say we have hugely missed his pressing, his experience and reliability in that position. You only notice these things when you don't have it - and going from a solid 7/8 out of 10 player every single week to a roulette wheel of an inconsistent RAN, an injury prone Marcal or an out of position Saiss has clearly had a huge impact on how functional we are on the left hand side in both a defensive and attacking sense.

Absolutely cannot wait for him to return.

I think what we've missed both is that fact that he and Doc would both be really comfortable coming inside, with and without the ball. That's definitely contributed to the lack of connection between our front three IMO

Disagree with the posts about Jonny all of a sudden becoming the Messiah, in his absence.

It's definitely a legitimate claim to say we have hugely missed his pressing, his experience and reliability in that position. You only notice these things when you don't have it - and going from a solid 7/8 out of 10 player every single week to a roulette wheel of an inconsistent RAN, an injury prone Marcal or an out of position Saiss has clearly had a huge impact on how functional we are on the left hand side in both a defensive and attacking sense.

Absolutely cannot wait for him to return.

I think we all agree getting him back ASAP is the ideal, and the club has been unfortunate with the availability/reliability of his replacements, I'm just conscious that we've had plenty of missing names that have been yearned for this season, only to not actually make as much difference as we'd hope when they get back.

Even Dendoncker was lamented when we lost him for a few games after Chelsea, now he's a pariah on everyone's teamsheet!

Tierney and Saka big doubts for them tomorrow which is a real bonus.

Lacazette came off injured and Aubameyang still seems up in the air. So some key players potentially out who've been important to their recent form. Is Partey could just be missing too.... I'd still be extremely pessimistic about this :D

I think we all agree getting him back ASAP is the ideal, and the club has been unfortunate with the availability/reliability of his replacements, I'm just conscious that we've had plenty of missing names that have been yearned for this season, only to not actually make as much difference as we'd hope when they get back.

Even Dendoncker was lamented when we lost him for a few games after Chelsea, now he's a pariah on everyone's teamsheet!
Jonny coming back won’t automatically mean an upturn in results or performances - it probably won’t have too much of a direct impact on the number of goals we score either. He might have a small impact on an increase in clean sheets (I would hope), given the defence will be more organised with him in it. But he can’t be held accountable for individual errors from his teammates.

Having him back means we are one player closer to a full group - and one player closer to being full strength. We’d obviously still be missing a massive cog in the Wolves wheel (oh hi, Raul). But the more first team players we can get back on the pitch at the same time, the better.

How many times did we find Jonny in the opposition penalty box, something our wingbacks do not do, surely it can only mean an upturn in team performance

How many times did we find Jonny in the opposition penalty box, something our wingbacks do not do, surely it can only mean an upturn in team performance

I'm not sure how much of that is down to a change in tactics though as opposed to personnel. Admittedly Semedo is coming inside a little bit more than he did to begin with.

Snippets of Nuno's press conference on Timmy's twitter page. Did Nuno give them all the Mike Bassett half time hairdryer treatment after the Palace game? :ROFLMAO:

Snippets of Nuno's press conference on Timmy's twitter page. Did Nuno give them all the Mike Bassett half time hairdryer treatment after the Palace game? :ROFLMAO:

He is absolutely right with what he says: some of them as individuals have been very poor and need to improve as individuals before they improve as a team.

He is absolutely right with what he says: some of them as individuals have been very poor and need to improve as individuals before they improve as a team.
Indeed. Nuno's words today are different from the past weeks. He's admitting there is a problem, and it isn't just solutions as the answer. You can only hope they have identified the problem like he says. Tomorrow we will see.

I'm honestly not that bothered by this game. Losing to Arsenal will have very little impact on the complection of our season.

Obviously I'd like us to win and / or put in a good performance but I won't be too down if we don't.

I'm honestly not that bothered by this game. Losing to Arsenal will have very little impact on the complection of our season.

Obviously I'd like us to win and / or put in a good performance but I won't be too down if we don't.
Disagree, this group of players really needs a win.

Really, really odd.

We need a win.

I think we'll win one of our games this week. No logic or particular insight into why, i just do. I'd say this one is more likely, so I'm predicting a win tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back