• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your first Wolves game

First game: Wolves 1-0 Colchester, 14 October 2006.

Think I was in the Billy Wright lower. Only thing I can actually remember about the game is Jay Bothroyd scoring the winner in the second half.

Iwelumo and Halford turning out for Colchester.

My first ever game was on 5th January 1991 - I'd have been 6 years old. We lost 1-0 to Cambridge United in a 3rd round FA Cup fixture (start as you mean to go on!). Their winning goal was scored by Chris Leadbitter & Wiki reliably informs me there was 15,100 in attendance.

I was at a wedding in Cambridge (on the brides side) that day and the groom and his mates were Cambridge hardcore who were gutted they couldn’t attend. John Beck had his team on a roll and they’d already got the the quarter finals the previous season (losing to Palace) as a Div. 4 team and went on to do the same the next year as a Div 3 team before losing 2-1 at Highbury again in the quarters.

Place went mad when they scored. I was gutted. Suffered dogs abuse that day.

He’s a wanker. They’re no longer together. So y’know, not all bad.

It's no coincidence that Jinky started this thread the day after Waiting List-Gate. A desperate plea for credibility

speechless-nathan-fillion.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jlo
Blimey, what an introduction!
Yes it was. The Great side of the 50's. I was in the old South Bank, and it was packed. Honved were, at the time, considered the best side in Europe.

It drives me nuts that I can't remember which was my first game, it was either Spurs or Everton, year would have been maybe 69 or 70.
Only things I remember, Alan Ball playing for Everton. One of the games Hughie Curran and Bobby Gould were up front.
I remember my lads first games much better.

I knew Keith Curle was named on the programme as being in Reading's team but also he joined Wimbledon around then, so was never sure whether he actually played or not. Seems he did!

DmaGcXbXcAE316w

It drives me nuts that I can't remember which was my first game, it was either Spurs or Everton, year would have been maybe 69 or 70.
Only things I remember, Alan Ball playing for Everton. One of the games Hughie Curran and Bobby Gould were up front.
I remember my lads first games much better.
The first game I have any memories of was 1971,
Wolves 5 Arsenal 1

V Hartlepool 2/5/88. Would've been 11 guessing we went because the win confirmed us as champions but I couldn't see much standing on the Southbank. Remember having to wait until the corresponding game the next season before I got to go again, my dad also went to Wembley and left me behind. Wouldn't even let me have the match programme. Tosser.

Didn't live near Wolverhampton for most my childhood so first game was against Birmingham in 2000. We lost 1-0.

My second game was against West Brom. We also lost 1-0. Surprised I didn't give up at that point...!

Hull away in 1990, lost 2-0.
Not much to report in ways of making the match interesting. Attendance of 7851 and the terrace was falling to bits at Boothferry park.

Hull away in 1990, lost 2-0.
Not much to report in ways of making the match interesting. Attendance of 7851 and the terrace was falling to bits at Boothferry park.
I'm sure we had a rancid away record at Hull for ages. Went decades without winning IIRC. Same with Oxford and Brighton.

Boro was a 65+ year winless run too I think until *that* game under Nuno.

The Swindon game when Bully got sent off for twatting a Swindon defender after he hacked down Carlo Robinson. Paul Simpson scored from halfway as well and we won 3-1.

I'm sure we had a rancid away record at Hull for ages. Went decades without winning IIRC. Same with Oxford and Brighton.

Boro was a 65+ year winless run too I think until *that* game under Nuno.
Not sure on how long that run away at Boro was but it's probably the away game* I've been to the most and that's the only time I've seen us win there

My second ever game was home to Boro, we lost 2-1 and got "promoted" (well, the Premier league was created)

*I was lucky enough to see us lose at both Ayresome Park and the Riverside

Last edited:
The Swindon game when Bully got sent off for twatting a Swindon defender after he hacked down Carlo Robinson. Paul Simpson scored from halfway as well and we won 3-1.
That was 97, I think? Was also there for that one. Pretty sure Dougie Freedman and Paul Simpson both scored crackers.

Sheff Weds at home in the cup. 6th Jan 1990.

Bully scored, of course, but also managed to miss a penalty and Mutch skied the rebound. Wednesday scored two in the last 10 minutes - Shirtliff with one of them - and put us out.

I was almost 5 and sat on my dad's shoulders behind one of the goals (think it was the South Bank). Just remember plumes of cigarette smoke, lots of swearing (particularly by a chap with a lovely 'tache-and-mullet combo next to us), and not much else.

January 1st 1991, Watford at home. 0-0 draw. Obviously I was hooked after that

Notts Forest at home on 11th January 1964, aged 7. Wolves debut for Flip Le Flem (signed from Forest) and Alan Hinton's debut for Forest (signed from Wolves). The only time my Dad ever took me to a match. The only time I've been on the South Bank.

In my memory Wolves had won 2 - 1. In reality, Wolves lost 3 - 2.

First game I'd ever been to as an 18-y-o football virgin, just enrolled at the poly. One of the local lads took me - we're still mates. Even though it was a poor game on a cold Tuesday in November, a small crowd and we lost, I remember being blown away by the noise and passion in the North Bank. Couldn't wait for the next game.

Back