• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd Replay] Wolves 0-1 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

I thought that was rather encouraging once we switched to 4-4-2.

The less said about the switch to 5-3-2, the better. Bury that, move on.

Special shout outs to Podence for fucking up FOUR opportunities that would have had us in on goal or outnumbering them on the break.

A real wake up call that we have a long way to go yet .
Started with the wrong 11 , but those on the pitch didn't have the fight for the battle in that first 45 . A real concern if we can't climb out of the lower end of the table soon .

Thought they would have been fired up for this match. I was wrong... Without Podence on we are toothless. Though Costa played some nice touches when he came on, but we are so ineffective up front i don't think Salah would score double figures. Traore did his usual Forrest Gump impression. Apart from the goal i thought the defence was solid. Midfield just kept winning the ball back and then giving it away.
Hopefully we can now concentrate on getting ourselves out of the mire now.
A note on the ref. He was shit as always...

Whilst I agree with the desire to add a new CH, that makes hyperbole look understated.
Collins, Toti and Kilman (who obviously wasn’t involved tonight) all have 2-3 mistakes in them a game. Sa goes from world class to Sunday league in the blink of an eye.

We need an experienced head in there ASAP.

What did for Sa was that as Liverpool attacked he was on the edge of his box and was enthusiastically pedalling backwards, then when Elliot let loose, he was still reversing and it was his next backwards step that prevented him from making a better jump. Not brilliant, but not a howler.
I'll maintain my position (Pre Lage) that Adama should be let go. Full of promise, all that shit with baby oil on his arm, for what he gets paid and the number of games he's played in the last 3 or 4 or maybe 5 seasons, can anyone come up with how many goals and assists?
It would be interesting to see how much they each cost.
Poor game really, especially in the first half. (Lots of) work in progress.

we still need CH / CF. Now it’s clear we also need
a GK. Sa is a car crash this season, engendering panic in our defence just by his presence on the
team sheet.

Special shout outs to Podence for fucking up FOUR opportunities that would have had us in on goal or outnumbering them on the break

Special shout outs to Podence for fucking up FOUR opportunities that would have had us in on goal or outnumbering them on the break.
Absolutely. I was fuming when we broke away and he and he gave the ball away. That's why I commented on our shite passing, and it's not just tonight.

Positives tonight
The improvement with a 4
Collins - solid throughout

Negatives
The 5
Sa - poor on goal, and flappy
Nunes - all he touched turned brown
Podence - on a different wavelength
Adama - why we pass to him, I’ll never know

Glad we chose a cup game to establish once and for all that 5 at the back is never going to work.

Once we got Hodge and (sadly) Moutinho off we looked the better - if impotent - side, the formation coupled with midfielders unable to do what was being asked of them killed us in that first half.

Can't mitigate for Sa. He'll do that every so often. He was appalling for the goal. That pundits are gushing over Elliott and not scrutinising Sa nearly enough is plain stupid.

Really not fucked about going out, we'd never beat Brighton and we've got much bigger priorities.

If after tonight we can fire 5ATB and Traore into the sun and Hodge never start a game again this season I'll take the loss quite happily.

i thought Toti looked alright second half, no idea what he was like first half though

For me that’s got to be the end for adama and (sadly) jonny. very serious questions about Sa.

Julen messed up that starting XI. Feel sorry for Raul because he really had no support at all for most of that game. Got to see their goal again but I thought Sa was way too far off his line. Not sure why he was where he was. A few nearly moments at the end, a couple of half chances falling to Cunha. Adama got into good crossing positions, only to do what only he can do...Bit of a damp squib. After what happened at Anfield, expected more fire in the bellies of the players. Oh well. Another season passes with no cup glory. We better stay up!

The most disappointing thing for me was although we had loads of the ball I never felt like we'd score. Cunha and Nunes made a difference but it felt like Liverpool were happy for us to have the ball cos they knew we wouldn't score.
Adama was our most used attacking outlet but probably his worst game for quality, you'd have thought with the number of balls he put across, law of averages would mean at least 1 or 2 would be near one of our players.
Thought it was RANs worst game for a while, back to his stumbling and mis controlling the ball.
Apart from the backing off for the goal, thought Collins and Toti were good, tbf Liverpool hardly put them under pressure second half. Toti played some excellent passes into midfield.

In reality I think we’d have gone out to BHA anyway. Impotent performance even when we applied pressure we barely created anything clear cut.
Simply we don’t get enough bodies into the box.
Classic case being in the first half was Raul pulling the ball back across the 6 yard box asking for someone to attack it.
A really poor game of football, we were better once all the subs were on.
The goal is the sort of stuff you see when kids play rush keeper. Defenders backing off and Sa stood on the penalty spot just telling Elliott to have a free shot at goal. It’s a nothing shot if he’s on his line he probably catches it.
Why play 3-4 passes at the back then launch it?
Side like ours you can’t just turn the form tap on and off though.
Bright points Raul worked hard and tried to make use of the scraps on offer. Neves is just Neves, Nunes is a fighter and help control things once on the field. RAN did alright but he’s not an attacking forward.
Traore really poor decisions just about every time. The best was when he had the ball on the bar and smashed it so hard it became a clearance.
Hodge technically I think he’s ok but as a game reader goes not up to it from what I’ve seen. He will be a very capable League 1 bottom half Championship player but the PL is a step too far.
Johnny it’s heartbreaking to see what was once the most reliable player at the club become so poor.
I really hope he can resurrect his career in la liga maybe.

On the manager for me, sorry to say.

Team weren't fired up in the slightest, we obviously used up all our anger and passion in ref's meetings. Same old one paced conservative rubbish for most of the game. No plan, no belief. Waste of everyone's time.

Adama was shit, but he obviously isn't on the same wavelength as any other player in the team and hasn't been for nearly four years so why bother? He doesn't pick himself.

Can't wait to get the likes of Sarabia, Lemina and hopefully others in to freshen up this stale, safe squad

I guess everyone, bar Wolves, got what they wanted in the end. Should never have been playing tonight after we won the first fixture, but there we are. Referee absolutely appalling again, but honestly getting tired of saying it.

Ultimately, can’t complain on this evening in isolation. Shape and formation was wank from the start. We don’t have the players to do what Lop wants us to do in that formation.

No surprise that when we got more attacking players on and actual bodies in the box in the last 10 minutes we started to cause them some problems, without creating anything clear cut. I’m all on the Raul/Cunha train now. He’s got to start them both together. Podence & Sarabia either side of them. We have to score more goals.

Defensively, we’ve got to get a new CB in this week. We’re a bomb scare at the back.

All in all, a pretty horrific game of football.
Defensively we had little to do tonight. I thought we looked solid at 4-4-2 and Toti looked decent.

We clearly need another CB but we were only a bombscare when we were 3 at the back.

A ridiculous formation for the players we have.

Agree with your attacking sentiments, I can't think of a situation where we play that waste of a shirt at RW again. I genuinely hate watching him play.

Positives tonight
The improvement with a 4
Collins - solid throughout

Negatives
The 5
Sa - poor on goal, and flappy
Nunes - all he touched turned brown
Podence - on a different wavelength
Adama - why we pass to him, I’ll never know
Agree with this apart from Nunes, about 50/50 good and bad, I do expect more from him though,think he plays better when he starts.

Sa was atrocious on the goal, wandering around like a town centre drunk. We know what he's like by now, you will get some laughable goals fly in.

Not too bad once we'd made all the subs, Hodge won't start another game all season, Sarabia in for the pointless Adama, I'm not too concerned. A shame but give me three points against these in a couple of weeks please.

Back