• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burton 2 - Wolves 1 a disappointing end to a good week verdict thread

Plus even if the stats do support it for this season alone, it's likely a statistical anomaly. I. E. Not the norm. There'll always likely be one team every season it happens to more.

I think the more important question is:
"How the fuck did Kightly have so much space to tap in an open goal?!"

The other question is: "why did our right side of defence decide to fuck off to the left and give Woodrow space to score a winner?"

We've lost to rubbish teams this year because we aren't much better. We don't have any right to expect any better. We aren't a top six team who randomly drops teams against the dross, we *are* the dross. (As Aiki says, we shouldn't be but that is neither here nor there)

The ex-player stuff is confirmation bias.

RVLP 24 games 1 goal aginst us

Adam le fondre 13 games 1 goal against us

Adam Hammill 29 games 3 goals one against us

Michael Kightly 10 games this season for Burnley and Burton 1 goal against us

So these players have played 76 games this season for their teams, scored 6 goals in that time FOUR of those have been against wolves. There is nothing in it. Its a myth. However this season it's not. Its fact.its also so so disappointing

Yeah but what's the conclusion? These players are only motivated to score against Wolves? Patently that's ridiculous. What exactly are you hoping that we defend against?

I think you need to accept it's an odd coincidence - as well as the fact that we have faced a load of other former players and NOT had them score against us, plus there will be seasons where not a single former player has scored against us - and a general consequence of Football League clubs swapping players between each other ad infinitum because there is no other sane explanation for it.

It isn't a nailed on fact, it's a stat you've chosen to interpret that way without a full and thorough comparison of all the other teams in the league. It might be that it is more than normal in a season for us, but that's always going to happen occasionally by the law of averages.

Yeah but what's the conclusion? These players are only motivated to score against Wolves? Patently that's ridiculous. What exactly are you hoping that we defend against?

I think you need to accept it's an odd coincidence - as well as the fact that we have faced a load of other former players and NOT had them score against us, plus there will be seasons where not a single former player has scored against us - and a general consequence of Football League clubs swapping players between each other ad infinitum because there is no other sane explanation for it.

I get that and I want to have the stats to prove it mate I really do but for some ridiculous reason we seem to suffer to ex strikers/attackers thiuthius year more than others.

It isn't a nailed on fact, it's a stat you've chosen to interpret that way without a full and thorough comparison of all the other teams in the league. It might be that it is more than normal in a season for us, but that's always going to happen occasionally by the law of averages.

Not labouring this but I have looked at every result for every team this season. Given this forums ability to blow my hypothesis out of the water for once I am on solid concrete!

You can manipulate any stat or figure to suit how you want interpret it.
What could be just as annoying is how many goals we've conceded after 85 minutes this season.

Their first goal - Where the hell is Coady? Not even in the picture yet Kites should be his man as he's our RB.

So no defeats to Rotherham Blackburn and Wigan please. This is a team that wins at Stoke Liverpool Birmingham and Newcastle yet loses to Burton Wigan Cardiff and QPR with pretty much the same players. It frustrates the fuck out of me
Just looking at Newcastle alone, they have lost home games to Wolves and Blackburn, drew at home to QPR, and lost away at Forest. And they are the best team in the league. It happens to every team, every season.

I apologise for saying that we could make the top six.

If we can't try to play attacking football on the ground against mighty Burton, what hope is there ?

No excuses about fatigue - we have a big squad for just that reason.

Just looking at Newcastle alone, they have lost home games to Wolves and Blackburn, drew at home to QPR, and lost away at Forest. And they are the best team in the league. It happens to every team, every season.

. I am not superstitious. Newcastle lost to us, then beat us 4 days later, the won another 7 on the bounce. Their blips are followed by decent runs of form. Our run of form is 2 or three games then a blip and the blip so often is against absolute shite

We have lost at home to QPR Barnsley,teams we beat away,Wigan, Burton, cardiff, and failed to beat Blackburn and Rotherham. I would say our blips top Newcastle's by quite a lot.

As I say, I know things happen to all teams but in terms of losing to dross and having ex players score against us, this season it is the norm rather than the exception. That's what boils my piss!

The thing that concerned me the most was that it seemed that the game plan was to go high and long to Dicko - the pitch wasn't so bad that playing into feet or down the channels was out of the question - why do the one thing their big lumps of centre halves would relish all day, and why stick with it when it was clearly failing? Really dumb football.

I apologise for saying that we could make the top six.

If we can't try to play attacking football on the ground against mighty Burton, what hope is there ?

No excuses about fatigue - we have a big squad for just that reason.

I am in your camp on this Jam. Regardless of some great results in January taking 1 point from 2 games against Burton is a poor return. Conceding injury time goals in both games compounds it. Once is careless, twice is bloody stupid.
Late goal v Wigan 88 minute Fulham equaliser 94 minute Cardiff winner 86 minutes, I am sure we can find more. Add to that the fact we conceded more in the first 15 minutes than any other championship side and you can see why it irks fans. In fairness we are not shipping those under Lambert.
Like all fans I just want consistency. Beat the teams we are better than, lose to those who are better than us.

That consistency considering our current position would probably get us relegated.

That consistency considering our current position would probably get us relegated.

I would have swapped wins against Newcastle and Reading for wins at Wigan and Burton. Widens the gap from those too.

We now have 5 home games on the bounce including Newcastle and Chelsea Wigan Birmingham and Huddersfield. On form that should be 2 wins 2 defeats and a draw. However what money we beat Newcastle and Chelsea, concede a last minute equaliser to Wigan and lose to blues and the terriers.

Frank sees 5 wins. I see pain!

So, has my sig been a racist comment for the past 5 years? I had no idea it might be from Roots ffs. He started playing for us when I was 9. I thought it was because he had skinny chicken legs

The thing that concerned me the most was that it seemed that the game plan was to go high and long to Dicko - the pitch wasn't so bad that playing into feet or down the channels was out of the question - why do the one thing their big lumps of centre halves would relish all day, and why stick with it when it was clearly failing? Really dumb football.

It was a pretty easy day for Burton's centre halfs, hoofing the ball to Nouha was a dreadful tactic, Burton sat deep so there were no channels for him to run and the centre halfs just headed the balls away.

Given Nouha's poor form it was really bad management as there was no way he would even get a chance never mind score.

Back