• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 watch

Vardy has to be in ahead of Rooney. Rooney doesn't have the mobility to play in a 3 and he's never been able to play up on his own. He might be alright as a 10. He's in my squad in the absence of anyone else and a decent option off the bench.

I would be very surprised if Wayne Rooney is not the captain when England play their first game in the competition.

Vardy has to be in ahead of Rooney. Rooney doesn't have the mobility to play in a 3 and he's never been able to play up on his own. He might be alright as a 10. He's in my squad in the absence of anyone else and a decent option off the bench.

No chance, and you're doing him a
Disservice.

You could have had a peak Van Basten and he'd struggle to score many in LvG's team. However that doesn't excuse Rooney shambling through games like an amateur for most of the season, his touch and general play have been awful up until about a month ago.

I'd have Rooney in the team. He played well as a right sided forward, I know it was just a friendly but I think it can work. I don't think we should underestimate his role as captain either - he is clearly well liked and respected.

Indeed.

Kane is infinitely superior to Wayne as it stands. I've been a huge Rooney fan during his career but he's definitely on the decline now. He still has a part to play for us though.

It should be Vardy and Kane up top. Possibly with Welbeck too if he gets fit and playing regularly.

But as Hodgson is a conservative type & Rooney will be his captain then he will be played - whether that's right is another issue

I wouldn't pick Rooney but I could live with it if he did play (well I'll have to, because he will). Who knows, he might realise he has at best two major tournaments left in him so it's time to make an impact on one which he hasn't done since Euro 2004.

I'm more bothered about Roy picking Henderson despite him never having a good game for England and leaving out one of Alli or Barkley.

Hart

Walker Smalling Stones Baines

Dier

Drinkwater Barkley

Alli

Vardy Kane​

Don't think any of the wide options have done much this season, Walcott in and out the team, Sterling done nothing after an encouraging start, Ox barely plays. So I'd ditch them and base it around the the in form central/forward players.

When Rooney plays for England he slows the ball down so much. His lack of pace really shows now in a game that is dominated by elite athletes. As long as Rooney is in our side we won't get anywhere near the latter stages of a tournament.

Henderson is the epitome of a nothing player. Just floats through games offering nothing productive.

We'll have to agree to disagree as I think you're wrong on both counts and it's pointless trying to converse when you have your plastic glasses on.

You do let yourself down so much. That's why I struggle to take your opinions on board. Anyone with any kind of nod towards my united days needs treating with utter contempt. So add me to the lengthy list, as it's impossible to hear your from your pedestal.

You could have had a peak Van Basten and he'd struggle to score many in LvG's team. However that doesn't excuse Rooney shambling through games like an amateur for most of the season, his touch and general play have been awful up until about a month ago.

Rooney has been downright awful until January and I genuinely wrote him off.

For whatever reason he's back, and thats only great news.

The reason he isn't an all time great is because of periods like this where he's ineffective. I seriously don't know what impact LVG has had on that either.

What are the reason for him being crap this season? Van Gaal's tactics and set up?

No idea. I don't watch them.
From what I read LVG has effectively made them too cautious.

As said previously Rooney has had a terrible year, but I feel as a nation we've always been too quick to write off our best players.

I wouldn't pick Rooney but I could live with it if he did play (well I'll have to, because he will). Who knows, he might realise he has at best two major tournaments left in him so it's time to make an impact on one which he hasn't done since Euro 2004.

I'm more bothered about Roy picking Henderson despite him never having a good game for England and leaving out one of Alli or Barkley.

Indeed but you could argue Messi has only had one decent tournament too so I always feel that's a slightly harsh view

I completely agree with your second paragraph.

Interesting points. Certainly not as mobile as Kane Vardy and Sterling but then he can do things in abundance that they can't.

Back