• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bournemouth 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Oh, and to be clear, I don't want him to fail, I just don't think he's capable enough and he hasn't really shown anything in the past few years to change my mind.

Doherty has been $#@! for three years now. Sure, he was serviceable $#@! last year in League One, but he was still $#@!.

I haven't cared for him from day one and there's no reason to start liking him now that the clearly superior Iorfa is available. I'd probably play Stearman there rather than Doherty (slotting in Hause at CB).

Anyway if I was a betting man my money would say that the writing is more or less on the wall for Doherty and that he'll be sold to a low table Champ or decent League One side this summer.

How many times have you seen him play live? Honestly

Mate, if you thought he played well tonight then you either weren't really there or are far too biased (for whatever reason) to offer a balanced opinion.

How many times have you seen him play live? Honestly

Not many, clearly, but I keep up with the goings on as well as I can and I keep pretty solid track of each post-game report that comes through on these forums.

I've seen and heard enough to have made up my mind. Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I was pretty much done with Doherty when Kazenga LuaLua tore him a new one in our final game under Deano.

Sorry but Doherty isn't half the player that Iorfa is now (let alone what he might become) - out of position far too often & only got away with it because he manhandled the winger (& got away with it as often as not as the ref was not the most consistent I have seen)

And I have seen him live sufficiently to form an opinion.

Not many, clearly, but I keep up with the goings on as well as I can and I keep pretty solid track of each post-game report that comes through on these forums.

I've seen and heard enough to have made up my mind. Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I was pretty much done with Doherty when Kazenga LuaLua tore him a new one in our final game under Deano.

If I were to judge a player on one incident at the end of the season and then to base my options on other peoples reports I might agree Its different when you go to every match home and away

If I were to judge a player on one incident at the end of the season and then to base my options on other peoples reports I might agree Its different when you go to every match home and away

I've had this conversation many times, so I'll tell you what I've always said.

Far be it from me to have an opinion based on the best knowledge available to me.

I've had this conversation many times, so I'll tell you what I've always said.

Far be it from me to have an opinion based on the best knowledge available to me.

Alan I accept what you say Every manager at Wolves has picked him consistently Why?

They haven't though. McCarthy barely used him, Connor never used him, he was behind Foley, Zubar and Stearman under Solbakken, granted under Saunders he played a lot, Jackett hardly used him after October last season and he isn't really first choice now, Iorfa is.

Lots of people do not rate him for very good reasons - very slow, doesn't stop any crosses, doesn't defend the back post properly, gets caught out of position all the time - you are just going to have to deal with that. Jumping in to a verdict thread every time he is mentioned in a negative context is just tiresome.

No-one "hopes" for him to fail either, believe me, it would give me no greater pleasure if he morphed into Javier Zanetti overnight. However when he does play he is generally shocking and it gets picked up on like it does with any other player. He was a £100k League of Ireland shot in the dark when we signed him four and a half years ago and he still looks like a £100k League of Ireland shot in the dark. I don't know why Jackett picks him, the fact that he does (increasingly occasionally, thankfully) doesn't mean that we all have it wrong. Managers do silly things sometimes you know. I have seen 95%+ of all the games he has played at Molineux which is more than enough for me to come to the conclusion that he really isn't very good.

Ronald Zubar played plenty at Marseille. In the Champions League, no less.

Strange things happen in football.

Verdict - Bournemouth

After making the trip, fighting the road works, I parked at the ground, and joined the expectations of other Wolves fans in the ground. alas it was not to be.

First half we did not get going for the first twenty five minutes and they put the ball in the back of the net after an uncharacteristic mistake from Stears one of a number that he did before they scored. We slowly worked our way back into the game and a delightful ball from KMac set Afobe on his way and with a cool head found the back of the net.

Second we were not at the races. Bournemouth played some good football and always won the second ball. They seemed to have an extra man whilst our defence seemed detached from attack. The penalty just took the stuffing out of the game.

Scores

Thomas 6 did not do a lot wrong, he made regulation saves, his kicking was a bit wayward, but he was very close to saving the penalty

Doc 6 he made a fair number of interceptions but I think this game was made for Iorfa and was disappointed he was not selected.

Danny 7 probably the pick of our defenders, I thought he would be exposed to the Bournemouth pace but he coped OK. Headed, blocked and tackled...still needs to work at his distribution

Stears 5 an off night for Stears he had made three small mistakes before the first goal and he gave away the penalty before starting to perform like he has done most of the season.

Hause 6 he played alright to be honest, I was hoping for Golbourne but Hause did an alright job. He was targeted with two always overloading him but coped most of the time.

KMac 8 MOTM played well in a midfield dominated by Bournemouth. It tried manfully to shore up the defensive side of midfield but this stifles his creative side

Edwards 5 struggled tonight with a Bournemouth midfield that exposed his defensive frailties. To be fair he was played out of position and he is not a defensive midfielder.....

RVLP 4 he can run....he bottles 50:50 balls, his delivery is poor, his runs were down blind alleys

Dicko 5 tried hard but not a lot worked for him tonight was well shepherded by their defence

Afobe 7 our one bright spark on the night, tricky customer, makes good runs, keeps the ball, but service to him was poor

Sako 6 not a good night for Sako, he was kept away from the danger area by a busy Bournemouth midfield.

Ref on the whole was fair and let the game flow.

Kenny 5 picked three wrong players IMO Iorfa, Goldie and Henry should have been on the pitch. Subs were way way too late

Fans 8 fair play most came a long way and kept up some noise but the accolade must go to the Bournemouth fans who started before the players came out and kept it going throughout the match and long after the final whistle

Thanks for the reports.

It appears that we can play 442, just need some one ever so slightly better than Edwards in their to make it work.

Some good reports guys - thanks.

Pilkoman - there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with people's verdicts, but you only EVER post to disagree with criticism of Matt Doherty, it's the only output you have whenever you post. FWIW I don't think he's as bad as most people make him out to be, yet at the same time I certainly don't think he's our best right back. Not even our best back up right back. But I'll happily respect and accept the opinions of YW, Edgmond etc who have seen him play more than I have and are able to post good verdicts of games they've been to. It's an internet forum - people will have opposing views to you, but constantly picking on these posts (and ONLY the parts about this one player) isn't a useful contribution.

Every time we come up against anyone with any nous it ends the same way. We have only played 2 decent teams this year, and we have been well beaten by both.

Best we can hope for is a draw on Saturday in my view.

Why is it the best we can hope for, against a decent side who we beat away in December? Before we had Afobe and had just come out of a pretty shocking run of form? Or weren't they one of the sides who have any 'nous'?

Absolutely no reason whatsoever why we can't get 3 points - let's hope for a better performance (going by the verdicts from last night from those who went).

Thanks to those who went for their verdicts on the team and performance. It is starting to look as though while we are a decent enough championship team, maybe we are just that little bit short of being able to get in the top six.

Win on Saturday though and we are right back in the mix.

Really like him as a player I think he has a great future I hope it's with Wolves
OK I have been watching this boil fester for a few threads now. Reading back there is a lot of criticism of MD. NONE of it is about him as a person , ALL of it is about his ability on the football pitch and often examples are given where he has made the errors that have induced the criticism. Stearman has over performed this last 10 games but he still makes mistakes and these too get highlighted on here. Doherty looks a little off the boil to me and has done more often than he has looked on fire. We are all fans, all want whats best and all have views based on our individual perspectives of the matches we see be they at home , away or on telly and each of them is valid. However as long as its not personal and its based on things seen at games I have no problem at all criticising or praising or seeing anyone else do the same. We can get a bit precious cant we

Every time we come up against anyone with any nous it ends the same way. We have only played 2 decent teams this year, and we have been well beaten by both.

And both those teams are in the mix for promotion. No shame in losing to them although I would hope for better performances from both games where both second halves we failed to turn up. However we have 11 games left and these include at least 7 where we are strong favourites to win. Bookies rarely get it wrong and we were not favourites against Norwich or Bournemouth. I am hoping we beat Watford as its a six pointer. But if not that still does not change the fact that for 7 of our remaining games we are strong favourites. Win these and its 78 points bud and that is there or thereabouts. nick a point off Watford and Derby and thats 80! I had us as a top 10 side this year with a hope of a challenge and that we are. Still time for others in the top 6 currently to have a wobble

If we lose against our rivals though that changes the points target. We could have done without losing yesterday. Two defeats and I think we are a very long shot.

Back