• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Podence undoubtedly can create openings occasionally but that cannot be taken in isolation as he frequently loses possession. Time and again we would benefit from keeping possession and he loses it cheaply. I’d have more patience if the little wimp didn’t lie on the ground like a four year old at least once a game at a time when he could influence play.

While were scapegoating, I'm going all in on Costa. He's turned out to be as useless as we'd probably all guessed he would be.
Now I wasn't expecting him to charge around pressing for 90 minutes, but he's done very little, doesn't really hold the ball up, doesn't lay the ball off very often. One thing I was expecting was him to be reasonably efficient in front of goal, he's been completely toothless. Last night's failure to pull the trigger in time highlighted it but hes also missed a few good headed opportunities.

While were scapegoating, I'm going all in on Costa. He's turned out to be as useless as we'd probably all guessed he would be.
Now I wasn't expecting him to charge around pressing for 90 minutes, but he's done very little, doesn't really hold the ball up, doesn't lay the ball off very often. One thing I was expecting was him to be reasonably efficient in front of goal, he's been completely toothless. Last night's failure to pull the trigger in time highlighted it but hes also missed a few good headed opportunities.
Scapegoating is unfair criticism, I think most of what I’ve read on here is justified.

We seemed to look a bit more threatening when Hwang came on for Costa.

Last night's failure to pull the trigger in time highlighted it
This is the one for me. Only but the most deluded knew his legs had gone and the chances he'd have would be few and far between because of that lack of movement and the fact we don't create anyway. What he absolutely has to do is score the ones he does have, especially when for the former him they are bread and butter.

To his credit his attitude seems spot on and is probably the most vocal out there

For a non-Wolves supporter you do have that very Wolves-supporter characteristic of picking your favourites and scapegoats then sticking with it.
Don't think there's anything Wolves specific about finding things you like and don't like about individuals.

Only 3 stats that matter in football GS GA and the league table.
Passing stats, possession stats, shots on goal are all open to wild interpretation.

Only 3 stats that matter in football GS GA and the league table.
Passing stats, possession stats, shots on goal are all open to wild interpretation.
I'm not sure that's true.

All the underlying stats (and indeed the eye test, if you bothered paying attention) said that Lage's "success" (such as it was) was completely built on sand and totally unsustainable.

Loads of our fans parroted "we're 8th" for months and we are where we are.

I’m not going all in on a guy who was a desperation signing and hasn’t played in 9 months and over a year at any decent level.

Him also standing still is better than the false 9 experiment.

He should have scored last night. He should have scored at West Ham. But this team is not a good team and it doesn’t create chances. So I’m not sure what more he could do anyway

All the underlying stats (and indeed the eye test, if you bothered paying attention) said that Lage's "success" (such as it was) was completely built on sand and totally unsustainable.

Paraphrasing what Johnny and YW say, they can be largely irrelevant over one game, over a number they build up a picture.

As you say it was clear last year we were scoring the few chances we created and not conceding in positions which couldn't be maintained and would level out. The league table doesn't tell you that, but regressing to my old luddite self I didn't need the stats to either.

I understand this, but at what cost?

Podence will always do one decent thing per game, a few bad things and go missing for, quite literally, two thirds of every game.

Quite simply, especially in the forward areas, we’ve got too many players that drift in and out of games - contributing, largely, fuck all.

It’s ok if you’re Man Utd and Ronaldo - not when you can’t score goals and you’re clearly in a relegation battle.
I mean, without a fancy flick from Podence we wouldn't have scored last night...

He's getting some flack as his touches don't always come off - that's always the issue with a flair player but without him we have no one who will change the tempo or create anything.

He also should have had an assist, but Costa fluffed a golden opportunity, and he's our joint top scorer.

So, in essence, not sure how removing our joint top scorer helps us score more?

Interpretation is the key word and watching the game. ie 10 Shots down the keepers throat from 25 yards looks a lot different from 4 times hitting the woodwork on paper.
Passing 5 yards sideways and playing it safe makes you look far better on paper than someone trying to enforce and dictate the game.

Scapegoating is unfair criticism, I think most of what I’ve read on here is justified.
I agree but various posters hilight different players for various levels of shitness.
Both Palaces goals were a combination of all our defensive players.

I didn't think Hodge was too bad, but clearly being thrust into PL football is way above his current level. He tried hard which seemed to be more than Nunes who looked like he is having major regrets over his transfer here. And with us being relegation candidates who can blame him, I bet that wasn't what he was sold.

Also, I know Guedes is universally disliked on here, and he has been a disappointment for sure, but I thought in his time on the pitch yesterday he offered more and contributed more than Podence by a long way. Podence had one brilliant pass for the Costa chance and was then garbage, giving the ball away, pretending to be hurt, trying fancy flicks, looking for free kicks, absolutely useless. I'd be happy to never see him pull on a Wolves shirt again.

The assist and his contribution to the goal by coming short which gave bueno half the field to run into and laying it first time perfectly so that space could be exploited is more than Guedes has done in all his minutes on the pitch for us so far. Absolutely levels between them in ability and effectiveness.

Podence is a luxury player. We need someone who may not be as talented but is more productive and isn't a lightweight, who is easily brushed off the ball or feints injury. Going right off Podence.

Podence is a luxury player. We need someone who may not be as talented but is more productive and isn't a lightweight, who is easily brushed off the ball or feints injury. Going right off Podence.
Agreed, he's not at the club though unless we gamble on Campbell or play RAN in front of Bueno

Agreed, he's not at the club though unless we gamble on Campbell or play RAN in front of Bueno

We don't score that goal yesterday if RAN recieves the ball in the same area as Bueno, his end product is really poor. I actually think he's better defensively than going forward, he's got lovely feet but that's about it, decision making and delivery are both substandard really.

Back