• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

We don't score that goal yesterday if RAN recieves the ball in the same area as Bueno, his end product is really poor. I actually think he's better defensively than going forward, he's got lovely feet but that's about it, decision making and delivery are both substandard really.
He did have a run of games last season where we were actually scoring goals and he was actively involved in most of them.

Then Bibs & Cones dropped him for Marçal, where attacks went to die.

We don't score that goal yesterday if RAN recieves the ball in the same area as Bueno, his end product is really poor. I actually think he's better defensively than going forward, he's got lovely feet but that's about it, decision making and delivery are both substandard really.
By infront of I meant instead of Podence and on the pitch rather than instead of Bueno. Anyway I wouldn't do it.

While we are certainly not in a very good position currently, in the table, performance wise or as a wider club, the teams that are beating us are also bang average. We don't need performance levels to increase too much to be bettering much of what I've seen this season.

First half we were okay, kept them relatively quiet and without really looking like scoring ourselves at any point we could have gone in 3-1 up. If Neves's free kick hits the inside rather than the outside of the post we win.

The second half was terrible though and resembled the last knockings of Nuno's era. The substitutions sucked any forward thinking out of our game and the outcome seemed inevitable. We so rarely raise our game again once the tempo has dropped. Leadership looked sadly missing last night and international players looked lost and defeated.

Great debut from Bueno a rare positive. I'm one that would have down marked Collins last night [small numbers share my view I know] and while the flair [or lack of flair] players deserve the flack they get at times, he isn't the pillar of strength yet that we hoped he would be. He looked uncomfortable on the ball again [admittedly there's little movement ahead] and was too easily beaten on more than one occasion by the slide rule pass inside him. Positionally he doesn't quite seem to be on the same wavelength yet although that can't be helped by having a different full back alongside him again.

By infront of I meant instead of Podence and on the pitch rather than instead of Bueno. Anyway I wouldn't do it.

I get that but we'd be replacing someone who flits in and out but when he does get on the ball in good areas has quality and end product with someone who doesn't. Not much of a replacement.

Biggest difference in that move yesterday for me was the space Bueno had and the ball actually played well ahead of him to run onto. Gave him a really good opportunity to deliver early whilst attackers were still heading in to the box rather than stood in there stationary.

Lot of ropey deliveries get put in by Wolves' fullbacks, and wingbacks before them, but they get precious few good crossing opportunities to help with that. When they ball out to them is slow and the move as a whole so laboured that they're delivering into a packed box then they've little hope.

Biggest difference in that move yesterday for me was the space Bueno had and the ball actually played well ahead of him to run onto. Gave him a really good opportunity to deliver early whilst attackers were still heading in to the box rather than stood in there stationary.

Lot of ropey deliveries get put in by Wolves' fullbacks, and wingbacks before them, but they get precious few good crossing opportunities to help with that. When they ball out to them is slow and the move as a whole so laboured that they're delivering into a packed box then they've little hope.

Doesn't happen as much as it should but there's been multiple times Ait Nouri has been driving like that but he doesn't cross it as early, tries to take the defender on or get to the byline before he delivers. Whether that was by instruction or not is a different story.

Buenos performance last night was I what I expect from RAN, jury is still out on Rayan imo.
Yes I know it was only one match.

I want to caveat this with the point it really isn't Joe's fault he's not good enough and is Davis and Collins atrocious decision to play him.

Defensively he took up the wrong positions both in 1v1 and positionally so he couldn't affect the game under pressure or through anticipation. 1v1 was because he didn't have the physical attributes at PL level, his speed, acceleration, strength and agility aren't there.

When we were in possession he took up the wrong angles to receive the ball, his movement was behind players so unable to receive a pass it take defenders out of position and his spatial awareness was easy to pick up as he would move in front of defenders so they could easily see his movements.

When he had the ball his thought process was too slow which meant runners off the ball were out of sync and play became even slower (the Guedes offside for Collins howler).

His lack of technical ability meant his first touch was always to control and kill momentum which allows defenders to close him down and force him to kill the attack and if not lose the ball close any attacking opportunity of by going backwards/ sideways.

He's just nowhere near ready and the managerial duo have got this badly wrong.
Let's just say I respectfully disagree with all of your assessment but particularly the comment below.

"When he had the ball his thought process was too slow which meant runners off the ball were out of sync and play became even slower (the Guedes offside for Collins howler)."

This is just ridiculous and completely unjustified. He received the ball (watch the Amazon extended highlights), controlled it well and made a lovely pass to Guedes. A ball that Guedes could hit first time. The fact that he was marginally offside was almost impossible for Hodge to tell from his position. If he's going to get criticised for that then God help any young player trying to establish himself in the team.

He made a lovely little back heel at 22.30 on the extended highlights. A sign of his potential and growing confidence I hope. I also hope he's not tempted to look on here.

Let's just say I respectfully disagree with all of your assessment but particularly the comment below.

"When he had the ball his thought process was too slow which meant runners off the ball were out of sync and play became even slower (the Guedes offside for Collins howler)."

This is just ridiculous and completely unjustified. He received the ball (watch the Amazon extended highlights), controlled it well and made a lovely pass to Guedes. A ball that Guedes could hit first time. The fact that he was marginally offside was almost impossible for Hodge to tell from his position. If he's going to get criticised for that then God help any young player trying to establish himself in the team.

He made a lovely little back heel at 22.30 on the extended highlights. A sign of his potential and growing confidence I hope. I also hope he's not tempted to look on here.
You can't respectfully disagree then call something ridiculous and unjustified.

I don't agree with your assessment as I stated and we should agree to disagree.

You can't respectfully disagree then call something ridiculous and unjustified.

I don't agree with your assessment as I stated and we should agree to disagree.
Yes, I did initially 'respectfully disagree'. Or at least I tried to. I had a niggling feeling you'd got it particularly wrong regarding the 'Collins howler' though. Watching the highlights confirmed this and I changed my tune. Sorry for the confusion.

giphy.gif

Can't believe we've replaced arguing about Adama with arguing about Hodge.

• Haha
Reactions: b3h
Yes, I did initially 'respectfully disagree'. Or at least I tried to. I had a niggling feeling you'd got it particularly wrong regarding the 'Collins howler' though. Watching the highlights confirmed this and I changed my tune. Sorry for the confusion.
You can agree to disagree or be a dick about it. Up to you really.

Don't forget he had big reservations in coming in the first place. That was a concern at the time with the hope he'd put in a couple of great years to earn the move to the type of club he felt he should be at.
Shades of cutrone there.

While were scapegoating, I'm going all in on Costa. He's turned out to be as useless as we'd probably all guessed he would be.
Now I wasn't expecting him to charge around pressing for 90 minutes, but he's done very little, doesn't really hold the ball up, doesn't lay the ball off very often. One thing I was expecting was him to be reasonably efficient in front of goal, he's been completely toothless. Last night's failure to pull the trigger in time highlighted it but hes also missed a few good headed opportunities.
There are loads of posts on here saying ‘if we had Haaland upfront we’d struggle to score’- it’s really not Costa’s fault- it’s Lage that turned us into this cowering wreck

He is the Wolves Forum punch bag. We al watched him here and consensus he did well , some good touches and passes.

Could have scored ball just did notbdrop for him.

No matter how well he plays, he will never be anything but a object of derision on here

Back