• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal (H) 12/11: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Farewell to league action for us until we're eating cold turkey sandwiches and thinking "I swear that tub of Celebrations was full earlier".

Expecting nothing tbf, they're deservedly top of the league.

---------------------------------Sa-----------------------------

Semedo--------------Collins---------------Kilman---------Ait-Nouri

------------------Neves------Bouba-----Nunes*----------------

-----------------Guedes-------Adama-------Podence------------

*Moutinho if Nunes isn't fit

Hwang's last Wolves goal was against Arsenal...just the 27 games ago.

2021/22: L 0-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2020/21: W 2-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2019/20: L 0-2 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2018/19: W 3-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2011/12: L 0-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2010/11: L 0-2 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2009/10: L 1-4 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2004/5: L 0-2 (A, FAC)
2003/4: L 1-3 (H), L 0-3 (A), L 1-5 (A, LC)
1998/9: L 1-2 (H, FAC)
1997/8: L 0-1 (N, FAC)

Declare an outbreak of something and forfeit at 3-0.

Job done...thanks Steve, welcome JL.

Not very confident for Saturday incase I hid it too well...

Last edited:
I'd go with DWs team but with Hwang in place of Traore (up the middle)

No sign of Nunes last night , doubt he's ready .

DW's team for me except Hodge for Nunes instead of Moutinho if Nunes isn't fit. Guedes in the middle of the three and Adama to the right a positional change.

Sa
Semedo Jonny Collins Kilman Ait-Nouri Beuno
Neves B.Traore Moutinho
Guedes

6 at the back, 1 in attack. We’re Wolverhampton, we’re on our way back.

Hodge played well last night and as a combination [we haven't got that right in midfield for two years] he worked better with Neves than Moutinho has done for ages. Show me any reviews of last nights game where anyone thought he had a poor game. Broke up play initially and then started to become more confident in the role and with his passes as it wore on. Complemented Boubacar well when he came on.

Alternatively keep doing what we're doing which has us second from bottom.

By the way, do I think Hodge is the answer? No
Would he be starting in the PL in most circumstances? No
But if Nunes is injured and we're playing a three, the choice to supplement Neves and B Traore is Moutinho, Hodge or Ronan. On current viewing it's Hodge for me but that's just my opinion on a fans forum.

No need for seven laughing emoji's at the suggestion. It's why other posters don't enter into discussions.

Hodge played well last night and as a combination [we haven't got that right in midfield for two years] he worked better with Neves than Moutinho has done for ages. Show me any reviews of last nights game where anyone thought he had a poor game. Broke up play initially and then started to become more confident in the role and with his passes as it wore on. Complemented Boubacar well when he came on.

Alternatively keep doing what we're doing which has us second from bottom.
What did Hodge do last night that made you think he's better than Moutinho?

What passes did he make that weren't safe and secure?

What interceptions did he make that turned defence into attack?

Was it his speed and strength against Leeds reserves that made you think he's up to the task?

Fwiw, I'm sure he's a nice lad but he's barely a Lg2 footballer right now.

By the way, do I think Hodge is the answer? No
Would he be starting in the PL in most circumstances? No
But if Nunes is injured and we're playing a three, the choice to supplement Neves and B Traore is Moutinho, Hodge or Ronan. On current viewing it's Hodge for me but that's just my opinion on a fans forum.

No need for seven laughing emoji's at the suggestion. It's why other posters don't enter into discussions.
Well, against arsenal we'll need to put 3 in midfield as that's what they do so Moutinho, Neves, Traore are clearly the best options.

Hodge and Ronan should be nowhere near the first team.

What did Hodge do last night that made you think he's better than Moutinho? Moutinho has been brilliant for us and goes down as one of our best signings and certainly best midfielders of recent years. However he's been poor this season and the recent bar he's set in so low that I thought Hodge made a difference last night. Sitting alongside Neves he stopped Ruben dropping deep between the centre halfs as he has a tendency to do and provided a platform for the CAM to play in a more central position. Did Connor Ronan have a great game and exploit this? No, but we carried a better shaped than the lopsided three man midfield that we've become used to.

What passes did he make that weren't safe and secure? Initially not many but in the second half he became more expansive highlighted by one excellent reverse pass from inside his own half to the left wing. That's one game - I don't recall Moutinho opening up the opposition on too regular an occasion this season either and the sample size of opportunity if much greater

What interceptions did he make that turned defence into attack? None that I can recall, but he regained possession on several occasions. Claude Makelele didn't often turn defence into attack but he often won the ball and gave it to someone who did. To pre-empt your reply, I'm not comparing Hodge to Makelele!

Was it his speed and strength against Leeds reserves that made you think he's up to the task? As above really. I think we need to find a midfield combination that 'works' and isn't just a collection of our best three players.

Fwiw, I'm sure he's a nice lad but he's barely a Lg2 footballer right now. Barely Lg2 is harsh, very harsh and as I agreed above he wouldn't or shouldn't be starting in the PL. I also don't think that Joao has don't that job well enough either this season. Our strikers don't score because they're not good enough, but Haaland wouldn't have 18 PL goals either in our team given the chances our midfield creates.

Last edited:
What did Hodge do last night that made you think he's better than Moutinho? Moutinho has been brilliant for us and goes down as one of our best signings and certainly best midfielders of recent years. However he's been poor this season and the bar he's set in so low that I though Hodge made a difference last night. Sitting alongside Neves he stopped Ruben dropping deep between the centre halfs as he has a tendency to do and provided a platform for the CAM to play in a more central position. Did Connor Ronan have a great game and exploit this? No, but we carried a better shaped than the lopsided three man midfield that we've become used to.

What passes did he make that weren't safe and secure? Initially not many but in the second half he became more expansive highlighted by one excellent reverse pass from inside his own half to the left wing. That's one game - I don't recall Moutinho opening up the opposition on too regular an occasion this season either and the sample size of opportunity if much greater

What interceptions did he make that turned defence into attack? None that I can recall, but he regained possession on several occasions. Claude Makelele didn't often turn defence into attack but he often won the ball and gave it to someone who did. To pre-empt your reply, I'm not comparing Hodge to Makelele!

Was it his speed and strength against Leeds reserves that made you think he's up to the task? As above really. I think we need to find a midfield combination that 'works' and isn't just a collection of our best three players.

Fwiw, I'm sure he's a nice lad but he's barely a Lg2 footballer right now. Barely Lg2 is harsh, very harsh and as I agreed above he wouldn't or shouldn't be starting in the PL. I also don't think that Joao has don't that job well enough either this season. Our strikers don't score because they're not good enough, but Haaland wouldn't have 18 PL goals either in our team given the chances our midfield creates.
I think that's harsh on João, I thought he played very well behind Costa when he was brought on and whilst he doesn't have the legs anymore he certainly has the ability to play.

Something I've not seen Hodge do. And I don't think he gets a loan out to a Lg2 club in Jan. Should just let him play U21 football for now as that's his level.

I'd rather bring Cundle back in Jan than see Joe Hodge again.

I think that you're referring to Joao's cameo versus Brentford? An away game I didn't get tickets for but yes, by all accounts, he had probably his most effective game this season. There have been plenty of anonymous games as well where his influence has been negligible at best. As someone who knows, when the legs go so does the timing and Joao's best defensive work came from his ability to time challenges and interceptions.
For some time I've thought that we should be looking to play Moutinho instead of Neves [if he was injured suspended] and not as well as. This is a Mendes/Shi/Sellars/Manager failing that we've now got to a position where the midfield is totally unbalanced. Hodge's development shouldn't be in the first team but we have to find a way to get the best out of the midfield players that we do have for the sake of the team. I just saw [against Leeds reserves admittedly] a better shape in my opinion, than I have at other times this season.

Low bar again, as we didn't exactly carve them apart I know!

No point arguing with Jonny…he’s always right. He knows it, we know it.
I'll stand down then.

It was just the seven laughing emoji's I took offence to for having an alternative opinion. Hopefully I've explained my reasoning enough now and will remember not to go in a different direction in the future.

I'll stand down then.

It was just the seven laughing emoji's I took offence to for having an alternative opinion. Hopefully I've explained my reasoning enough now and will remember not to go in a different direction in the future.
He's taking the piss out of me and not being serious.

You carry on.

Isn’t Semedo on a ban after his red card, or have I missed something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back