• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 1 - 1 Wolves: The Verdict

We are a decent team and capable against anyone. If we upgrade 2 or 3 key positions (especially for players who take chances regularly) we will be a very good team. We gave Arsenal a scare and deserved to win and 2 years ago no one would have predicted that sentence. Funnily enough my Arsenal supporting relative expected to beat us easily. I couldn't argue that but suggested that in 5 years thing might be very different.

I think it's worth shouting out Ryan Bennett. After a couple of shaky outings starting with Watford, I thought he was superb today.

Mate who offered me a ticket I couldn't take due to the time (Arsenal end) said he was very impressed with us and that we deserved to win. He did always say we need to cut out the diving and gamesmanship. So I sent him a link of Arteta getting Millijas sent off.

Agreed. Was the Twitter scapegoat if late but was immense in thst back three.

I think it's worth shouting out Ryan Bennett. After a couple of shaky outings starting with Watford, I thought he was superb today.

Completely agree. I think people have been overly harsh on Bennett when all of our back 5 have been culpable at times over the past few weeks, today he was superb along with Cody and Boly. Special mention for Cody's ability to read the game and intercept attacks.

A brilliant day out. We were superb for first half, not as good second but that was as much to do with Arsenal actually starting to play.
Agree with whoever said that MGW should have been on earlier & his last minute shot deserved to have been the winner.

Also agree with Lycan - Atwell is a prick. Continually blowing for nothing events

I thought Traore was superb too. His superior pace was evident such as when he skinned Holding and should have scored, he was involved in the move where Jota could have scored and not forgetting what would have been a GOTM contender from MGW

Great effort from MGW,but what's traore doing,just standing there back to the goal watching,not prepared at all if something happens

So after 12 games we have 16 points. That's fine
What have we learnt from those games?
Defensively we are decent at this level.
Nobody has stuffed us. Only Watford have done us tactically.
We are not afraid to have a real go at top sides. Man United , City and Arsenal were all deserved points and Spurs could and should have been.
Overall we need to be more clinical but I am not saying that today. Against Arsenal we came up against a goalkeeper who did everything right, quick off his line and great on his angles. Excellent performance from him. And while the possession stats make it look a bit backs to the wall it wasn't like that. We defended really well and were undone unluckily .

It's the games against Huddersfield and Cardiff that are the ones we need to be winning. These results against top 6 clubs are great at showing intent and sending a statement but that has to be backed up by beating teams nearer the bottom. Overall, we are here on merit.

I think it shows you have to attack these sides who usually finish top six because many of their forward players are defensive liabilities. By attacking them you make them change shape and selection reducing their threat. Many sides sign players for what they can do on the ball not without it.

I think it shows you have to attack these sides who usually finish top six because many of their forward players are defensive liabilities. By attacking them you make them change shape and selection reducing their threat. Many sides sign players for what they can do on the ball not without it.

I don't think we did attack Arsenal yesterday. We played on the counter with a deep press. I thought it was one of our poorer games with the ball, Moutinho had a stinker possession wise, Doherty let a couple run under his feet and Costa passed two balls straight of of play from 5 yards. Having said that, we did a number on Arsenal defensively and that was a Nuno tactical masterclass.

It suited our players to be left isolated against inferior defenders so I agree with you there. The back 3 we're fantastic and I think that's Jonny's best game for us. Raul was my MotM, defended from the front and can play any of the three front positions with ease. Another assist to boot.

MGW is a quality player and I think he's pushing Moutinho for a start.

I'm sitting here on the wall outside the Emirates and thinking how the fuck haven't we won this game. Wolves were brilliant today and fought and played till the end.
A cracking away day, really enjoyed it. We did leave the stadium slightly muted at drawing rather than winning, but it was a great game to watch. Really proud of the whole team.

Yeah, Raul played as one of the inside forwards a fair bit and did well, probably better than the rest defensively! He's perfect for Nuno. He's really good at pressing, just sometimes the rest aren't pressing so it doesn't really work

I don't think we did attack Arsenal yesterday. We played on the counter with a deep press. I thought it was one of our poorer games with the ball, Moutinho had a stinker possession wise, Doherty let a couple run under his feet and Costa passed two balls straight of of play from 5 yards. Having said that, we did a number on Arsenal defensively and that was a Nuno tactical masterclass.

It suited our players to be left isolated against inferior defenders so I agree with you there. The back 3 we're fantastic and I think that's Jonny's best game for us. Raul was my MotM, defended from the front and can play any of the three front positions with ease. Another assist to boot.

MGW is a quality player and I think he's pushing Moutinho for a start.

I thought Arsenal expected to bully us by selecting forward thinking players who have little wish to defend when required and didn't expect the first half attacking threat Wolves produced. Then at half time they recognised the need to close out a few of our passing options through midfield by introducing a player who plays more in the middle third.

I thought Arsenal expected to bully us by selecting forward thinking players who have little wish to defend when required and didn't expect the first half attacking threat Wolves produced. Then at half time they recognised the need to close out a few of our passing options through midfield by introducing a player who plays more in the middle third.

Strange how we see different things. I'm not sure any side can bully another with Ozil and Iwobi in their midfield, two lighter weight players would be hard to find. Guendouzi was clearly a deeper player with more bite as Xhaka was having a shocker in that position and he started to win the ball in the midfield third and start attacks further up the pitch. I thought he and Leno were the difference makers in the second half for Arsenal.

I think you may have forgotten that our goal was the result of a Xhaka brain fart and not of expansive play on our part.

Back