• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

All time World 11

Goram was a brilliant keeper, would have him over Vaseline Leighton easily.

Craig Gordon looked good at one point but injuries wrecked him.

The GK is a strange one, probably highlighted by the fact the current number one can't get close to first choice at club level. Goycochea is all I can offer based on Italia 90.
Honorable mention for Simeone in midfield though, think I'd have him there instead of Redondo.

Love the front three with Riquelme in support.

Can't leave Redondo out. Look at this!

giphy.gif

It's Simeone or Mascherano for me, don't mind which.

Redondo was unbelievable - one of the great performances that night at Old Trafford.

Anyone up for running a best England XI on similar lines to the Wolves one that DW did with votes for each position?

Help keep traffic on the forum moving?

Don't mind running that if people want to do it.

Ireland is missing:

----------------------------Given--------------------------

Kelly-------------McGrath----------Staunton--------Irwin

Duff-------------Townsend---------Roy Keane-----------Sheedy

------------------Quinn------------Robbie Keane-------------------

Too young to remember David O'Leary and Liam Brady properly.

Brady was a fantastic player. In ahead of Townsend for me.

I'm surprised you didn't go for that great Irishman Tony Cascarino...

Missing Mick in that team.

Tempting (who doesn't like a striker who can barely kick the ball) but I did love Big Niall. Class footballer, not just a big lug.

No coincidence that Peter Reid's Sunderland totally fell off a cliff when he got old.

Missing Mick in that team.

Stan was better than him, gives you a left footed balance too.

No-one is displacing McGrath, what an incredible player he was. Saw him when he was knackered, probably drunk, not trained for about 15 years and about 38 for Sheff Utd in 1997 down here. Man of the Match by an absolute mile.

Stan was better than him, gives you a left footed balance too.

No-one is displacing McGrath, what an incredible player he was. Saw him when he was knackered, probably drunk, not trained for about 15 years and about 38 for Sheff Utd in 1997 down here. Man of the Match by an absolute mile.

Saw him in the same game, he was brilliant. Fantastic player - would fit right in Wolves now.

Mick was immense in Italia 90, just edges it over Staunton for me.

Ah, if we had McGrath and Boly either side of Coads...heaven (no slight on Saiss at all but this man is a legend).

Playing on one leg at USA 94 and still shut Baggio out of the game when he was arguably the best player in the world.

3-5-2 Formation

Peter Schmiechel

Cannavaro
Ferdinand
Desailly

Roberto Carlos
Iniesta
Mathaus
Xavi
Cafu

Messi
Ronaldo

Stapleton was a better footballer than Cas and Quinn imo.
All good though in their own way.

I was more having a go at him being "Irish" when he really wasn't :icon_lol:

That's why I didn't suggest Van Den Hauwe for the Welsh defender slot. A few caps but absolutely no qualification.

Stapleton was a better footballer than Cas and Quinn imo.
All good though in their own way.

Anyone else remember Stapleton [and Wilkins] playing for Wolves in a friendly/testimonial (John Richards?) at Molineux. Lev Yashin did a lap of honour so it must have been a Moscow Dynamo anniversary. Can't recall but I think he may have been in a wheelchair even then. Early 80's I reckon - I was definitely in the North Bank.

Stapleton and Wilkins were a class above everyone else on the pitch and considering the game meant nothing to them really put effort into it.

Back