• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burton 2 - Wolves 1 a disappointing end to a good week verdict thread

Sat with Lycan at the Burnley game last season and we both made an effort to watch Edwards at #10, Afobe was up top on his own against Duff and Keane. So many times we'd knock the ball (fairly aimlessly) up at Ben, he'd do a manful job of holding off two blokes on his own and Dave was a good 30 yards away.

I can see why managers get sucked into playing someone like him there because his goalscoring record is ok, but he doesn't have the skillset to do the job properly above L1. He's turned himself into a decent if limited CM, stick with that.

Edit: Before anyone starts this isn't me having a go at Edwards, he's more than justified his place in the team since October. Just don't pick him where he can't play.

Correct. Edwards as number 10 doesn't work. Edwards' as central midfield is a first pick on form

And I know the players score against their old team's is a myth but it does happen lots to us. The 5 teams with attacking players who used to play for us only Fletcher failed to score. RVLP Hammill kightly and Le Fondre all scored in games we lost so if ex players score we lose is this years story. It sucks

Not sure how many times Edwards has played no 10 for Lambert but hopefully he now realises it doesn't work. Edwards has done well deeper but he doesn't have the skillset for that role. We have Bright, Ronan and Mason that would contribute a lot more in that position.

I think as others have said he is trying to work out what works and what doesn't and who he wants to keep beyond this season.

Dissapointed that Saville and Evans didn't have the same impact as in the cup but as I said to my Burton supporting friend we struggle to break teams down than sit back. On the break we are superb but we desperately need a plan B to break the weaker teams down and lumping long balls at Dicko isn't the answer.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Not sure how many times Edwards has played no 10 for Lambert but hopefully he now realises it doesn't work. Edwards has done well deeper but he doesn't have the skillset for that role. We have Bright, Ronan and Mason that would contribute a lot more in that position.

I think as others have said he is trying to work out what works and what doesn't and who he wants to keep beyond this season.

Dissapointed that Saville and Evans didn't have the same impact as in the cup but as I said to my Burton supporting friend we struggle to break teams down than sit back. On the break we are superb but we desperately need a plan B to break the weaker teams down and lumping long balls at Dicko isn't the answer.

Several errors today. Bod for Dicko, Mason for number 10. Edwards and Evans deeper.

Mason was injured today. Not that there weren't other options.

Edwards has played there twice under Lambo. Sheff Wed at home and today. As I said earlier, we barely had a shot on target on either occasion and we lost.

Several errors today. Bod for Dicko, Mason for number 10. Edwards and Evans deeper.
Indeed Bod in particular is very strange he was brilliant at Barnsley I can't understand why he would be dropped after that. Masons best game by far was against QPR at no 10 yet he has been shoved out wide since.

Scratching my head a little bit but in Lambo we trust.

Mason was injured today. Not that there weren't other options.

Edwards has played there twice under Lambo. Sheff Wed at home and today. As I said earlier, we barely had a shot on target on either occasion and we lost.

Sorry, didn't note masons injury. It is frustrating sitting here post match having Lost to a team who will do very well to stay up knowing that we have failed to beat them twice this season given our resources. These are the sort of teams we need to trwke 6 points off a season if we are serious asbout our intention. Sure you can cone unstuck sometimes but we are getting predictable against dross. Turn it around from now on please

Worth noting that in 08/09 we took a combined 2 points off Plymouth and Norwich (21st and 22nd). There was a 5-2 defeat in there too.

Decent teams struggle against rubbish sometimes, it happens.

Worth noting that in 08/09 we took a combined 2 points off Plymouth and Norwich (21st and 22nd). There was a 5-2 defeat in there too.

Decent teams struggle against rubbish sometimes, it happens.
Could be my memory but hasn't this always been a problem for us? It feels like it has to me.

It's a bit weird that anyone thinks today was a totally unexpected result. Third away game in a week, which means training can only be focused on one style of play (as in playing Liverpool and Barnsley required differing tactics to Burton). Also, if we are honest, we've been dreadful for most of this season and we are just turning the corner.

That means take the poor results along with the good results and relax into a mediocre season. Don't get too worked up about a result in isolation and don't get too excited about a good win -until we win the FA cup and then we go mental! ;)

Could be my memory but hasn't this always been a problem for us? It feels like it has to me.

Here here Norwich Rotherham Crewe Wigan blkah blah blah. DW insists its a myth I know but it really feels we fuck up to shit teams more than others

We got dicked 4-1 by Brighton in 2003 who were relegated as we won the play offs but that season we beat Sheffield Weds 4-0 away and Grimsby 4-1 at home. I just think when we do lose to a relegation haunted team it sticks in the memory.

Here here Norwich Rotherham Crewe Wigan blkah blah blah. DW insists its a myth I know but it really feels we fuck up to shit teams more than others

Statistically we don't mess up more to shit teams, it's just that messing up to poor teams (and ex-players scoring against us) stick more in the mind. Also, we're not actually very good atm (hence league position) therefore losing to a team like Burton, which should be an easy win, is actually a result that isn't too surprising.

Sure someone can chuck some stats up to prove either way though.

Crewe?

Our last ten games read

W: 6
D: 3
L: 1
F: 21
A: 6

Exactly, it "feels like".

I put a massive rebuttal of all this to Cyber once, he won't listen so just indulge him ;)

I put a massive rebuttal of all this to Cyber once, he won't listen so just indulge him ;)

Fs, you know we live in a post truth society so "feels like" always beats reality!

Statistically we don't mess up more to $#@! teams, it's just that messing up to poor teams (and ex-players scoring against us) stick more in the mind. Also, we're not actually very good atm (hence league position) therefore losing to a team like Burton, which should be an easy win, is actually a result that isn't too surprising.

Sure someone can chuck some stats up to prove either way though.

The trouble is its inconclusive. Sticking purely with this season we have the worst record in the division against the current bottom four sides. 4 ex players have scored against us this season and in each game we have lost. No other team has conceded to 4 or more ex players this season in this league that I can find and rather sadly I have spent the last 3 hours trying. It was often an ascilles heel in my opinion. This season it has been a real pain. I don't know why it happens but it does to us this season in specially

I do fear saying something then being pounded with statistics that prove the contrary.

I was trying to google some horrific memories I have with zero results. One being a great winning run with Guy Whittingham banging in the goals, I remember rejoicing in Bully coming back and thinking with those 2 we couldn't lose only to lose to Peterborough I think it was.

But then memory can be deceiving I could be talking cack.

The trouble is its inconclusive. Sticking purely with this season we have the worst record in the division against the current bottom four sides. 4 ex players have scored against us this season and in each game we have lost. No other team has conceded to 4 or more ex players this season in this league that I can find and rather sadly I have spent the last 3 hours trying. It was often an ascilles heel in my opinion. This season it has been a real pain. I don't know why it happens but it does to us this season in specially

That's fair I guess, but I think it's more to do with how poor we have been this season than anything else. Especially in a season that should have promised more (as in we're better than 18th but Zenga's lack of tactical planning and trainning screwed us).

Last edited:

That's unfair.that rebuttal was 2015 and I took it. The stats this year are worse so whilst I don't believe in superstition or shit the FACTs for 2016 /17 are that we currently have the worst record against the bottom four and we have conceded more goals to ex players than any team in the league this season. No bullshit, no myth, no spin just fact. What I want is for us to stop doing it in the last 17 games. So no defeats to Rotherham Blackburn and Wigan please. This is a team that wins at Stoke Liverpool Birmingham and Newcastle yet loses to Burton Wigan Cardiff and QPR with pretty much the same players. It frustrates the fuck out of me

We've lost to rubbish teams this year because we aren't much better. We don't have any right to expect any better. We aren't a top six team who randomly drops teams against the dross, we *are* the dross. (As Aiki says, we shouldn't be but that is neither here nor there)

The ex-player stuff is confirmation bias.

Back