• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Is Bruno Lage A Good Manager Or Should He Go?

Back him or sack him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else think we'll be playing championship football within 3 seasons at the most
If the recruitment carries on as it has definitely. The last good window we had was the Summer we came up and next season we will be going into our 5th season at this level. Nobody gets away with bad recruitment over a sustained period of time like this.

More from Ryan Leister:

#wwfc | Trouble at mill

Following on from yesterdays tweet about the training ground fall out, I’m also told that some players & Bruno are at loggerheads regarding tactics.

It was very clear that things were seriously wrong yesterday & clearly they aren’t all on the same page.

Given they've basically seen off two managers through downing tools, getting the next shmuck in isn't going to make much of a difference
True. Root and branch clear out time. Which is also somewhat unlikely.

If this poll had taken place in February the verdict would have been reversed. As Greavsie said" funny old game". I did vote out as the last few matches have been dire.

More from Ryan Leister:

#wwfc | Trouble at mill

Following on from yesterdays tweet about the training ground fall out, I’m also told that some players & Bruno are at loggerheads regarding tactics.

It was very clear that things were seriously wrong yesterday & clearly they aren’t all on the same page.
Either the manager or the players need to be backed, it seems they're incompatible at the moment.

More from Ryan Leister:

#wwfc | Trouble at mill

From what I’ve seen observing Bruno on the touch-line his elbow joints must be knackered from the continual “forward forward” gesture, which seems to be his only tactic of play he’s trying to get across to the players.

Given they've basically seen off two managers through downing tools, getting the next shmuck in isn't going to make much of a difference

Which is true but when managers start throwing players under the bus publicly or behind doors when things get tough it's hard to recover.

The regression since the Spurs game is worrying the defence has got worse as has the football. Bruno just doesn't seem to have the ability to adapt from his rigid tactics (like Nuno) which has been evident for a while and like at Benfica when things don't go his way he loses the plot.

Tim2 has been very quiet during all of this
Everyone is.

Wolves have just tweeted the May fixtures, their first tweet since full time yesterday and nothing on Instagram from the club or any of the players in the past 24 hours either which is unusual

Wolves have just tweeted the May fixtures, their first tweet since full time yesterday and nothing on Instagram from the club or any of the players in the past 24 hours either which is unusual
Not even “now get your replica home kits for the bargain price of £6 or two for £10”

I think he has to go, as the players don’t appear to be listening to him.

The recent E&S headline that he “challenges” the players to qualify for Europe, and the dross actually served up by the players on the field suggests a huge gulf.

Having said that, someone on here (I think) said he was one of the lowest paid managers in the Prem, and without being unduly cynical, that might appeal to Fosun who seem generally reluctant to spend.

So we may have him for another season, or part of it.

I feel like the way the question is worded is loaded, but 43-0 votes for him to go tells its own story.

Unfortunately we have incompetent people in charge above Bruno so they’ll keep him, then not back him.

He's just ok, he's not the worst manager that I have ever seen but he's not near the best.

His remit was better our placing whilst also improving our young players and making the football more exciting. On the first he has succeeded but on the other two he hasn't done enough. Kilman and Ait-Nouri have improved under him, but then he hasn't done anything with Hoever (who in fariness does not seem to be good enough), Tote Gomes, Cundle, Trincao, or offered Silva more opportunities to flourish when he does appear to be getting more well-adjusted to this level. The Gomes one is really strange, he looked very raw but started two wins in the league. Then he gets subbed off against Norwich and has never been seen again. Cundle started a win at Spurs then doesn't make another appearance, even off the bench, for 2 months. Then hasn't been seen again after that Newcastle game.

With this existing group of players I think we would have really struggled with a 4 at the back, you could see it in pre-season. He did realise this but did we have to revert to a one-dimensional version of Nuno's tactics? No. We've been lucky to win as many games as we have because the way we defend is pretty rubbish, just fall into that low block and constantly hoof the ball away, fail to hold it up, then it comes straight back. The numbers themselves show how lucky we have been, you can get lucky now and then but it's not sustainable to rely on rare goals from very few chances and then Sa to constantly bail us out. We also struggle to get anything from losing positions.

We've seen plenty of weird appointments in the Premier League, to say he wouldn't have been appointed anywhere else is a bit harsh even if the reasoning was the Mendes link. Came close to replacing Smith at Villa over lockdown didn't he? You see coaches like Frank Lampard, Marco Silva, Mauricio Pellegrino, Jan Siewert, Bob Bradley, Jesse Marsch, Solskjaer, Carlos Carvahal, all get appointed with weak or limited CVs for various reasons. Some people from Portugal said Nuno would be a Mendes stooge, I don't mind us trying a coach from abroad (better than the same old tired British coaches some clubs in the league rely on rotating round and round). Especially when he won a Portuguese title and supposedly had a record of attacking football and doing well with young players, but it hasn't worked out.

Fosun have been pretty ruthless in the past, they pulled the trigger early on Zenga, sought out a replacement for Lambert quickly and Nuno's bad spell also meant the end. We'll have a new manager next season I think. I'm not actively Lage out but wouldn't trouble me too much if he left. The comparisons to Claude Puel at Southampton seem pretty accurate to me.

Conspiracy theory I know, but I wonder if he’s had a bust up with Podence (who never actually seemed to actually get injured) and the others (Raul, Jonny and so on) are mad because Podence is our best attacking option and Bruno is choosing to do it without him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back