• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Women Thread

Interesting point on the 'girls' thing. Me and Tilly will often talk about 'going to watch the girls', or 'the girls won on Sunday' when talking about Wolves Women or the Lionesses. I've definitely shouted "come on girls/well done girls" at various points in the games, as well as Wolves/England stuff.

When I'm talking about the women's game in general terms it's always womens and never girls (or ladies actually). I'd not considered that it could be seen as offensive/patronising/degrading, but definitely accept that it could be so.

Interesting point on the 'girls' thing. Me and Tilly will often talk about 'going to watch the girls', or 'the girls won on Sunday' when talking about Wolves Women or the Lionesses. I've definitely shouted "come on girls/well done girls" at various points in the games, as well as Wolves/England stuff.

When I'm talking about the women's game in general terms it's always womens and never girls (or ladies actually). I'd not considered that it could be seen as offensive/patronising/degrading, but definitely accept that it could be so.
I try really hard not to be a dinosaur but with this subject as with many others, context is key?
I will conduct a survey of all the adult females I know to see how many find this insulting etc.
I think most will wonder what I'm going on about as they pretty much all refer to themselves as 'the girls' and that's ages 25-70. If it turns out I'm talking bollocks, I'll change my attitude.

As with any group self identification is different. A woman saying 'I'm going out with the girls', is contextually different to a man using the same word, which comes across as patronising and belittling certainly to both my wife and adult daughter anyway. It's grounded in inferiority imo

As with any group self identification is different. A woman saying 'I'm going out with the girls', is contextually different to a man using the same word, which comes across as patronising and belittling certainly to both my wife and adult daughter anyway. It's grounded in inferiority imo
I shall check with my female family and friends, I don't believe any of them have felt belittled or patronised when referred to as girls, it's just a term of reference as far as I'm concerned. If they tell me otherwise them I'll refrain from using it.

I try really hard not to be a dinosaur but with this subject as with many others, context is key?
I will conduct a survey of all the adult females I know to see how many find this insulting etc.
I think most will wonder what I'm going on about as they pretty much all refer to themselves as 'the girls' and that's ages 25-70. If it turns out I'm talking bollocks, I'll change my attitude.
I really hadn't given it a moments thought, but given my age and on a casual forum not considering for a moment the lurking dangers of context, I just used it as a 'general term'.
The highlighted bit will be of interest, but really as long as I'm not being abusive (and I think I have a reasonable handle on that) I'm not sure at this stage of my life I'm going to write something then before I hit 'send', sit down and ponder are there any individuals or groups of people this phrase or that word that might be offending anyone.
It's interesting that on a forum where in someone's opinion one person, man or woman, can be called a CUNT seems to be absolutely acceptable, whereas referring to the Wolves Women's team as GIRLS raises someone's moral antenna. However, I've got a lawn to cut...

Yep. Call my wife a girl and you are not likely to get a positive response from her!

"Koritsia", or girls/girlies, is an often used phrase here in greece, when addressing a group of ladies of all ages, and never offends any of them, in fact the older they are the more they seem to giggle or laugh.
In fact groups of people of all ages and sexes, are often described as "pethia" which is basically "kids".
Both are regarded as terms of friendship and affection, so frankly i find the outcry from some on here regarding the collective grouping of women as "the girls" or "the girlies" as offensive, makes we wonder where the world is stumbling to in this day and age.
At a time of huge global crisis, where people are starving, unable to pay their household bills, or feed their kids, i have to ask aren't we getting a bit petty, and don't a few individuals need to frankly get their heads out of their arses and open their eyes.

Well, if some old fucker in Greece is offended by it then I had better tell my wife to get her head out of her arse. Maybe I'll tell her to get back in the kitchen while I'm at it.

"Koritsia", or girls/girlies, is an often used phrase here in greece, when addressing a group of ladies of all ages, and never offends any of them, in fact the older they are the more they seem to giggle or laugh.
In fact groups of people of all ages and sexes, are often described as "pethia" which is basically "kids".
Both are regarded as terms of friendship and affection, so frankly i find the outcry from some on here regarding the collective grouping of women as "the girls" or "the girlies" as offensive, makes we wonder where the world is stumbling to in this day and age.
At a time of huge global crisis, where people are starving, unable to pay their household bills, or feed their kids, i have to ask aren't we getting a bit petty, and don't a few individuals need to frankly get their heads out of their arses and open their eyes.

First time I was ever referred to as 'youth' in the East Mids I took it as belittling, addressed by a much older and more experienced colleague when something wasn't going well. Was some time before I discovered it's wide spread use.

First time I was ever referred to as 'youth' in the East Mids I took it as belittling, addressed by a much older and more experienced colleague when something wasn't going well. Was some time before I discovered it's wide spread use.
Some fella called me "kid" as I was coming out of the ground on Saturday. I'm 42, I'll take that! :D

Well, if some old fucker in Greece is offended by it then I had better tell my wife to get her head out of her arse. Maybe I'll tell her to get back in the kitchen while I'm at it.
If you read what i actually wrote, you will see i made it clear that not only is no one offended, they see them as terms of friendship.
But critics often read simply what they want to see, not what is written or meant.

Well, you see Dan, surely you're at it now!
Taking the context as Tony pointed out, I referred to Wolves Women as 'girls' and some guys took against it, somewhat mildly I accept, but in that same context, you are referring to a poster as 'SOME OLD FUCKER IN GREECE'.
You see?
It's just not good enough!

Taking the context as Tony pointed out, I referred to Wolves Women as 'girls' and some guys took against it, somewhat mildly I accept, but in that same context, you are referring to a poster as 'SOME OLD FUCKER IN GREECE'.
You see?
You see?
I think he's just resorted to being ageist, and assuming all old fuckers are dumb, but that's probobally due to a lack of something intelligent to say.
But, i'm guessing that might offend quite a few fellow wrinklies on this forum, if i am allowed to say that of course.
By the way dan, how old does one have to be to be and old fucker, i want to be sure i qualify, after all.

I wasn't assuming you were dumb. I don't think that you are. I also don't think you are actually offended by being called an old fucker either.

Well done for making a conversation about women all about you though.

I wasn't assuming you were dumb. I don't think that you are. I also don't think you are actually offended by being called an old fucker either.

Well done for making a conversation about women all about you though.
Not offended at all, i am an old fucker, well at least i feel like one after a day lumberjacking around my house.
No intention of making a conversation about women all about me, merely stated a difference here in greece, purely to show a difference in assumptions internationally, then it all kicked off.
I just think we are all getting a bit precious in these politically correct, "woke"? Days, frankly, and i think its spoiling a fucking good forum.

I just think we are all getting a bit precious in these politically correct, "woke"? Days, frankly, and i think its spoiling a fucking good forum.
I don't think it is being woke and snowflakey in this instance. For me, it's about context and educating yourself.

Unfortunately, we live in a misogynistic society and it is ingrained in us at a young age. It is up to us to educate ourselves to think otherwise. I didn't think anything about referrring to a woman as a girl until my wife said she found it patronising. I now try to make sure I don't do it.

I don't think it is being woke and snowflakey in this instance. For me, it's about context and educating yourself.

Unfortunately, we live in a misogynistic society and it is ingrained in us at a young age. It is up to us to educate ourselves to think otherwise. I didn't think anything about referrring to a woman as a girl until my wife said she found it patronising. I now try to make sure I don't do it.
Yes we do live in a misogynistic society, and to be honest we have done for a long long time, and well before political correctness reared its head.
However, some of us have lived with our circle of friends throughout that time, and i can assure you that none of us see calling women "the girls", as anything other than a term of friendship, dare i say, endearment, and if truth were known, certainly in my case i heard it mostly from "the girls" themselves.
I understand what you say when your wife made it clear she finds it patronising, that you now do too, but with respect, we are not all married to your wife, and move in vastly different circles.
Girls is hardly a racist, mysogynistic word in the normal swing of things and frankly not seen as such by ,(im guessing here) by many on the forum.
There are words used on this forum in everyday use, that are far more offensive, in fact the favourite "C" word is one i never use in front of women, as most that i know absolutely hate it.
Aha! Perhaps thats why i thought NSFW, stood for not suitable for women and got ridiculed for it.
Hey ho.

Back