• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd] Liverpool 2-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I'm over it.

We've proved we can go toe-to-toe with Liverpool even without our strongest XI. And we can prove it again in a week or so.

On to Forest.
Just been driving and was actually thinking things are a lot more positive. Keep the faith

3 years with VAR, over 100 games at the ground plus the millions spent on the system and now all of a sudden they find a blind spot!
Always felt when I heard people say big 6 get all the decisions was tin foil stuff but this sounds dodgy as fuck.

On that note when was the last time one of the big 6 got screwed over by a decision going against them versus a team outside the big 6

Which makes Anfield not fit to host PL games or have VAR in the cup unless they change the angle the camera is at.
They will try and make a lamé statement saying it was a very rare offside situation etc
Don’t think we have been given an apology for VAR not working nor will we

You think he didn't know Salah was behind him?
Not with any certainty, no.

Jonny was marking Salah and Gomes was watching the ball, he doesn't appear to look over his left shoulder at any point in the highlights to know there's definitely a runner in behind him. As if expect any centre half in that situation to do though, he tries to cut it out and prevent the ball getting into a dangerous area. Unless a team mate was explicitly telling you to let it run through that's what I'd always expect of a defender, in this case I'd guess any shouts to him would be very much to engage as no-one would've known whether Salah was off or on.

Jonny was marking Salah and Gomes was watching the ball, he doesn't appear to look over his left shoulder at any point in the highlights to know there's definitely a runner in behind him. As if expect any centre half in that situation to do though, he tries to cut it out and prevent the ball getting into a dangerous area. Unless a team mate was explicitly telling you to let it run through that's what I'd always expect of a defender, in this case I'd guess any shouts to him would be very much to engage as no-one would've known whether Salah was off or on.
Players don't need to look behind, when you are on the pitch you know exactly what is around you

Feel like I should comment on some of the performances, as (understandably) the majority of the comments on this thread are about the decisions/ref/VAR.

A few people are going to find it difficult to back down on their opinion of Joe Hodge, and I know it’s only one game, but his pressing was absolutely superb last night. For a small lad he’s so tenacious and never gives a player a second. I haven’t been overly complimentary about him either because he’s been very beige up to now, but that was his best performance in the first team by a mile. Even more impressive as him and Neves were up against three Liverpool midfielders for most of the match and I felt they came out on top.

Neves was absolutely fantastic.

Dexter was good. He’s got a bright future. Julen switched him at the right time because he looked absolutely exhausted.

I was concerned about Jonny in the opening 5 mins and thought we’d get more of the same. There was one instance early on where Salah easily outmuscled him, but he came back strong and really played well both in and out of possession. Could he be one that gets a new lease of life under Lopetegui? And on that subject, that was Adama’s best performance in months & months. He was tracking back, running off the ball, winning headers, decent in possession. Even Guedes looked alright last night!

Raul was ok, but still seems way off the pace compared to pre-injury. Nice that he got a decent run out. Maybe a goal or two will do him the world of good?

Nunes is starting to demonstrate his talent now that we have a manager who’s actually playing to his strengths. I hope we hold on to him if Neves goes in the summer because to lose them both at the same time would be a blow.

Mentioned it last night, and I don’t want to be too harsh because he hasn’t started a game for us yet, but I’d like to see a little more from Cunha as/when he starts. I can remember three occasions now, from his opening couple of appearances, where we as a team were looking to break, and instead of giving the man in possession an option, he’s jogged behind a defender. He’s clearly talented and I have no worries about him, but I also felt like he looked surprised at the physicality of the Liverpool defenders. He should have had a pen, though. Ref didn’t even look twice at it and ITV didn’t show us a replay… obviously!

RAN was my MOTM. He was buzzing around everywhere. Hope his injury isn’t serious. I’d like to see him starting in the advanced role, with Bueno behind him, moving forward.

Loads and loads of positives to take from last night. I’m amazed at how quickly Julen has turned us from unorganised relegation favourites to a much changed side that can take on Liverpool’s first team and genuinely feel gutted to have not won. Keep it up!

Players don't need to look behind, when you are on the pitch you know exactly what is around you
Sweet Jesus. Players don't become super human when they cross the white line, they build awareness of situations through observation, believe the modern buzzword for it is 'scanning'.

a
So because he didn't get a call to let the ball run through he could assume there was a player in behind him. If there wasn't a player in behind him he would have got a shout to leeeeeave it or keeeeepers.

Your bottom sentence says it all, he had to engage due to Salahs presence, and Salah was offside.

Sweet Jesus. Players don't become super human when they cross the white line, they build awareness of situations through observation, believe the modern buzzword for it is 'scanning'.
It's called awareness, it's been scientifically proven that players will see a splash of Colour in their peripheral vision and know exactly who / What it is.

Also been proven most footballers have a higher than average range of Peripheral Vision.

I think it was the BBC that did a Live on this looking at a few goals including one where Rooney, never even looked, and put a pinpoint pass, it was then shown the arm containing the shirt (colour), was in his peripheral vision.

So because he didn't get a call to let the ball run through he could assume there was a player in behind him. If there wasn't a player in behind him he would have got a shout to leeeeeave it or keeeeepers.

Your bottom sentence says it all, he had to engage due to Salahs presence, and Salah was offside.
Danny Murphy summed it up perfectly on MOTD. There’s no professional footballer in the world that just leaves the ball to go over his head in Toti’s position last night. Instinct kicks in and you attempt to clear it 10 times out of 10.

As a professional footballer, you’re relying on the officials and the laws of the game to arrive at the correct decision. Unfortunately, where the ‘rule’ is so open to interpretation, we’ve been fucked over.

But no footballer in the world is going to just leave that ball over the top when they know Mo Salah is behind you. The rule is a joke & I firmly believe that even the people who write them don’t understand them.

Loads and loads of positives to take from last night. I’m amazed at how quickly Julen has turned us from unorganised relegation favourites to a much changed side that can take on Liverpool’s first team and genuinely feel gutted to have not won. Keep it up!
Absolutely.

I loathed watching us play three months ago, there was nothing enjoyable about it at all. Other than the Gillingham game (which was always going to go that way if we didn't score early, and ultimately we got the job done without much fuss) I have enjoyed every game under Lopetegui.

I'm trying my best to be pleased about that more than being livid at the damage that geek did, in fact anyone thinking of appointing him should watch our game at West Ham and then our game at home to Man Utd. Both losses to nil but absolutely night and day. Then of course speak to him and realise he's a gibbering fool.

Feel like I should comment on some of the performances, as (understandably) the majority of the comments on this thread are about the decisions/ref/VAR.

A few people are going to find it difficult to back down on their opinion of Joe Hodge, and I know it’s only one game, but his pressing was absolutely superb last night. For a small lad he’s so tenacious and never gives a player a second. I haven’t been overly complimentary about him either because he’s been very beige up to now, but that was his best performance in the first team by a mile. Even more impressive as him and Neves were up against three Liverpool midfielders for most of the match and I felt they came out on top.

Neves was absolutely fantastic.

Dexter was good. He’s got a bright future. Julen switched him at the right time because he looked absolutely exhausted.

I was concerned about Jonny in the opening 5 mins and thought we’d get more of the same. There was one instance early on where Salah easily outmuscled him, but he came back strong and really played well both in and out of possession. Could he be one that gets a new lease of life under Lopetegui? And on that subject, that was Adama’s best performance in months & months. He was tracking back, running off the ball, winning headers, decent in possession. Even Guedes looked alright last night!

Raul was ok, but still seems way off the pace compared to pre-injury. Nice that he got a decent run out. Maybe a goal or two will do him the world of good?

Nunes is starting to demonstrate his talent now that we have a manager who’s actually playing to his strengths. I hope we hold on to him if Neves goes in the summer because to lose them both at the same time would be a blow.

Mentioned it last night, and I don’t want to be too harsh because he hasn’t started a game for us yet, but I’d like to see a little more from Cunha as/when he starts. I can remember three occasions now, from his opening couple of appearances, where we as a team were looking to break, and instead of giving the man in possession an option, he’s jogged behind a defender. He’s clearly talented and I have no worries about him, but I also felt like he looked surprised at the physicality of the Liverpool defenders. He should have had a pen, though. Ref didn’t even look twice at it and ITV didn’t show us a replay… obviously!

RAN was my MOTM. He was buzzing around everywhere. Hope his injury isn’t serious. I’d like to see him starting in the advanced role, with Bueno behind him, moving forward.

Jonny is an odd one. Thought he played pretty well last night actually after the initial 5 or 10.

Can anyone recall him having a decent game on the right? Under nuno he was always on the left. Quite rare for a fullback to be weaker on the side to which they are footed…

Raul's lack of awareness or selfishness for some is a concern. A few times yesterday especially in the 2nd half with Dexter bombing down the right he just seems to want to take on the world, a simple lay off and Dexter rolls it in Adama (I think). He just walks into traffic and its a major concern for me.

Jonny is an odd one. Thought he played pretty well last night actually after the initial 5 or 10.

Can anyone recall him having a decent game on the right? Under nuno he was always on the left. Quite rare for a fullback to be weaker on the side to which they are footed…
Was great at home to Southampton this season. Villa at home last season too when he scored.

Ultimately he lost interest under the previous manager as unsurprisingly, he had zero respect for him. Which you can say isn't a great attitude but I do understand why it happened.

Wonder if there’s any value in Cundle coming back and training with Lopetegui? He clearly thinks he’s seen enough in Hodge to start him. Might be the making of him?

Wonder if there’s any value in Cundle coming back and training with Lopetegui? He clearly thinks he’s seen enough in Hodge to start him. Might be the making of him?
Absolutely none this season. Three doesn't fit into one what with the pecking order for that position already being Moutinho then Hodge.

And when one of them is injured, which feels inevitable knowing our luck this season?

He's better than Hodge.
I haven’t seen anything to suggest cundle is anymore ready than hodge tbh.

Given we haven’t seen cundle under Lop, but hodge was ok last night I felt, and is effectively 5th choice CM

I personally thing Joseph Hodge is getting better game by game, minute by minute. The kid for me will be a talent for us and the inevitable successor to Joao.

Back