• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2023/2024 End of Season Worst VAR decision poll - Wolves.

Which decision was the worst to go against us this season?

• 9. Handball not given - Coventry Goal (Home FA Cup)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sniffer

Staff member
Reaction score
As promised, please see an end of season award poll for the worst VAR decision to go against us this season. As there is so many to choose from you can all have 3 votes each.

The Cunha “foul” for Hwang’s goal by a mile for me.

The final nail in the coffin for VAR imo, the other two I put were the soft headbutt and Kilman’s disallowed goal

The soft head butt - It's a headbutt or it isn't.
Cunha Foul - That was a desperate search to find a reason to wipe the goal out. Probably the point Jeff started his letter to the PL
Onana - Chose this one simply because they started the conversation saying it was a foul and spent nearly 2 mins talking themselves out of it

The Onana assault type decision was changed about 5 minutes after the game. The J Gomes penalty at Luton went against the guidance of handball decisions whereby if it comes off another part of his body first it shouldn't be given (Some sort of award needs to go to Howard Webb for conjuring up a reason why that guidance can change - players can deliberately deflect their ball onto their hands to stop a goal or chance for the opposition!). The Newcastle/Sheff Utd and Fulham penalties were given when there was no contact or contact was initiated by the opposition player. The headbutt wasn't hard enough (go on kids you have the green light to headbutt away at your pleasure as long as its not too hard). If you send one player off for a mistimed studs up tackle then you have to repeat the red card when its done again a few minutes later. Interfering with play now stretches the imagination that goalkeepers can have inspector gadget lightning speed extendable arms to stop bullet headers direct from corners. Games will not be re reffed unless of course a Wolves player throws his arms back at an opponent who has pushed him (off the ball) and the action doesn't impede the defender enough that he makes two challenges before a cross goes in that Wolves score from. Penalties can also be given to Manchester City players if they shoot over the bar but then afterwards collide into a defender who was attempting a block.

Plenty to go at!

Yeah the Gomes handball and Cunha foul are the 2 that most irritate me.

The Cunha foul is just utter comical and is a total contradiction of the “clear & obvious” mantra they keep telling us about.
Chose the the Onana foul as it set the tone and is a clear way of how an official can overthink things to much.

Voted for the Onana foul, blatantly taking out not 1 but 2 players with reckless abandon and no penalty awarded. He (Onana) did the same against Burnley recently (only 1 player this time) and a penalty was given

Voted for the Onana foul, blatantly taking out not 1 but 2 players with reckless abandon and no penalty awarded. He (Onana) did the same against Burnley recently (only 1 player this time) and a penalty was given
And it set the tone for season which is what has pissed me off the most.

The fact it was the same VAR who said it wasn't enough contact for the headbutt but was enough contact to rule out the Bournemouth equaliser exposes how utterly erratic VAR is with these clowns running it. Until the two are separated VAR can never succeed. Fuck VAR and Fuck the PGMOL.

It's genuinely difficult to choose a "top" 3, which says it all!

The Brentford non red card was hideous, so that made my top 3 along with Cunha v Bournemouth and the Onana GBH.

The Kilman headbutt was obscene too.

I initially picked almost all of them but reduced my vote down to the dives. I mean they’re all bad in their own way and particularly when you can draw the direct comparison to something they took a different view on.. cunha non contact vs the head butt.

In terms of points they cost us, I guess you'd say definitely 4, as these are the incidents that happened incredibly late in the game.

United away - assuming we score the penalty - draw instead of defeat - 1 point
Sheff United away - draw instead of defeat - 1 point
Fulham away - draw instead of defeat - 1 point
West Ham home - draw instead of defeat - 1 point (plus 2 points less for West Ham, which was significant at the time)

Obviously the other decisions would have changed the whole momentum of the game, and also the momentum of our form generally.

But you can't say with any certainty if we'd have got another 5 or so points (on top of the 4) and beaten Coventry, but it would definitely have meant for a significantly better season if just half of these decisions weren't wrong!

It's shocking when you see them all written down like that, and this is just 1 of 5 atrocious seasons!

My votes were:
- The headbutt. I mean. He headbutted him.
- The Cunha foul, Hwang equaliser. So, so pathetic. Absolutely laughable really.
- The Kilman header. This one is just so brainless to me. Kilman absolutely powers his header into the net from about a yard out, the keeper is moving backwards and Chirewa isn't even in his eye line anyway. If you remove Chirewa from the picture and then Fabianski saves it it'd be the best save of all time.

Out of principle I went for the 3 where VAR got involved when it didn't need to.
Cunha foul, Kilman offside and Fulham second pen

The Cunha “foul” for Hwang’s goal by a mile for me.

The final nail in the coffin for VAR imo, the other two I put were the soft headbutt and Kilman’s disallowed goal
Agreed. The Cunha one enraged me the most and made me finally cave to wanting this shit gone and consider not going anymore.

The soft headbutt is just ridiculous. Bigger contact than Cook on Hwang, ref staring straight at it, AND reviewed! Simply because a player doesn’t roll around, they don’t help themselves at all.

Toss up between Kilman goal and Onana. Onana is unequivocally the wrong decision so that one takes it for me.

6 absolute shockers for me......

Man Utd Onana assault
Luton handball Gomes
Newcastle penalty
Sheff Utd penalty
Bournemouth disallowed Hwang goal
West Ham Kilman disallowed goal

As you know I'm not a Wolves fan, but that Cunha "foul" was an utter, utter joke and surely even the most hardcore Bournemouth fan (if they exist) would admit that.

Back