• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff (A) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0sl0

Reaction score
So, Forest beating Bournemouth last night takes some of the edge off the disappointment of the other teams in the pack above us also winning - and maybe this weekend we'll see things get narrower, as we're about to face a rather shoddy Cardiff side that's been grinding out draws recently to avoid falling any further down the table. Combined with our away form, we should be looking to win this, so we can go into the game against Bournemouth knowing that a win there will get us right back in amongst the play-off places.

Can't imagine there will be any changes though, right? Even if Price on the right wing is a bit weird, and I'd prefer us to play Henry there.

lots of the top teams away this weekend and some facing each other

e.g. norwich v ipswich

hopefully they will knock lumps out of each other

Was considering going to this but I would have had to sit in the home end and the cheapest ticket was £28. The Cardiff supporter I was going with has decided not to bother now seeing how he's lost interest this season...

I think it will be a tricky game. Does anyone else get the feeling Edwards is being shoe-horned in anywhere right now?

Can't imagine there will be any changes though, right? Even if Price on the right wing is a bit weird, and I'd prefer us to play Henry there.

I don't think he'll do that tbh. He did it in a fairly misguided attempt to go like for like with Fulham's diamond midfield, and we got away with it. Cardiff don't play that system, they play standard 4-4-2 under Long Ball Russ. We changed on Tuesday after winning 5-0 so it isn't like he refuses to change the team just because we won well in the last game.

I think we'll go:

---------------------------Kuszczak------------------------

Iorfa--------------Batth-----------Stearman----------Golbourne

Henry------------Edwards--------McDonald-----------Sako

------------------Afobe------------Dicko--------------------------

I would play Price rather than Edwards personally.

2014/15: W 1-0 (H)
2012/13: L 1-2 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2008/9: D 2-2 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2007/8: W 3-0 (H), W 3-2 (A), L 0-2 (A, FAC)
2006/7: L 1-2 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2005/6: W 2-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2004/5: L 2-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)

Hopefully our counter-attacking style should see off this lot.

I'd like to see VLP start this one.

We have an ok record against this lot and there are usually goals. Cant see this being an exception. I think 1-1 or we will win by the odd goal in 3

I think KJ will mix it up a bit either on Saturday or at Bournemouth

..............Kuszczak
Iorfa....Batth...Stearman..Golbourne
RVLP.....Price..McDonald....Sako
..............Doyle
...................Dicko

McCarey, Doherty, EEL, Hause, Edwards, Henry, Afobe

I think KJ will mix it up a bit either on Saturday or at Bournemouth

..............Kuszczak
Iorfa....Batth...Stearman..Golbourne
RVLP.....Price..McDonald....Sako
..............Doyle
...................Dicko

McCarey, Doherty, EEL, Hause, Edwards, Henry, Afobe

Would definitely be interesting to see the reaction were Doyle to start.

He'd better bloody not!

Hopefully we go back to the Rotherham team but with price in for Edwards. May as well keep going for it we need wins and Cardiff have nothing for us to fear.

Only injury or defeats will stop Afobe and Dicko starting all the remaining games

No team can really afford to rest their best players. Particularly in the championship. We need wins so the best team has to play.

We've been fortunate enough to be able to rest both Dicko and Afobe when the games have been over recently, both will be fit enough and sharp enough over the next couple of weeks to start the games. Let's hope we can get an early goal in this one too.

I was a bit concerned about the way Golbourne gave the ball away against Fulham esp. in the first 30 mins and the way Fofana? came inside him and got a shot away. Luckily the shot missed but the chance was created quite easily.

KJ said he had no injury worries for Saturday but they were monitoring Golbournes foot for some reason. It's obviously not 100% and he may decide to bring Hause into the back 4 to replace him.

They still have to be careful with him. I wouldn't be that surprised to see Hause either, away at a team who will be very direct Hause might give us some much needed extra height at the back too if he was to play. Plus he gets some more game time which is important for his development.

If we can avoid it I would though because Golbourne is important to how we play. He completed the second most passes of all the players in our team (McDonald first as always)

Maybe Kenny will try and protect Golbourne with the Bournemouth game in mind and use Hause against the launch it forward merchants Cardiff City. Horses for courses.

Be amazed if Doyle starts.
Can see the logic in Hause coming in (or on partway through) for Golbourne.
I think we need to be looking to win this game. We're in a no mans land at the mo. Not quite out of contention, but we're cut off from the 2 groups. I doubt anyone 9th or below has a realistic chance of getting into the play offs, so we need to concertina the top up a bit.

If we win & Bournemouth don't, tuesdays game could become VERY tasty!

I'd go for:-

---------------------------Kuszczak------------------------

Iorfa--------------Batth-----------Stearman----------Golbourne

---------------------Price--------McDonald-----------------------

---RVLP---------------------Afobe------------------------------Sako

------------------------------Dicko-----------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back