• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Its only on draught at the moment Arklow. You know yourself.....ales are limited as it is....
I have many mates working at Diageo and they tell me that Smithwicks barely manages to break even, let alone make a profit so you can forget them bottling it.

You still haven't told me where you were charged €6.75 for a bottle? Thats fookingmadness, i wouldn't even pay that for a pint bottle of Bulmers in High summer and thats saying something!

Smithwick's is a throwback from old Irish times. It's not a real ale at all, more like some chemical derivative brewed in Kilkenny I think.
Having said that, the taste is ok if there's nowt else available, but for what it is, they need to drop the price. It's fucking ridiculous what they charge for that stuff.

It's almost like they don't want it to sell, they never promote it and never have offers on it.

Same with Murphy's stout. I'd buy that but Beamish win every time with there policy of underselling Guinness buy at least 10p a pint.

.... until I'm North of the border again and I can restock with something better.

When you're up there Arklow, nip into Sainsbury's in Newry and get yourself a few of those pesky bottles of Guinness extra stout 'EXPORT'. The label has a bit of red writing on it.
Two of those and you'll be topping up your glass a little, but at around 7.4% (I think) you'll have all your nerve endings sorted for an hour or so.

You can get it down here but it's a bit rare...

Tell me this you guys in the UK, have any of you had Guinness Red Ale (or something like that)? I know they brew a couple of ales, but they don't sell 'em in Ireland.

There's a little brewery in Enfield (County Meath) it's a lovely pint but they export the whole production to France and it seems about 10 outlets in the UK.
Can't remember it's name... Pelforth? Pelforth (Bruin) That's gorgeous if you can get your kissing tackle around it.

Guinness Red came and went. It was sweeter than Guinness, presumably for the "Guinness & Black" brigade. Never tried it and it's all but gone now.

tumblr_lqsuu5kAkT1qj499r.jpg

<salivates>

When you're up there Arklow, nip into Sainsbury's in Newry and get yourself a few of those pesky bottles of Guinness extra stout 'EXPORT'. The label has a bit of red writing on it.
Thanks WH I'm up there next week, I'll get some and give it a whirl.

Thanks WH I'm up there next week, I'll get some and give it a whirl.

After Sainsburys nip in to Canal Court Hotel for their carvery it's top notch! The beer's not bad in there either :)

I've yet to taste the delights the American market has to offer....Although not beer the JD factory is only down the road!!!

Hobgoblin does bad things to me. Sends my head crazy and always gives me hiccups!

Just finished a night on HPA at The Chindit in Merridale. Golden stuff. They had a good selection on. Shropshire Gold, Summer Breeze, Boondoggle and HPA.

Had a lager I haven't tried before Friday night Bittburger, it was excellent, if a little gassy

Had a few good pints of Golden Glow this afternoon. I noticed that the place I go for Sunday lunch won CAMRA pub of the year for 2011. They also have Cocker Hoop as guest beer next week, another great pint that has not been mentioned.

Had a few good pints of Golden Glow this afternoon. I noticed that the place I go for Sunday lunch won CAMRA pub of the year for 2011. They also have Cocker Hoop as guest beer next week, another great pint that has not been mentioned.

Thats the one I was trying to remember, its a cracking pint that, seemed to get loads of it a few years back, but haven't had any for a while

Thats the one I was trying to remember, its a cracking pint that, seemed to get loads of it a few years back, but haven't had any for a while

They sell it in The Star in Penkridge. It's brewed by Jennings's which is a Cumbrian brewery, so I would imagine there are more pubs that way that stock it.

Although I would only rate it slightly above average, Cockerhoop is easily Jennings' best. Jennings has gone downhill massively after being taken over by Banks. Their other brews are pretty poor IMHO.

That's also why you'll see Jennings around this region more than you did a few years back, but they really have ruined the taste.

I can't compare with how it was, but I've always found it a really nice drink, I guess the subtleties of taste are lost on me!

Back