• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Is Bruno Lage A Good Manager Or Should He Go?

Back him or sack him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The world cup thing for a new manager feels like a misnomer though.

Getting a new manager in during a period where many players will be away doesn't feel worthwhile or wise for starting a new role, given the way teams operate with head coaches you'd imagine it would be easier to sweep out Lage and his staff, maybe keep the recruitment guy that looked about 19, and just temporarily install the coaches from u23/u21s etc around the first team for now, until a new manager.

Surely the decision makers have seen enough now to grasp the bleeding obvious fact that Lage is simply not up to the job. Whether it be corners, throw ins, slow and mind-numbingly predictable attacking play nothing is improving. It’s incredible to think they’re watching the same games as us and still believe he’s going to turn us into an effective team.

When he was appointed I was underwhelmed to a point I was worried.
He did nothing new last season just carried over the organisation and discipline left by Nuno.
The idea we sacked Nuno effectively to bring in Lage just seems utter stupidity.
We don’t play better football, we don’t get better results either. Every game is a hard watch.
The utter BS I saw from some after the 1-0 defeat at spurs about how a good effort against top 6 teams would translate to good results against lesser opponents.
He’s out his depth in the Premier league, this division requires a coach who can positively affect the game and outwit his opposite number. He’s managed that once in 16 attempts.
If you’re a stats person they’re even more damming on his performance.
1 win in 16 regardless of your resources anyone at any level would be in deep trouble.
Reality is the players he’s had for those games shouldn’t be performing so badly.
Averaging 0.5 points per game in that period, if that continues we’ll be down by March.
Look at the poor form of returning players from injury Neto, Raul, Johnny. Yes player responsibility but the last 2 so reliable 2 years ago now inconsistent to poor.
He comes across as a bad man manager if he was in any other Industry (which football isn’t) he’d have been dragged into HR for public slagging his staff.
He will probably do a decent job at a club in a league where the pressure and quality level is far lower.

Spent the first half with his arms crossed and the second with his hands in his pockets.

I know the atmosphere was fairly subdued today, but the even the “Bruno Lage’s Barmy Army” wasn’t sang with any gusto.

I think he’s lucky there’s an international break that may save him until the middle of October.

Can anyone please explain to me why, in God's name, does he insist in playing Podence in the centre of a front 3? Would Guedes, who has played that role previously, not make far more sense?

Reactions: b3h
Can anyone please explain to me why, in God's name, does he insist in playing Podence in the centre of a front 3? Would Guedes, who has played that role previously, not make far more sense?
Pod did ok as the false 9 after the sending off in all fairness, probably one of our better players.

Nunes was better deeper where he could properly be a box-to-box midfielder.

It's frustrating we have a manager who can't play his best players in their best positions in a formation that suits them.

We don’t play the false 9 well. Podence doesn’t come that deep and even when he does the other forwards dont run in behind into the space. We basically just play a 5ft5 bloke in the same way Raul played it and then give it out wide for it to then go backwards.

Needs more time though…

We don’t play the false 9 well. Podence doesn’t come that deep and even when he does the other forwards dont run in behind into the space. We basically just play a 5ft5 bloke in the same way Raul played it and then give it out wide for it to then go backwards.

Needs more time though…

He comes deep enough. The second point is the issue, it's like everyone is playing independently of each other.

Maybe Jeff and Guo leave at half time and haven't realised that we last scored a second half goal on 15 May. Just the four months ago.

I don't think he is under immediate pressure which is of course ridiculous. It's genuinely one of the worst prolonged runs we've had in 35+ years. With these players.

I do think he is under pressure. They acted with Zenga when it fell apart, and again when league position dipped under Nuno they sacked him. They'll be looking at us being 17th now, and if we lose at West Ham and drop into the bottom 3 I can see them pulling the trigger.

All of that may be more in hope however 😅

Spoke to my mate who's a STH after the game. He's still in the give it time camp but went into a bit of depth. Might post what he said. Saw the people I went with before I dropped my ST today as well and they are also still thinking that way. Makes me wonder how many sat at Mol are still thinking/hoping it...

Spoke to my mate who's a STH after the game. He's still in the give it time camp but went into a bit of depth. Might post what he said. Saw the people I went with before I dropped my ST today as well and they are also still thinking that way. Makes me wonder how many sat at Mol are still thinking/hoping it...
I wasn't at Saints game, however I seemed a lone voice where I sit in discussion about Bruno at the Newcastle game. Definitely more in the Bruno out camp around me yesterday, but that's just from conversations rather than outright chanting for it.

Pick nothing up from West Ham and Chelsea, and then fall behind against Forest and I reckon it will turn pretty toxic, pretty quickly

Reactions: b3h
If you see him again give his guide dog a biscuit!

Still no real anti-Lage stuff from around me (I don't sit there calling him a cunt and bawling away that we should sack him, you get behind the team as best you can at the game - that said, other than letting people walk past, I don't think I got out of my seat once yesterday, we offered nothing).

It's odd.

Still no real anti-Lage stuff from around me (I don't sit there calling him a cunt and bawling away that we should sack him, you get behind the team as best you can at the game - that said, other than letting people walk past, I don't think I got out of my seat once yesterday, we offered nothing).

It's odd.
Were they on their way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back