• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Langers, it's Banks's, not Banks. Sorry, but it's a bugbear of mine. Either way, Jennings are owned by Marston's ;)

Langers, it's Banks's, not Banks. Sorry, but it's a bugbear of mine. Either way, Jennings are owned by Marston's ;)

:icon_lol:

D'oh! I should've known it was Marstons. My bad. And you're quite right about the apostrophe.

Either way, it's not a very good brewery.

:icon_lol:

D'oh! I should've known it was Marstons. My bad. And you're quite right about the apostrophe.

Either way, it's not a very good brewery.

Wanker.

Banks's Bitter is a nice pint too. You appear to have a strange pallet.

Wanker.

Banks's Bitter is a nice pint too. You appear to have a strange pallet.

Banks's is very bland indeed. As are most of Marstons, though I don't mind a pint of Pedigree.

I don't have a strange palette, I'm just an ale Nazi.

I don't know what it is about Banks's Bitter, but about 2 hours after I've had a pint I get a stinking headache. It's annoying because I quite like the taste.

I've been enjoying Boondoggle in most Banks's pubs recently. Very nice, light ale with a citrusy taste. Coincidently the name of one our tunes. May I hasten to add that we named the track before Boondoggle hit the pubs!

http://soundcloud.com/zeligmusic/4-boondoggle

For local beers, I can also recommend Sadlers ales. The tap house is the Windsor Castle in Lye. An excellent pub that does really nice food as well.

Draught Bass in a good Bass house is fantastic. Poor Bass is evil. As with all 'live' ales it's all in the management and keeping, plus the volume it's sold in.
A Bass house that I used to use had a cellar immediately under the bar so the ale didn't have too far to travel and to be sitting in the pipes, also the gaffer reckoned the cellar was at such a depth that the ambient temp. would vary only 1-2 degrees all year round whether it be high summer or the depths of winter. (I think it should be served at 11-12 degrees?) Great Stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, a good pint of Bass is very pleasant indeed.

Banks's is very bland indeed. As are most of Marstons, though I don't mind a pint of Pedigree.

Old Empire, Strong Pale Ale - I'm starting to question your palette Langdale....

Old Empire, Strong Pale Ale - I'm starting to question your palette Langdale....

I just find both of those really plain. I'm not saying I'd turn down a pint of it, (same with Jennings) but I'd hardly say they were a quality beer.

Being from Burton on Trent, the home of brewing, I can definitely recommend Pedigree. Get a good well kept pint of it and it is very tangy. It's the staple drink of old real ale blokes round here.

I miss working for the brewery. On top of your wages you also got 4 points a week which could be used in the staff shop. 8 points got you a 24-pack of cans of lager and 12 got you a 24-pack of any Bitter. Brilliant. I used to have packs of beer stacked up in the house as I couldn't drink it fast enough!

Last edited:

When next in the supermarket keep a look out for Marstons Double Drop. Very nice indeed.

:beerchug:

We haven't got a dedicated Beer thread to the best of my knowledge. I'm a fan of beer. So I thought I'd start a thread about it.

One of the reasons is that I finally tried a bottle of Innis and Gunn last night. I know Wolf Hunting and DDW have spoken about it a fair bit. I was quite impressed actually - certainly better than the rest of the $#@!ty lagers being served on tap (it was All Bar One in Brum - not my choice of pub but it was a mate's party).

Looking forward to some BATHAMS next weekend. Not had any in a few weeks now.

Funnily enough I got a couple of Innis and Gunn bottles today. A bit pricey considering they were 330ml bottles but worth it. Very nice indeed.

When next in the supermarket keep a look out for Marstons Double Drop. Very nice indeed.

I had a bottle of that over Christmas. It was quite nice actually - not had it on tap before though.

I am pleased that Pedigree has been mentioned. Always was, and still is a mighty fine beer.

Back