• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Women Thread

Everyone
I don't think it is being woke and snowflakey in this instance. For me, it's about context and educating yourself.

Unfortunately, we live in a misogynistic society and it is ingrained in us at a young age. It is up to us to educate ourselves to think otherwise. I didn't think anything about referrring to a woman as a girl until my wife said she found it patronising. I now try to make sure I don't do it.
But Dan, it's up to white middle-age men to decide what's misogynistic, you know.

What's this? A 1+ page long convo about gender politics and I didn't start it??

I'm so proud. 🥲

A week out of date, but Forest lost the play off 1-0 to Watford so will be playing Wolves again next year

Jesus that is a travesty to have both them still trapped here after their respective couple of seasons. Is there any plans or considering for the promotion at that level?

Whilst we all wait for the men's first team to sign someone more exciting than a third choice goalkeeper, there's been a number of incomings and outgoings for the women's first team.

It's been mentioned on here elsewhere, but we've signed attacker Olivia Fergusson from Celtic; but we've had a number of departures, some understandable, some frustrating.

* Laura Cooper - Coops has been brilliant for us in the last couple of years, in the "Phil Neville role" of playing literally everywhere. I'll be really sorry to see her go, but she's leaving due to work commitments, which is understandable.

* Ali MIller - Another really good player, often case in the supersub role; and a fantastic human being too. She's taking a break from football to complete her PhD, which again you really can't blame her for at all.

* Ria Elsmore - Ria didn't play that much which was a bit disappointing, as she didn't seem to put a foot wrong when she did.

* Naomi Bedeau - this is the really frustrating one, although you absolutely can't blame the player for this. She's moving to Newcastle, who have just been promoted to our division, to take up the opportunity to become a full-time footballer and do it as a career. She's not been with us long, but how can you be irritated at someone for following their dreams? The real problem is that Wolves have decided to stay amateur when so many of the teams around us have turned fully pro or semi-pro; we've managed to attract good players by opening all the facilities to the women's team, but unfortunately unless Jeff fixes it, we'll get more and more good young players doing this - I'm amazed no-one has come in for Tammi George yet for example.

Whilst we all wait for the men's first team to sign someone more exciting than a third choice goalkeeper, there's been a number of incomings and outgoings for the women's first team.

It's been mentioned on here elsewhere, but we've signed attacker Olivia Fergusson from Celtic; but we've had a number of departures, some understandable, some frustrating.

* Laura Cooper - Coops has been brilliant for us in the last couple of years, in the "Phil Neville role" of playing literally everywhere. I'll be really sorry to see her go, but she's leaving due to work commitments, which is understandable.

* Ali MIller - Another really good player, often case in the supersub role; and a fantastic human being too. She's taking a break from football to complete her PhD, which again you really can't blame her for at all.

* Ria Elsmore - Ria didn't play that much which was a bit disappointing, as she didn't seem to put a foot wrong when she did.

* Naomi Bedeau - this is the really frustrating one, although you absolutely can't blame the player for this. She's moving to Newcastle, who have just been promoted to our division, to take up the opportunity to become a full-time footballer and do it as a career. She's not been with us long, but how can you be irritated at someone for following their dreams? The real problem is that Wolves have decided to stay amateur when so many of the teams around us have turned fully pro or semi-pro; we've managed to attract good players by opening all the facilities to the women's team, but unfortunately unless Jeff fixes it, we'll get more and more good young players doing this - I'm amazed no-one has come in for Tammi George yet for example.
On my to do list to go and watch the ladies this season.

Another potentially excellent incoming for Wolves Women.

Ellie Wilson, a right back from Sheffield United.

Another potentially excellent incoming for Wolves Women.

Ellie Wilson, a right back from Sheffield United.
When they sign someone at this level does money change hands?
I take it that all teams at this level are full time?

When they sign someone at this level does money change hands?
I take it that all teams at this level are full time?

So, they're still amateurs... so when they sign someone at this level does money change hands?
Can't believe Fosun are fucking this side of it up too!
Late Edit...
Sorry Mr Bus, I didn't read that far back, it opens up at the latest post so I missed it... apologies.

So, they're still amateurs... so when they sign someone at this level does money change hands?
Can't believe Fosun are fucking this side of it up too!
No, it doesn't. Players can freely move around between clubs, so for us, it's a matter of attracting the right players with a combination of the facilities available to them and the opportunity to continue their "day job".

Whilst we have a number of players who would no doubt jump at the chance of going fully professional, we have others who we attracted from other clubs in divisions above then those clubs went professional as they didn't want to. The likes of Beth Merrick (who is a teacher by day) came via this path.

Reactions: jlo
Ah right, so there isn't a organised drive for the women to become professional then...
Is it actually 50/50?
Thanks for that.

Ah right, so there isn't a organised drive for the women to become professional then...
Is it actually 50/50?
Thanks for that.
It's not even that - Wolves Women players are entirely amateur, and only get expenses and the full use of the club's facilities.

Ah sorry, I actually meant 50% (ish) for going professional and 50% ish for staying as they are....
There isn't a strong undercurrent afoot then...?
But surely that will inhibit us, act as a constraint to joining the 'Big Teams'?

Went to the game this afternoon at Derby. Wolves won 2-1. First half controlled the game, quicker and much more talented than the opposition. Scored 2 good goals, the second a great solo effort from Amber Hughes although both were helped by Derby's undersized keeper. Off the pace in the second when Derby were the better side, not sure if that's a fitness thing? I wouldn't say we were hanging on, but if there were a 4th goal it would have been more likely to Derby.

Pleasantly surprised overall by the touch and control of both sides. With Newcastle being professional I think that fitness will tell, a shame Fosun prioritise other ventures

Last edited:
Went to the game this afternoon at Derby. Wolves won 2-1. First half controlled the game, quicker and much more talented than the opposition. Scored 2 good goals, the second a great solo effort from Amber Hughes although both were helped by Derby's undersized keeper. Off the pace in the second when Derby were the better side, not sure if that's a fitness thing? I wouldn't say we were hanging on, but if there were a 4th goal it would have been more likely to Derby.

Pleasantly surprised overall by the touch and control of both sides. With Newcastle being professional I think that fitness will tell, a shame Fosun prioritise other ventures
Out of curiosity, what was the attendance?

Back