• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bournemouth 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Disappointed we haven't taken anything from the game and it does put a lot on the Watford game. Got a rare day off on Saturday so will be making the trip to Molineux hoping for that win.

Disappointing end after a good comeback, will be interested to hear the views of those that went. An attacking team away against one of the better Champ teams......brave or foolish?

I think we'll need to win 4 on the spin before the seasons out to break into the top 6, good test of charachter on Saturday to see how we bounce back.

Stats favour Bournemouth on the BBC so if they are correct it seems about right. Shame to lose but no shame if that makes sense. 7 wins from 11 games and we will be in the mix for definite with Derby Ipswich Bora and Watford to play its in our hands. Today would have been great but its not the end of the world slipping up to teams below us is what we need to avoid now.

Poor.

You look at the line up, and you would have expected us to attack them, but we didn't. Sat off of them, let them play through the middle of us and if there was a loose ball you knew which team was going to be first to it, and it wasn't us.

Manager after manager and yet Edwards gets a gig in midfield, it's pathetic. Last season Kenny avoided using him there as much as he could, yet since December he hasn't had a problem with it? It makes no sense to me.

Between the forwards there was nothing. Both too far away from the play, both too far away from each other. Dicko had a poor game but I didn't think he looked like he could go at full tilt.

Our wingers were forced to go and look for the ball, especially Sako, and when he got it there was little he could do except try to create something out of nothing. The Bournemouth players kicked him all game long.

Bournemouth are a good side, who play good football but they aren't anything special. It made me sick to see Surman giving Edwards the run around. Their play acting, harassment of the refereeing and cynical fouls were embarrassing. If they were to go up they'd get roasted in the Premier League.

The first goal was an awful one to concede, Stearman lets in a cross so easily, and Batth loses his man at the front post. amateur stuff. Stearman was lucky to stay on the pitch for the second I felt, maybe lucky that he touch from Wilson was so heavy. And Kuszczak should be saving the penalty. Apart from that Bournemouth created little of note, Kuszczak saved a tame effort from Wilson and Stearman did well to clear off of the line.

We never looked like creating anything either, except for the end of the first half. A magical pass by McDonald and cool finish by Afobe. McDonald came close himself and Afobe could have done better when he hit a strong shot but it was straight at Boruc.

Kusczcak - 6. Little to do. Kicking was shit and should have saved a poor penalty from Kermorgant.

Doherty - 4- lazy in everything he does. The warm up he strolled around like he owned the place, he let's cross after cross get in and Pugh turned him inside out time after time. He could actually be OK if he worked on his game and out in the effort but he won't make it further than this.

Batth - 6 - best defender overall, solid in the air and did okay up against Wilson. Passing was poor.

Stearman - 5.- disappointing. At fault in both goals. Beaten in the air too often I felt too. Improved visibly after he gave away the penalty but it was too late.

Hause - 6 - nowhere near as bad as he was made out. He is being played out of position, and therefore is limited attacking wise but he dealt with Ritchie (possibly the best winger in the division) very well.

Van la Parra - 5- poor performance, had so many opportunities to run at Daniels yet chose turn back or go inside. I think he lacks confidence, on the odd occasion he was direct and ran with the ball he opened up spaces for us to attack.

Edwards - 2 (generous) - there was so much wrong with his performance I could dedicate a whole post to it but the thought makes me angry.

McDonald - 9 - happy to talk about Kevin however. Playing against Bournemouth's midfield is hard enough but having to do it on his own is almost impossible, and yet he managed to still be the best player on the pitch. All our good player came through him, best I've seen him play all season. If I was him I'd refuse to play if he gets paired with Edwards again.

Sako - 6 - Bournemouth plays kicked him all game as I mentioned, and on the odd occasion he beat players and created openings but his crossing wasn't great tonight. We didn't get him in good enough positions on the ball.

Dicko - 5 - was always just too far away from the ball, or took just too long on the ball

Afobe - 6 - good finish, and when he got the ball he looked dangerous but he needs to restrain from dropping so deep sometimes or collecting the ball wide. It leaves Dicko isolated.

Subs: Doyle - shit.

Cheers Youth.

cheers YW i hate that with us,,we have the attacking players but prefer to defend and sit back rather than to put pressure and give us a chance to knick a win..wolves since mick imo..

cheers YW i hate that with us,,we have the attacking players but prefer to defend and sit back rather than to put pressure and give us a chance to knick a win..wolves since mick imo..

It's frustrating because both teams played 442, but both had different approaches. I know Bournemouth are a good side but they were so much more fluid then us, which was the difference in them being able to keep the ball in our half. It was also far too easy for them to get the ball into their forwards feet. Kermorgant most of the time dropped in to receive well but was given the freedom of the pitch to do so

Yes he was, but he's criticised Doherty so his brother is back

I don't understand the selection at all, you're asking for trouble if you keep your best two fullbacks on the bench and play Dave bloody Edwards as part of a midfield two, not to mention bring on Kevin Doyle when you need a goal. Frustrating but not unexpected to lose tonight but it seems we didn't give ourselves the best chance with the team that was picked.

Afobe's goal was awesome though, that's a plus! Let's go and beat Watford and get back in the playoff hunt.

It's frustrating because both teams played 442, but both had different approaches. I know Bournemouth are a good side but they were so much more fluid then us, which was the difference in them being able to keep the ball in our half. It was also far too easy for them to get the ball into their forwards feet. Kermorgant most of the time dropped in to receive well but was given the freedom of the pitch to do so

Yeah, a bit surprised we go that offensive teamwise..but if you do then you must play your game and play to your strenghts and not sit back giving space and make it easier for your opponent..

Can he. Not speak for himself
I can, and I was there but I chose to ignore you because the only reason you asked that question was as TT said, I criticised Doherty

Stats favour Bournemouth on the BBC so if they are correct it seems about right. Shame to lose but no shame if that makes sense. 7 wins from 11 games and we will be in the mix for definite with Derby Ipswich Bora and Watford to play its in our hands. Today would have been great but its not the end of the world slipping up to teams below us is what we need to avoid now.

We got what we deserved from the game on the strength of a very disappointing and disjointed second half performance. I'm probably wrong but I can't remember one shot on target from us in the second half. Certainly their goalkeeper had an easy second 45 mins.
First half was much more positive from us, after conceding a goal that a Sunday pub team would have been ashamed of. Stearman ushered Wilson virtually to the corner flag, but somehow allowed the cross to come in to their guy who seemed to be unmarked pretty much in the middle of our penalty area and he had a simple job of hooking the ball home.
After that we gradually got to grips with the game, and certainly bossed the last 20 mins of the first half. The equaliser from Afobe was as good as the first goal was bad, and it was one of those occasions when we didn't want the half to end.
We needed to begin the second half as we had ended the first, but Stears clattered into their guy, and the ref who was well placed gave the penalty immediately.
So instead of putting Bournemouth under renewed pressure we were suddenly chasing the game, and never really got on top of things again. All our guys suddenly seemed to develop a heavy first touch and we kept on conceding possession to the Bournemouth midfield.
Nice to see Kevin Doyle come on for the last few minutes. He had no time to impose himself on the game, but in my view a good servant of the club.
Bournemouth may well be in the playoffs but it's touch and go whether we will join them, on balance probably not.

Back