• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup Third Round Draw

I expect the TV companies to be unimaginative when it comes to selecting the games ie the BBC will choose an all PL clash.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea will probably all be on TV

In fairness the TV companies can never win with that. See all the nonsense about them not showing Chelsea vs Bradford last season - there was a strong possibility that game would have been 2-0 to Chelsea after 15 minutes and a complete non-contest, and had that been the case the BBC would have been slated for picking a game that had very little chance of being a compelling watch. Then you have people pretending they'd rather watch Burnley vs Whitehawk which I don't buy for a second, or misguided nostalgia about TV picks that never happened 30 years ago.

How ever much fans of other clubs may not like it, it's based on viewing numbers and Man U will draw the most.

Plus it actually invariably ticks most of the boxes that fans say they want from a televised game. Play someone like Arsenal or Liverpool? Huge game, and available for free to everyone in the country. Play someone from the Championship or lower - banana skin territory, and if it's a Yeovil/Cambridge then much needed funds to a club struggling for cash.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea will probably all be on TV

This is the problem regardless who these sides draw there's a good chance they'll be on TV due to the large audience pull, if Man Utd draw Swansea at home it'll be shown live which I find very dour.

In fairness the TV companies can never win with that. See all the nonsense about them not showing Chelsea vs Bradford last season - there was a strong possibility that game would have been 2-0 to Chelsea after 15 minutes and a complete non-contest, and had that been the case the BBC would have been slated for picking a game that had very little chance of being a compelling watch. Then you have people pretending they'd rather watch Burnley vs Whitehawk which I don't buy for a second, or misguided nostalgia about TV picks that never happened 30 years ago.

Bradford did have reasons to be annoyed last season though, especially after the Chelsea game.

I generally think in the 3rd or 4th Round that 1 of the 4 or 5 games shown should include the lowest ranked team left. The only time whoever is showing the games annoy is when they ignore something like Shrewsbury v Everton to show something like Stoke v West Ham.

Bradford did have reasons to be annoyed last season though, especially after the Chelsea game.

They played Sunderland the round after I think? Probably should have been shown, then their quarter final vs Reading was on and it was bloody horrendous, as bad as our game vs MK last week.

The Sunderland game should have been live, no doubt about it.

Worst FA Cup on TV in recent memory - Fulham v Sheff Utd replay. Which Sheff Utd won in the 120th minute.

Then of course there are our 2 games v Blues.

The Sunderland game should have been live, no doubt about it.

Worst FA Cup on TV in recent memory - Fulham v Sheff Utd replay. Which Sheff Utd won in the 120th minute.

Then of course there are our 2 games v Blues.

Yep two very chastening displays by ourselves in a ver dark period.

We'll be at home to someone boring from League 1.

I'd obviously like an away tie at a northern team. I'd like to go back to Bramall Lane, Deepdale or The City Ground. A ground I've not been to like Goodison or Valley Parade would be nice as well.

We'll be at home to someone boring from League 1.

I'd obviously like an away tie at a northern team. I'd like to go back to Bramall Lane, Deepdale or The City Ground. A ground I've not been to like Goodison or Valley Parade would be nice as well.

If we are going to get parochial about it then an away match v someone south of Watford would suit me :icon_smile:

Whoever it is unlikely to change the way we have traditionally approached cup competitions!

Goodison sounds great until you remember the view from the away section, which is appalling.

Goodison sounds great until you remember the view from the away section, which is appalling.

That's what I had heard about Elland Road before I went last year and I loved the place, view restricting pillars and all.

We'll get someone from our own league and lose. I'll plump for Brentford

We'll get someone from our own league and lose. I'll plump for Brentford

It'll be someone way more boring than Bretford and we'll draw. Cardiff or Reading I reckon.

That's what I had heard about Elland Road before I went last year and I loved the place, view restricting pillars and all.

Goodison is pretty bad. Before they redeveloped the end and you had the blue wall with fans above (when we played them in the league cup I think when Bully was up front) it was fine. Now it is pretty bad. Not as bad as the back of the lower tier away at Anfield where you might as well view through a letterbox but pretty grim.

Christ, I thought the therapy had worked. I'd forgotten those two games...

We'll get someone from our own league and draw.
I'll listen on the radio then regret the waste of 2 hours.

I'll predict Charlton away. That one seems suitably dreary.

Back