• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Is Bruno Lage A Good Manager Or Should He Go?

Back him or sack him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Responding to social media rumours is unusual in the first place imho which makes me think there is something in it

None of the social media sports wise I follow mentioned anything, some of them post rumours and gossip, but nothing, so as Johnny says, bollocked for letting it slip out?

It feels like being stuck in fucking purgatory with him in charge.

Please you've looked at the squad and invested in that, please now get the right man to steer the bloody boat.

He’s not being sacked sounds like a bit of Chinese whisper on social media.
However Liam tweeting his position is secure is wide of the mark too. His position isn’t under threat for the next 2 weeks is probably more realistic.

He’s not being sacked sounds like a bit of Chinese whisper on social media.
However Liam tweeting his position is secure is wide of the mark too. His position isn’t under threat for the next 2 weeks is probably more realistic.
Everton winning yesterday may indirectly be the trigger given a loss at West Ham puts us in the bottom 3

Everton winning yesterday may indirectly be the trigger given a loss at West Ham puts us in the bottom 3

Hopefully, 17th after 7 games with 1 win and barely scoring is totally unacceptable regardless of playing staff

The other argument I’ve seen on Twitter is that the club need to give him time to see what he can do with his own players, a striker, time to bed players in and work on the “transition” plus any other excuse under the sun, given the board made the decision to not sack him in the summer.

This is all assuming that we can only make a decision at point x, which widely seems to be accepted as the WC break. It can’t be this binary where we’re pot committed and have to ignore everything and see it out to the bitter end. There needs to be some Green shoots of recovery on the way. It’s currently “Oh it’s only been 7 games”, then “only 12 games and he didn’t get his players until the 5th”, then suddenly “15 games now maybe he is just shit”.

But why do you have to wait that long? If it becomes clearer you made a mistake you don’t have to wait until the end to find out, you accept it and cut your losses.

I don’t think we will lose to West Ham (more likely without Collins) but I don’t think we will win either. Then odds of a win at Chelsea are slim. With all the bottom half clubs playing each other in these next two gameweeks he shouldn’t really get the home banker against Forest.

It’s just odd that people are saying he needs time with no justification other than “then we will really know” rather than looking at every single sign along the way and in his short career previously.

Let’s say it was 50/50 in the summer, you’ve now realised you might have backed the wrong horse. You can cash out now and take the small loss as it’s now 75/25 against you or you can put more down and let it ride to the end regardless and lose it all and more.

I think people are basing it on we came 10th last season so he must be ok.
Ignorant to the fact that 8th should’ve been easily bagged but we capitulated in the last 9 games.
Name me 1 manager who’s position is secure after a poor run of 10 games let alone 16.

I'm still finding it a bit too much of a coincidence that Liam tweets that Lage isn't getting sacked and GFFH also posts about a potential (very, very unlikely) new manager on the same day.

Not saying we're getting TT by any stretch, it's just... unusual

The other argument I’ve seen on Twitter is that the club need to give him time to see what he can do with his own players, a striker,

Never get this part...

Collins - looks a good signing for anyone outside top 6

Nunes - any team would have been happy to have him

Guedes - linked with him for ages, Mendes carousel

Sasa - maybe?

Traore - unsure

Costa - best of the free transfer list

Hwang - insert dodginess here

Think they've [finally] backed the squad, not Lage. Doubt he had much say

Just one thing on Lage .

People keep referencing our form over the final 12/13 matches last season and linking this to a reason to sack Lage .

I would argue that he will only be sacked based on this seasons form and not last season .

Look at Leicester , Forest and West Ham - all are in the bottom three . If their respective clubs sack their Managers ( Rogers , Cooper and Moyes ) , then it will have nothing to do with last season and everything to do with this season .
All those three had a decent season last time around......Cooper taking Forest from rock bottom in the Championship to promotion is very noteworthy , Rogers ( 5th , 5th and 8th in his last 3 seasons ) , Moyes - securing European football for the last two seasons and sitting consistently in the top 5 of the League .
And yet , and yet , all three Managers are under huge pressure of being sacked .

The long and short of it is that your position in the League table right now determines your chance of remaining in a job - last season counts for little if your mid table right now .

Even towards the end of last season when we were losing matches , drawing them , we were still scoring goals ( 2 v Chelsea at the Bridge ) , 1 against City , 1 against Liverpool ......and we were creating chances as well .

We seem afraid to attack , afraid of losing the ball , afraid of taking a risk .

West Ham is a 6 pointer - can see us winning that or even drawing as Moyes needs a win really badly and I think he'll get it .

They considered sacking him at the end of last season so it clearly would play a part in their thinking

The long and short of it is that your position in the League table right now determines your chance of remaining in a job - last season counts for little if your mid table right now
If you were poor last season and mid table this it would suggest improvement. The point with Lage is the start of this season is a continuation of last. It shows a prolonged period of poor results and more importantly poor performances.

Just one thing on Lage .

People keep referencing our form over the final 12/13 matches last season and linking this to a reason to sack Lage .

I would argue that he will only be sacked based on this seasons form and not last season .

Look at Leicester , Forest and West Ham - all are in the bottom three . If their respective clubs sack their Managers ( Rogers , Cooper and Moyes ) , then it will have nothing to do with last season and everything to do with this season .
All those three had a decent season last time around......Cooper taking Forest from rock bottom in the Championship to promotion is very noteworthy , Rogers ( 5th , 5th and 8th in his last 3 seasons ) , Moyes - securing European football for the last two seasons and sitting consistently in the top 5 of the League .
And yet , and yet , all three Managers are under huge pressure of being sacked .

The long and short of it is that your position in the League table right now determines your chance of remaining in a job - last season counts for little if your mid table right now .

Even towards the end of last season when we were losing matches , drawing them , we were still scoring goals ( 2 v Chelsea at the Bridge ) , 1 against City , 1 against Liverpool ......and we were creating chances as well .

We seem afraid to attack , afraid of losing the ball , afraid of taking a risk .

West Ham is a 6 pointer - can see us winning that or even drawing as Moyes needs a win really badly and I think he'll get it .
Not using end of last season form as a reason for sacking him, but it can't be ignored. In the same way, if we had finished 7th and made a cup final, he'd get more of a chance from me.

His record is appalling, this season and stretching into last season. Maybe the reason Leicester haven't binned off Rodgers is he has a record there to fall back on, Lage doesn't

Not using end of last season form as a reason for sacking him, but it can't be ignored. In the same way, if we had finished 7th and made a cup final, he'd get more of a chance from me.

His record is appalling, this season and stretching into last season. Maybe the reason Leicester haven't binned off Rodgers is he has a record there to fall back on, Lage doesn't
No, it’s because they would have to pay him about £10M to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back