• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Is Bruno Lage A Good Manager Or Should He Go?

Back him or sack him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The “but we’re 8th” gang won’t be able to say that next week.

“The league table never lies” is also a load of bollocks too. Sheff Utd rode their luck and got the fine margins. As soon as that stopped they started losing and got relegated with 23 points.

Even still, our final position is going to be a few points ahead of 14th. It doesn’t really mean anything. Basically a couple of lucky moments separating you from 14th. Just ignoring everything with your eyes and using the league table as your only reference is strange when all the other underlying numbers are poor.

Pardew got 6th? not that long ago. Seem to remember they took an abnormal percentage of their chances that season.

The thing with Lage and his style change ideas and dreams, don't all the youth teams also heavily feature a 3 at the back? Seems wasteful to potentially throw that all away.

3 at the back doesn't have to be just a defensive system and when we've had 352 you've seen us be extremely effective or more attacking too in the past.

I always bring this up but Uruguay used to move between a 3 and 4 but always with wingback, Athletico don't just sit back in the league games but are drilled into that defensive shell when needed, even Ajax during the 90s played an extremely attacking 343.

Clubs like ourselves never become fully established in the PL to a point that relegation is completely out the question. Means you’ve got to keep on evolving and recognise as a club when things are moving in a dangerous direction.
We’ve just stagnated and an attitude of they’ve never got us trouble before do we’ll be ok again.

I'm sad it has come to this, but I see no other way than him to leave.

It's all I'm capable of saying on this at this time.

I'm still torn, but only because the connotations of having to replace manager and players. But if they are going to get rid they better not dilly dally about it. Because if they do that will fuck us more than leaving it as is and let him get his players if it all goes tits up.

P13 W3 D2 L8.

It's atrocious. We've played all of the bottom five in that run too.

An awful, awful, awful manager.

I don't think some of the players have exactly covered themselves in glory by effectively shitting themselves when we were in touching distance of a realistic Euro spot, but Lage comes across as so uninspiring and confused I can't blame them too much.

I watch us and I have no idea how he wants us to play, score goals or win games.

I really don't want to lose the manager and a shitload of first XI players as that's pretty seismic and I don't trust the likes of Shit and Sellars to replace either properly, but I'm struggling to see a different option.

Pretty worried for us next year, hope it's just 'Wolfism'

I don't think some of the players have exactly covered themselves in glory by effectively shitting themselves when we were in touching distance of a realistic Euro spot, but Lage comes across as so uninspiring and confused I can't blame them too much.

I watch us and I have no idea how he wants us to play, score goals or win games.

I really don't want to lose the manager and a shitload of first XI players as that's pretty seismic and I don't trust the likes of Shit and Sellars to replace either properly, but I'm struggling to see a different option.

Pretty worried for us next year, hope it's just 'Wolfism'
Same here, if as rumoured, half our best and most experienced players leave, I just don't see us bringing anything like the same quality

Same here, if as rumoured, half our best and most experienced players leave, I just don't see us bringing anything like the same quality

Although Gomes was a bright spark today, and Chiquinho always looks positive (and is actually a decent crosser of the ball), I agree with TT on the latter and unfortunately feel it may apply to the former also; they stand out through being raw and committed, I'm not so sure they have the consistent quality to keep us at the top end of the table as we've been used to if they end up regulars next season...

Agree with those thoughts on Chiquinho. Nonetheless, what an absolute ripper of a cross for the Neto chance. A thing of beauty. Really highlighted how little of that we’ve seen for some time. Shame that after that he seemed to lose the courage of his convictions a little.

The most recent Athletic article Tim is back to calling this seasons "8th" an overachievement again, so that's one vote for Lage is a good manager then.

Pardew got 6th? not that long ago. Seem to remember they took an abnormal percentage of their chances that season.
And would you believe it that it wasn’t sustainable and they finished a lot lower the next season?

I know there aren’t many left on this forum, but to any of the “but we’re 8th” club, or if anyone in here encounters someone who says that, the argument is simple.

We are currently the same points off Burnley in the relegation zone as we are off Spurs in 4th. Two months ago we were level on points with Spurs.

If the alarm bells aren’t ringing for Shi they bloody ought to be.

Although Gomes was a bright spark today, and Chiquinho always looks positive (and is actually a decent crosser of the ball), I agree with TT on the latter and unfortunately feel it may apply to the former also; they stand out through being raw and committed, I'm not so sure they have the consistent quality to keep us at the top end of the table as we've been used to if they end up regulars next season...
Yep they should be being allowed to mature over next season with limited appearances, unfortunately it's looking increasingly like they'll be asked to be part of the mainstay of the team.
I'm feeling pretty negative atm and hoping I'm completely wrong, but I'm already preparing myself for a tough season and probable relegation battle.
Maybe I'm wrong and we get some decent quality in which at least allows us to compete but I'm not very confident.

A lot of people on social media seem to be trotting out the line “he wasn’t backed, so give him time”
I’ve pointed out regardless of that even if it is a big hindrance then does that mean the side just switches off with 7 games to go.
He’s not been left with a group of U23 players, at the very very least you should be able to organise your side and have them to basics to a decent standard.
We’re an absolute rabble at the moment, huge gaps out of possession, players not tracking runners and standing off opponents and never winning the second ball.

there seems to be a significant number of people in the south bank who believe he hasn't been backed, and therefore the blame doesn't really lie at his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back