• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2020

They were great in 90 although we were the better team that night. They were average in 96 and we should have beaten them but it was a very even game. Beat them comfortably in 2000 and obviously got shafted in 2010. Although even that could have gone differently if Lampard made it 2-2

Welshman Steve Cooper? It's hardly awe inspiring, imagine the average England fans' reaction to that appointment.

The thing is the England job is that much of a big draw, prior to Southgate coming in we had god awful tournaments where we finished bottom of the group and lost to Iceland, now Southgate may well have finished his "cycle" by the end of this tournament, but the clamour to get rid with no decent idea of who replaces him is frustrating.
Don’t give a shit where he’s from. He meets the brief of - knows English players, speaks English. When I said “interest” I meant someone who is actually going to watch them play and not be a Capello and do neither and pick up the cash.

As TT says, if he lets us play then we will be fine. Will he though?

I’ve given a Replacement. Chuck Potter in the mix. I’d rather have Mark Warburton manage Wolves than Southgate so Chuck him in too.

Plus saying he’s been a better manager than most. Bit of a stretch. Factually true as he’s got to a SF. But we literally got to it with a good draw, set pieces and penalties. Other managers had rotten luck on penalty shoot outs, injuries etc.

England definitely suffer an inferiority complex when it comes to Germany at football.
Even if you played the German side of the early 00’s people would still worry.

England definitely suffer an inferiority complex when it comes to Germany at football.
Even if you played the German side of the early 00’s people would still worry.
True. They were shit in 2001 but the tension in the build up to that qualifier was horrendous. The 5-1 was celebrated like a Scotland nil nil.

Don’t give a shit where he’s from. He meets the brief of - knows English players, speaks English. When I said “interest” I meant someone who is actually going to watch them play and not be a Capello and do neither and pick up the cash.

As TT says, if he lets us play then we will be fine. Will he though?

I’ve given a Replacement. Chuck Potter in the mix. I’d rather have Mark Warburton manage Wolves than Southgate so Chuck him in too.
Plus saying he’s been a better manager than most. Bit of a stretch. Factually true as he’s got to a SF. But we literally got to it with a good draw, set pieces and penalties. Other managers had rotten luck on penalty shoot outs, injuries etc.
I don't give a shit where he is from either, but the press and the majority of fans in this country are a disgrace, Cooper would be up against it immediately, nowhere near high profile enough, Southgate had at least worked his way up to U21 manager and had 50+ caps and a strong career.

Potter isn't a bad shout at all though.

A stretch? It's not a stretch at all. Hodgson, Allardyce, Capello, Hoddle, Eriksson, Keegan, McClaren, Taylor he's been better than all of those, that takes us back to when? 1990? I'd go as far to say we haven't had a better manager since Robson, and him and Venables are probably the only 2 managers since Robson that have managed to galvanise the squad rather than let club rivalries influence it to such a negative extent.

It wasn't so long ago we were bottom of the group in Brazil, and losing pathetically to Iceland, yet a semi final appearance is written off, it amazes me how quickly people forget just how shit we were.

He's pragmatic now because he believes that is the way to go to progress at International tournaments, but he's also been attacking too, the calendar year of 2019 England scored more goals than in any other year in their history.

I don't give a shit where he is from either, but the press and the majority of fans in this country are a disgrace, Cooper would be up against it immediately, nowhere near high profile enough, Southgate had at least worked his way up to U21 manager and had 50+ caps and a strong career.

A stretch? It's not a stretch at all. Hodgson, Allardyce, Capello, Hoddle, Eriksson, Keegan, McClaren, Taylor he's been better than all of those, that takes us back to when? 1996? In fact, i'd go as far to say we haven't had a better manager since Robson, and him and Venables are probably the only 2 managers since Robson that have managed to galvanise the squad rather than let club rivalries influence it to such a negative extent.

He's pragmatic now because he believes that is the way to go to progress at International tournaments, but he's also been attacking too, the calendar year of 2019 England scored more goals than in any other year in their history.
You’ve used the fact he got to a SF as proof that he’s better. As I said, factually he’s done “better” but I don’t agree. I think he just had luck other managers didn’t have. But yes some were shit, but I think he’s just done the same as every other manager really. Not had maradonna punch the ball in. Not lost a penalty shootout to Germany. Not had Beckham get himself sent off, Campbell have a goal disallowed vs Argentina. Ronaldinho fluke a FK. Rooney get injured and then lose a shootout. Rooney get sent off and lose another shootout. Rob Green throw the ball in his own goal and a Lampards disallowed goal. Losing a shootout to Italy.

Basically he had and easy group, still didnt win it. Won a penalty shootout against an average team. He didn’t do any better. Just had luck his predecessors haven’t had.

Last edited:
You’ve used the fact he got to a SF as proof that he’s better. As I said, factually he’s done “better” but I don’t agree. I think he just had luck other managers didn’t have. But yes some were shit
Rarely have we qualified for tournaments as comfortably as we have under Southgate, we scored more goals in 2019 than ever before, we did well in the Nations league, we have qualified top of the group in this tournament AND we got to a Semi final in 18.

Which manager was better since Robson then? I'm all ears. (or eyes...)

I do think that objectively Sven and Capello are/were better managers than Southgate is (look at the CVs). Not really in an England blazer though.

A stretch? It's not a stretch at all. Hodgson, Allardyce, Capello, Hoddle, Eriksson, Keegan, McClaren, Taylor he's been better than all of those, that takes us back to when? 1990? I'd go as far to say we haven't had a better manager since Robson, and him and Venables are probably the only 2 managers since Robson that have managed to galvanise the squad rather than let club rivalries influence it to such a negative extent.

It wasn't so long ago we were bottom of the group in Brazil, and losing pathetically to Iceland, yet a semi final appearance is written off, it amazes me how quickly people forget just how shit we were.

I think you are wrong, he's got an array of attacking talent that he doesn't know what to do with and a defence which although not being great he over compensates for.
Throw in a naturally negative mindset and you have a manager who holds his team back.

Lets reconvene in a couple of weeks,

I do think that objectively Sven and Capello are/were better managers than Southgate is (look at the CVs). Not really in an England blazer though.
They weren't better England managers, neither man managed the players well at all, as we've since learned from what Rio, Scholes, Lampard have said, and that was clear on the pitch too. Lets not talk about their inability to find a way for Gerrard and Lampard to work together either.

I think you are wrong, he's got an array of attacking talent that he doesn't know what to do with and a defence which although not being great he over compensates for.
Throw in a naturally negative mindset and you have a manager who holds his team back.

Lets reconvene in a couple of weeks,
Which part is "wrong"? You don't think he's been a better England manager than everyone since Robson? (an argument could be made for Venables, but that was just one tournament.)

They weren't better England managers, neither man managed the players well at all, as we've since learned from what Rio, Scholes, Lampard have said, and that was clear on the pitch too. Lets not talk about their inability to find a way for Gerrard and Lampard to work together either.
No, I agree with you mate.

He's done a very good job overall, I don't quite get why he inspires such rage.

Which part is "wrong"? You don't think he's been a better England manager than everyone since Robson? (an argument could be made for Venables, but that was just one tournament.)
This bit, should have said he's wrong rather than you

He's pragmatic now because he believes that is the way to go to progress at International tournaments.

He ruined Gazza, never looked after the lad at all. I wish Gazza had gone to Man Utd he would have been known in messianic terms for club and country.
Gazza ruined himself. His choices, his decisions. I agree re Utd though

Just to clarify, i'm no massive Southgate fanboy, but i do get tired of how critical everyone* seems to be, as i said, it wasn't so long ago we were finishing bottom of groups and getting soundly beaten by Jon Daddi Bodvarsson and his mates.

We are about the 5th or 6th best side in world, the occasional semi final appearance and regular quarter final appearance is about par for us. What we experienced under Hodgson and Capello was dismal.

Back