• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

All time World 11

Argentina:

-------------------------Roa-------------------------

Zanetti---------Ayala----------Samuel--------Sorin

---------Redondo---Mascherano---Riquelme------

---------Messi-------Batistuta-----Maradona-------

Slim pickings in goal and at LB.

Heinze at LB?

Joel Bats could be your French goalkeeper.

Its a brilliant side, but you need Platini, and there are arguments for Papin, Giresse, Batiston, Tigana...

The GK is a strange one, probably highlighted by the fact the current number one can't get close to first choice at club level. Goycochea is all I can offer based on Italia 90.
Honorable mention for Simeone in midfield though, think I'd have him there instead of Redondo.

Love the front three with Riquelme in support.

Nery Pumpido for Argentinian goalie? Bloody good in 1986. Less so in what little part of the early stages of 1990 he played!

Scotland:

--------------------------Goram---------------------------

McKimmie---------Gough--------Weir------------Robertson

Strachan-----------McStay------McAllister--------Collins

--------------------Ferguson-----McCoist--------------------

That's not a bad team actually. Again too young for Souness, Jordan, Dalglish etc.

Possibly just before your time, but I'd bring in Narey at RB and Archibald up front instead of Big Dunc [who's cult hero status masks a limited, in terms of goals/success professional record]. No international career, for known reasons, either.

Belgium would be interesting.

Presumably most of the current side with Cuelemanns and Schifo in somehow.

Possibly just before your time, but I'd bring in Narey at RB and Archibald up front instead of Big Dunc [who's cult hero status masks a limited, in terms of goals/success professional record]. No international career, for known reasons, either.

Archie fucking Gemmill.

Souness, Gemmill, Dalglish all have to be in there. I would probably say Hansen? Also Denis Law for those old enough, obviously. I can't put him in as I never saw a match with him playing bar highlights. I do get Gemmill from Argentina 1978 though. At least we can safely leave Alan Rough out! Maybe a case for Jim Leighton but the fight for the place between him and Goram is a very tight one.

Netherlands:

--------------------------Van der Sar----------------------

-------------Stam---------Koeman----F de Boer-------------

----------------------------Rijkaard--------------------------

-----------------Gullit------Davids--------Sneijder--------------------

--------------------Robben---------Bergkamp-------------------

----------------------------Van Basten---------------------------

Total football there...

Would have liked to get Seedorf and/or van Nistelrooy in but no dice.

Arie Haan, Jonny Repp, Neeskens, and Cruyff would also be challenging for those old enough. Possibly the Van Der Kerkoffs and Wim Jansen as well.

Realistically if you were old enough, Cruyff walks in.

Dalglish has to play.

-------------------------Goram---------------------------

McKimmie---------Gough--------Hansen------------Robertson

--------------Souness------McAllister--------

Strachan--------------Dalglish------------------Robertson (J)

-------------------------Jordan--------------------

--------------------------Southall--------------------------

Gunter----------Coleman--------Ratcliffe----------Bowen

---Bale-------Speed---------Ramsey--------Giggs----

---------------------Saunders-------------------------

----------------Hughes-----Rush-----------------

Saunders can fuck off (sorry natural reaction!) - especially as you have 12 players

Paul Bodin left back?

Arie Haan, Jonny Repp, Neeskens, and Cruyff would also be challenging for those old enough. Possibly the Van Der Kerkoffs and Wim Jansen as well.

Realistically if you were old enough, Cruyff walks in.

You'd have to remember the 1974 World Cup as he didn't go to Argentina 1978 after being kidnapped and threatened. You didn't get to see foreign football to see him European football.

Souness, Gemmill, Dalglish all have to be in there. I would probably say Hansen? Also Denis Law for those old enough, obviously. I can't put him in as I never saw a match with him playing bar highlights. I do get Gemmill from Argentina 1978 though. At least we can safely leave Alan Rough out! Maybe a case for Jim Leighton but the fight for the place between him and Goram is a very tight one.

Souness, Dalglish and Hansen are a given for me. Not sure Gemmill get in ahead of McStay or McAllister though. Bar the wheels falling of at United season, Leighton had a great career but never installed any confidence in me. Goram looked like he could handle anything, especially any trouble in the bar afterwards.

You'd have to remember the 1974 World Cup as he didn't go to Argentina 1978 after being kidnapped and threatened. You didn't get to see foreign football to see him European football.

I know - and I can't include him for that reason. I watched the final sat on my dad's knee in 1974 but can I remember it? Of course not.

Back