• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 1 - 1 Wolves: The Verdict

Back home now after a chilly night as my son's new house has no heating till the new boiler gets connected (he's doing that on the cheap with a friend who is Corgi Gas Approved so can only do it on his days off) not helped by the fact that there is no functioning kitchen as he's only been in a week & already blocked off the through lounge/diner & removed the wall between the kitchen & dining room to open up the back half of the house - didn't even get breakfast as he had nothing in so had to use Starbuck's at Fleet services & I normally avoid them like the plague!

On balance, whilst I was disappointed when I left the ground, now I can see the value of that point (particularly after 3 defeats) - we attacked with purpose & gave them a very uncomfortable afternoon. Not all teams outside the top 6 will try that & they clearly don't like it.

Yes we do need to be more clinical, but realistically if Jay Leno (or Bernd - whichever one it was) hadn't been at the top of his game then we would have scored more than 1 before they got their fluke goal - that was an intended cross & took everyone by surprise (Rui/our defence/their attack & even Mkhitaryan himself) - 8 times out of 10 that comes in higher than the goal or just outside the post.

Thought that Neves & Moutinho weren't at their best yesterday (and had extra pressure when Emery made the first change to beef up the midfield) - would have been inclined to bring MGW on a bit earlier to counter that - really don't think that he is that far off getting a start from the beginning (probably Moutinho makes way) - Neves needs to stop shooting when the away fans call for it wherever he is near the edge of the box - wait till you are in a position to have full control of the ball & the angle to give a reasonable chance of it being on target.

All in all it's a fair start to our PL journey - we have not really been been outclassed (though Watford did out think us) & the team/squad is still learning. Was thinking that Bennett had reached his ceiling, but he was back yesterday at his best so Dendocker still has work to do to get in there.

I'll mention it as no-one else has, but early on Bennett blocked off an attacker (Iowbi?) in the box, and was fully expecting Attwell to stab us in the back with a penalty decision. Anyone else thought we escaped that ?

I'll mention it as no-one else has, but early on Bennett blocked off an attacker (Iowbi?) in the box, and was fully expecting Attwell to stab us in the back with a penalty decision. Anyone else thought we escaped that ?

If it's the one I remember seeing (though Bennett may well have done that more than once) - then from the way he played it wasn't that obvious a foul. Bennett has some weaknesses, but he does seem quite adept at that.

Can't remember the incident and Sky's very comprehensive highlights didn't show any kind of pen appeal (other than our half hearted Holding on Raul one) so I'd say it wasn't an issue.

Always worth reviewing incidents unless it's blatantly obvious at the time, Darlo was adamant in real time that we got away with a stonewaller at United, Jonny on Valencia I think....nope, nothing like. I mean anything is possible with Prattwell but I think that was actually the best I've ever seen him perform in one of our games. A very low bar and not to say he was good, but there wasn't any of the comically insane stuff that you normally get with Head Boy.

Strange how we see different things. I'm not sure any side can bully another with Ozil and Iwobi in their midfield, two lighter weight players would be hard to find. Guendouzi was clearly a deeper player with more bite as Xhaka was having a shocker in that position and he started to win the ball in the midfield third and start attacks further up the pitch. I thought he and Leno were the difference makers in the second half for Arsenal.

I think you may have forgotten that our goal was the result of a Xhaka brain fart and not of expansive play on our part.

Maybe the word threaten rather than bully when the coach looks to back you up with positions taken and skill set. Expecting you to adopt a defensive mentality.

I remember thinking that it wasn't worthy of a pen but that I wouldn't have been shocked at all if it had been given as one. Bennett blocked Iwobi very... Zealously.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Can't remember the incident and Sky's very comprehensive highlights didn't show any kind of pen appeal (other than our half hearted Holding on Raul one) so I'd say it wasn't an issue.

Always worth reviewing incidents unless it's blatantly obvious at the time, Darlo was adamant in real time that we got away with a stonewaller at United, Jonny on Valencia I think....nope, nothing like. I mean anything is possible with Prattwell but I think that was actually the best I've ever seen him perform in one of our games. A very low bar and not to say he was good, but there wasn't any of the comically insane stuff that you normally get with Head Boy.

Pratwell wasn't as bad as I have seen him, just incredibly annoying & inconsistent - blowing for a nothing incident then letting a worse challenge be made 10 seconds later. Didn't especially hamper us as he was doing that for both sides so at least unbiased

The Bennett block was very like the Mustafi block on Costa outside the box. Unsurprisingly the one outside the box was give as a foul.

The block is on MOTD2. Never a penalty, and Atwell agreed.

The block is on MOTD2. Never a penalty, and Atwell agreed.

I agree. All that Bennett did was hold his position. Iwoki chose to run into him to try and fool the ref. For once Attwell made a correct decision. Indeed, fair dues, he reffed the game well, considering what could have been the case. While our back three was superb, I don't think our midfield was. Jonny and Doc played well but the Moutinho and Neves partnership doesn't seem to be working. I think Neves' influence on the game would improve if MGM replaced Moutinho. I am coming to the view that Neves is deferring to Moutino too much, to the detriment of his own game. That wasn't the case in the first month of the season but of late Moutinho's lack of incisiveness and positional awareness is holding up the team. I think he just needs a break to get his mojo back. When he has played for Portugal, Neves has been much more dominant. I want to see him do that with Wolves again. I think replacing Moutinho with MGM might help bring that about. Nuno has done that with Jota and he looks a bit sharper now (although he should have scored on the break yesterday, a chip, rather than a blast would have done it), so I expect Nono eventually (hopefully soon) to make a change in the midfield. Given that, I'm very impressed with Raul. His work rate and ability are phenomenal and he is central to how we play. Raul and Jonny were simply superb yesterday.

Errrr

MGM is a film studio. Perhaps we should play the lion.

Assuming you mean MGW, which of course you do, then I think your sentiments are pretty much bang on, but I think it is likely to be a bit of a slowly developing situation. He is a fantastic sub at the moment though, and his contribution is hugely valuable to the team.

bet you that lion would break passing lanes wide open. you think traore is effective, wait till you see this guy.

I agree. All that Bennett did was hold his position. Iwoki chose to run into him to try and fool the ref. For once Attwell made a correct decision. Indeed, fair dues, he reffed the game well, considering what could have been the case. While our back three was superb, I don't think our midfield was. Jonny and Doc played well but the Moutinho and Neves partnership doesn't seem to be working. I think Neves' influence on the game would improve if MGM replaced Moutinho. I am coming to the view that Neves is deferring to Moutino too much, to the detriment of his own game. That wasn't the case in the first month of the season but of late Moutinho's lack of incisiveness and positional awareness is holding up the team. I think he just needs a break to get his mojo back. When he has played for Portugal, Neves has been much more dominant. I want to see him do that with Wolves again. I think replacing Moutinho with MGM might help bring that about. Nuno has done that with Jota and he looks a bit sharper now (although he should have scored on the break yesterday, a chip, rather than a blast would have done it), so I expect Nono eventually (hopefully soon) to make a change in the midfield. Given that, I'm very impressed with Raul. His work rate and ability are phenomenal and he is central to how we play. Raul and Jonny were simply superb yesterday.

Moutinho and Neves are class. But they are similar. Moutinho is 32. I see no harm in mgw starting the next 2 games and Moutinho a great sub for Neves or MGW. Options.

Moutinho is our best player why on earth would we drop him?!

Moutinho is our best player why on earth would we drop him?!
Haven't you heard. People are starting to hate on him. Knobhead behind me at the Emirates called him 'The Crab' all game.

It was his fault for the goal, and he was rubbish vs Watford.

But in general he is amazing. Our fans are dicks.

Haven't you heard. People are starting to hate on him. Knobhead behind me at the Emirates called him 'The Crab' all game.

Moutinho is superb, but is 32? - MGW is 18

A bit more energy there which is sometimes needed

Back