• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Yeah the other day with the Copper Coast I was just off Grafton Street so I suppose it's what you'd expect.

Sorry, just seen this, would it have been the Porterhouse? Bottom of Grafton, to the right, on Nassau St, beside a Subway? If so, thats a great boozer but you have to stick with their ales (they have their own microbrewery), as any foriegn beers in there will be marked up 10%. i was lucky enough to have lunch with the owner at last years Electric Picnic and he is a seriously astute guy....he was wearing a t-shirt showing how Hop plants are a distant relative of the Cannabis plant. Interesting fellow to say the least....

I don't know about the process, but all I would say is that The Good Pub Guide and CAMRA are useful only as a guide and I have drunk in 'CAMRA' pubs where the beer was crap 'Good Pub Guide' pubs where the beer and pub were crap. But as I say It's a useful guide.

The Good Beer Guide does have the selection to publication timescale issue. Most pubs have a track record built over many years which will support their inclusion. Post publication deletions are published.
My best practice is to make representation to the publican if the beer is substandard, almost invariably it is an oversight because the cask has run out, in which case the publican will appreciate the observation. Just be polite.
Real Ale is a fresh/craft product and as such it is subject to bad stewardship. Another feature is that good beer has flavour, not all good beers are going to appeal to all tastes. The mass produced bland keg rubbish attempts to appeal simply through mass media advertising to sheep.

Last edited:
Yep. Understand that. Wouldn't touch Keg it's tasteless.
Rule of thumb: pick a real ale, cask conditioned serving pub, if there are a good few drinking something, try it.
Guides are useful beforehand if you're going somewhere you're not sure of. They're aren't gospel that's all I was trying to say.
Keep up the good work, we're all after the same thing - and more of it.

That is complete bollocks and libelous. The integrity of the selection process for the GBG is paramount. Local branches use statistical data from beer score cards as well as subjective debate at the annual selection meeting, no money changes hands. The process is as democratic as it gets, it has to be.
CAMRA branches will however seek advertising revenue for local newsletters and guides without bias. Local guides will feature every pub although a single line of "no real ale" will say it all.

CAMRA life member and member since 1987.

So you don't have to pay a subscription to appear in the good beer guide? If that is not the case then I stand corrected however thats not what I was told.

realale.jpg

The Real Ale Twats are hilarious.

This issue's isn't all that bad, and Hazelgrove's comment is what made me think of them.

They remind me of my father-in-law.

Oh yes, Bluebird is fantastic.

If you look where all those beers are bought from (ie Waitrose) it probably tells you the kind of drinker that's aimed at, the ones who are more at home sniffing glasses then talking of orchards in may, and fresh cut grass.....

... and they have another Honey flavoured one which goes down easier than an American chick after 3 glasses of wine.....Have you tried Smithwicks Pale Ale? Its fairly new, not available everywhere, but decent enough if you fancy something other than Guinness or Lager in a boozer....

That's a very dirty quote you have there.
This is a good clean beer thread. We'll have no smut here thank you!

That Pale Ale Rob, is that on sale in your basement?
I've seen it somewhere recently but couldn't get to it for some reason...

Hi DDW this is the third time I've replied to your quote, I'm not sure if it's the Innis And Gunn or the poxy coverage I've got here? probably the former! Really is good stuff, smokey and sweet and I will be buying more.

You'll get Innis & Gunn in their big 750cl bottles in that dirty great Tesco you have there. but you'll pay around €6 for it! But the good thing about it is that when you've drunk your pint glass empty, you've still got almost a half pint left or it's great if you keep topping it up as you drink it. The loveliness just goes on and on!

Look out for the little bottles, of different finishes and try them all one after the other.
You'll be half pissed but you'll get a good idea of how they all differ. The best one is ffrom I think Bourbon casks... it's the black label.

If you like honey beer, Waggledance is very pleasant indeed. You can find it in bottles in most supermarkets.

It's not that unusual to see it on tap either.

Back