• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

I find bottles far more gassy than beer from the tap.

Still enjoy a nice bottled beer though.

:beerchug:

We haven't got a dedicated Beer thread to the best of my knowledge. I'm a fan of beer. So I thought I'd start a thread about it.

One of the reasons is that I finally tried a bottle of Innis and Gunn last night. I know Wolf Hunting and DDW have spoken about it a fair bit. I was quite impressed actually - certainly better than the rest of the $#@!ty lagers being served on tap (it was All Bar One in Brum - not my choice of pub but it was a mate's party).

Looking forward to some BATHAMS next weekend. Not had any in a few weeks now.

Ahem. http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?9619-Beers-you-no-longer-see.

I'm with DDW in liking Weissbeer but to be honest I will drink anything that takes my fancy. Nothing worse than drinking watery lager in town centres.
http://www.puritybrewing.com/own-ales.cfm
Purity Gold most impressed me recently but I wasn't quite so keen on the UBU.

Purity is lovely. Good call.

Mad Goose is my favourite Purity beer.

mmmm.. Bathams, I'm Jealous.
A few years ago when I played footy in the AFA we'd hire a minibus whenever we were away at Old Wulfs or Old Duds and make a night of it after the game. Generally starting in The Lamp for a few Bathams...Happy days.
Generally I'm on Bishops Finger from Tesco these days as there is not a whole lot in the ale dept over here. I'm gonna give the Innis and Gunn a try.
In bottled ales I can recommend McEwans Champion, but it needs treating with some respect as it's powerful stuff. I fill the car with that, Old Empire and Pedigree whenever I'm up in Northern Ireland!

So the general jist of this thread leads me to conclude that this forum is full of piss heads...

We just have good taste!

A couple of supermarket favs are:

St Peters Golden Ale
5217-3.jpg

Badger Fursty Ferret
Fursty%20Ferret%20Bottle.jpg

and Badger Tangle Foot
Badgers-Tanglefoot-Ale--8-bottles-63.jpg

In fact, anything from Badger is a pretty sure bet.

Fully agree I would recommend anyone to stock up with Badger ales when in the supermarket. They are lovely Hopping Hare is another of my favourites. A beer that has popped up in Wolvo Banks's pubs called Single Hop from IIRC New Zealand? Is bang on. It may be a guest beer so not around for too long?

South West Trains serve Tanglefoot on their trains. Granted, it's from a tin, but nonetheless it's still a decent beverage.

Fully agree I would recommend anyone to stock up with Badger ales when in the supermarket. They are lovely Hopping Hare is another of my favourites. A beer that has popped up in Wolvo Banks's pubs called Single Hop from IIRC New Zealand? Is bang on. It may be a guest beer so not around for too long?

Ooooh yeah, Hopping Hare is well bum. I'm not mad keen on there fruity/peachy/honey flavoured ones though.

Anything in a can doesn't qualify as a real ale, according to the bods at CAMRA.

It's a damn sight nicer than Carling out of a can anyways, that's for sure.

Anything in a can doesn't qualify as a real ale, according to the bods at CAMRA.

It's a damn sight nicer than Carling out of a can anyways, that's for sure.

Oh I'd still drink it. But it's nowhere near as nice as draught or bottled ale,

It may have changed now but CAMRA used to be more interested in collecting money from landlords than promoting good ale. When my dad ran a pub (M&B - Mild and Bass were the only real ales that he served) he used to have a visit each year from CAMRA and was delighted to pass the test. Right now you've passed the test can we have X amount of cash please so that we can put your pubs name in the Good Beer Guide. Being in the guide may not necessarily be down to the landlords quality of ale but down to his ability to pay.

That's definitely not the case anymore. Though CAMRA are far from perfect - they do hold grudges against individual establishments or individuals for some of the silliest reasons. They should judge on the beer and only the beer.

It's why I'd never get involved with CAMRA, though I am happy to support their cause. I've been a member since I was 18.

That's definitely not the case anymore. Though CAMRA are far from perfect - they do hold grudges against individual establishments or individuals for some of the silliest reasons. They should judge on the beer and only the beer.

It's why I'd never get involved with CAMRA, though I am happy to support their cause. I've been a member since I was 18.

Our pub was in the guide for a number of years but my dad did fall out with the local 'CAMRA' rep over why only Martsons pubs in our area won the local award. The guy from CAMRA was a former employee of the Marstons. The next time he visited to collect the subscription he was sent packing.

One good thing to happen when the breweries had to start selling off the pubs was that it meant that Landlords could get in Guest Ales whereas before this they were tied in to selling the produce of the Brewery that your lease was with.

One thing is for sure - just because a pub doesn't feature in the Good Beer Guide doesn't mean its beers aren't good!

Well I'm getting myself some Badger Ale to try currently 3 for £4 in Asda

That wasn't part of the promotion unfortunately.

I have Golden Glory, Golden Champion and Fursty Ferret. I will give them a try tonight with my pancakes!

Back