• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup Quarter-Final] Wolves 2-3 Coventry: Verdict Thread

I guess I'm in the minority, we had a great day at the last semi, obviously not the result and ride home, but the actual Wembley experience we enjoyed.

The ground is fine although nothing to look at from the outside and it's hard to see how it went so wildly over budget.

The surrounding area is the absolute pits, pick any generic shit town and they're still way better than Wembley.

The ground is fine although nothing to look at from the outside and it's hard to see how it went so wildly over budget.

The surrounding area is the absolute pits, pick any generic shit town and they're still way better than Wembley.
Must admit I didn't notice the surrounding area much, I'm not really a pre game drinker so not that interested but I can see for those that do enjoy that part of it, it's a bit shit.

The concourses inside and outside are fine but the local pubs restaurants are really not great. The lower tier is way too shallow meaning that by the time you get any height above pitch level you are way back from the action. In a ground like the Bernabeu you can be in the fourth or fifth tier and still feel on top of the action. The Millennium is 'nearly' as big capacity wise but is way more atmospheric and at Wembley the non attendance of many corporate or debenture Club Wembley ticket holders always reduces the experience.

Must admit I didn't notice the surrounding area much, I'm not really a pre game drinker so not that interested but I can see for those that do enjoy that part of it, it's a bit shit.

Pre match was OK. We were staying in Harrow which is fine without being spectacular so had a few drinks there and a train over in plenty of time for KO.

Post match is your issue. A choice between waiting an age at a packed station to get on a rammed train if you want to get away (even just to a better part of London), or hang back to miss the crowds but experience some genuine 0/10 pubs, they are without exception a disgrace.

I guess I'm in the minority, we had a great day at the last semi, obviously not the result and ride home, but the actual Wembley experience we enjoyed.
I think I am probably in the minority in that there was very little I enjoyed about the whole day. I travelled there and back on a coach on my own (god, that journey back was depressing), the area around the ground was so much of a shithole that had a drink inside the ground instead and I ended up in seats where there was a row of about 9 or 10 empty seats next to me. It was a weird non-atmosphere where I was even when we scored.

I am still gutted about Saturday's match. The slim silver lining I can take is that I was planning to take my son for his first Wolves match but we couldnt get tickets. He was pretty crestfallen watching it on TV so it would have been worse for him if he'd been there. Welcome to supporting Wolves, son!

Pre match was OK. We were staying in Harrow which is fine without being spectacular so had a few drinks there and a train over in plenty of time for KO.

Post match is your issue. A choice between waiting an age at a packed station to get on a rammed train if you want to get away (even just to a better part of London), or hang back to miss the crowds but experience some genuine 0/10 pubs, they are without exception a disgrace.
Not a big fan of train travel, we used a coach company, it worked well, not much hanging around, didn't have any arseholes on ours.

Stayed in Wembley overnight, found a great curry house…got pissed and ate food. Result aside, it was a great day. New Wembley is not a patch on old Wembley from an emotional point of view and the Millenium Stadium is far superior to watch football in…but it was a competitive Wolves match at Wembley , not quite a final but I don’t make the rules. I had a great day/night and had tentative plans to do the same again. That’s gone to feck now…

Screenshot_20240318-120932_BBC Sport.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the stupidest opinion in the world.

Yeah, just break rules and lose points, who cares.

The concourses inside and outside are fine but the local pubs restaurants are really not great. The lower tier is way too shallow meaning that by the time you get any height above pitch level you are way back from the action. In a ground like the Bernabeu you can be in the fourth or fifth tier and still feel on top of the action. The Millennium is 'nearly' as big capacity wise but is way more atmospheric and at Wembley the non attendance of many corporate or debenture Club Wembley ticket holders always reduces the experience.
Obviously I hate the Real Madrid machine, but there's no denying that the Bernabeu is a simply sensational place to watch football. You are right on it, and the atmosphere is usually really good. I'll be visiting in late May, though got to confess that's to see Taylor Swift (purely as I'm obliged to take my daughter of course!). Be interesting to see the rebuild finished anyway - at least I assume it is / will be finished by then. You're right that the view from the equivalent seats in Wembley is much inferior.

Coventry doesn't even make my top 7 when I start to think about it, but it's an interesting question:

I'd go, in order:

Bolton play offs (2nd leg)
Palace play offs (1st leg in particular)
Watford Wembley
Norwich play offs
Sevilla QF (the weird manner of it was painful)
Albion 3-2 at the Hawthorns
Albion 5-1 at Molineux

Watford 3-2 Wolves
Wolves 1-5 West Brom
Bolton 2-0 Wolves (May 1995)
Millwall 1-0 Wolves (April 2002 and I knew we'd blown it)
Sevilla 1-0 Wolves
Bolton 2-1 Wolves (May 1999, bent Kevin Lynch)
Crystal Palace 3-1 Wolves (May 1997)
Wolves 2-3 Birmingham (April 2007)

Man City in the season not to be mentioned would be up there, the day I knew the choke would happen with Albion winning later that afternoon. Chorley for obvious reasons.

Yeah the blow up season in 2002 was worse than the lot in many ways as it was death by a thousand cuts over a matter of weeks, rather than one short sharp match of pain like the others!
The entire Saunders era for the same reason but with even more severe consequences. Just watching us sleepwalk to disaster under the worst manager in British football and being powerless to do anything about it.

1998 Arsenal FA Cup is etched in my memory.

Was it the Monday of the Easter weekend in 2002, can't event remember who we played (perhaps it was Man City?) but that was when I think we all knew we'd blown the season.

Watford. Coventry weirdly doesn't feel the same but if it had been a semi final then it'd be there I'm sure.

Saturday doesn't hurt as much as some of them as we were objectively rubbish and deserved nowt. If we'd lost 3-2 with a couple of sucker punches after battering them it'd be different.

Reactions: jlo
I thought Sa went down to enable a "team talk" as he's a player that wouldn't have to take a 30 second break for receiving treatment.
Cov Chairman was on the radio a few minutes ago and brought this up when asked about Robins goal celebrations.

Also this morning it was mentioned that Simms has admitted he handballed on the opening goal

Saturday doesn't hurt as much as some of them as we were objectively rubbish and deserved nowt. If we'd lost 3-2 with a couple of sucker punches after battering them it'd be different.

I don't know, I think the fact that it was all just so preventable makes it tough for me. We've had some poor showings under O'Neil as well but that was the first time I felt properly let down.

I don't know, I think the fact that it was all just so preventable makes it tough for me. We've had some poor showings under O'Neil as well but that was the first time I felt properly let down.
It's definitely the biggest since Watford for me. Covid games against Sevilla or Albion didn't seem real then and that's only matured over time.

Factoring circumstances into account probably our worst loss in my time supporting the club upset wise, only Chorley rivals it. The team were shot when Stale's lot (sort of) lost to Luton. All the other notable play offs, cups etc were games against sides at our level or above, some more gutting but not as big of a loss upset wise.

Back