• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Is Bruno Lage A Good Manager Or Should He Go?

Back him or sack him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
think the big issue for me, is some decisions have to be made fucking quickly, ie within the next 14 days.
If we're having a significant squad overhaul, they need time to bed in. We can't be making signings with 1 week to the season starting. We have to get them in early, for pre season.
That means we have to make a decision on keeping Lage or not, and if not, instal the new manager asap so he has time to implement his ideas, and make decisions/inform transfer policy.

think the big issue for me, is some decisions have to be made fucking quickly, ie within the next 14 days.
If we're having a significant squad overhaul, they need time to bed in. We can't be making signings with 1 week to the season starting. We have to get them in early, for pre season.
That means we have to make a decision on keeping Lage or not, and if not, instal the new manager asap so he has time to implement his ideas, and make decisions/inform transfer policy.

there seems to be a significant number of people in the south bank who believe he hasn't been backed, and therefore the blame doesn't really lie at his feet.
The problem with that logic is these are still good, international class players. To have them playing so abjectly either means a) they have no interest in playing for him, b) he can't get his ideas across properly, or c) this is genuinely the best he can do. None of which portray him favourably.

I'm not saying I agree with that POV, just it seems quite prevalent!

there seems to be a significant number of people in the south bank who believe he hasn't been backed, and therefore the blame doesn't really lie at his feet.

I hear that from a few but honestly would anyone trust him with his own players I have this horrible image of a team of Hwang's and even more coma inducing football.

The core of this team is still capable of more than the stuff we are producing recently as a coach Bruno's job is to get more out the team. His performances since Spurs is as bad as Nuno last season I would say arguably worse.

This is where I find myself to be honest. I don't go to games any more, I don't arrange my weekends around watching a stream of the game, so I just see the results, think, that's another meh game, see the table, oh, we're 7th/8th etc, that'll do, I'd have taken that last August. I've become oddly desensitised to it (probably belongs in the Metal Heath thread this bit), but it kind of helps being that way too.
Good post.

Firstly, hope you're doing ok, MW.

Just wanted to add to this post that, I know I'm not (currently!) a season ticket holder - but I very much echo your thoughts above in terms of how I see the club on my priority list, currently. It's a changeable situation based on a number of factors, of course, but right now - the last 4 games (bar the midweek City game that was on Sky), I've had other plans and haven't watched us. What I would normally do, is have a look what day and time we are playing over a weekend (if I'm not attending in person), and where possible, I would always plan our weekend activities with the kids or whatever, to make sure I could at least catch a stream of our game - or watch them on Sky etc - much to the annoyance of the Mrs. But these last few weeks, my level of interest in watching us has been at an all time low, so I've just not bothered and if I've been able to catch us - great - but I haven't been fussed if not. In all my life supporting Wolves I've never been like that.

It's weird, because I was born in 84, so I've watched us through some pretty dire years. I used to travel to home and away matches with my Dad during the 90's to some proper shitholes - Bradford, Oldham, Tranmere, both Sheffield clubs, Bolton, Barnsley (I could go on), so it's strange that my interest levels are so low right now considering we're going to finish mid-table in the PL. That's on Shi, Bruno and the players. The drop off in form and entertainment this season has been alarming.

I think Wop touched on it the other day, but I've genuinely felt sorry for those of you with a ST actively choosing to go in the hope of some entertainment, and having to sit through as many goals as games at home this season. That's never been the case before - I've always been envious of you ST holders! So for me, they're going to have to do something special this summer. As soon as the fans start switching off/walking away, it's difficult to turn that around.

I'm not saying I agree with that POV, just it seems quite prevalent!
No I get it. Despite myself I do have a look through twitter sometimes and I just have to shake my head at some of the bootlicking nonsense people come out with.

Critical thinking is becoming a lost art, sadly - people are just content to take what they're given without ever questioning.

I'm amazed to see people saying that their level of interest is at an all time low.

I understand that it may have dropped off, but this is still our most successful period in my lifetime, and when you compare it to what we witnessed under Hoddle and the players we were watching at the time, or under Saunders, Solbakken and Lambert it's miles a head of that.

I do have a bit of sympathy for Lage, just a bit though. Kilman and Saiss both dropped off significantly I think around February. Kilman got an injury I think and Saiss when to AFCON and came back rubbish. Before that they were imperious.

Compare that to Sunday.

I'm amazed to see people saying that their level of interest is at an all time low.

I understand that it may have dropped off, but this is still our most successful period in my lifetime, and when you compare it to what we witnessed under Hoddle and the players we were watching at the time, or under Saunders, Solbakken and Lambert it's miles a head of that.
I did say I had sat through years of dross so it's weird, but you can't help how you feel!

It's actually quite similar to the Hoddle days. Superficially the league position looks ok, especially given very limited net spend (was the same under Hoddle), but I cannot stress enough how awful the football is, as with Hoddle the manager takes no responsibility and is extremely dislikeable, as with Hoddle the selections are often completely nonsensical, as with Hoddle there's little hope anything will improve. Sure, the opposition are generally superior to what we faced in 2006 but so what. The enjoyment values are about the same.

As I said the other week, this is the very worst of Nuno's football with all the heart and soul stripped out. An entirely joyless experience.

But there is a huge difference, we are still watching the best players we've had in our lifetimes, Neves, Moutinho, and to a lesser extent Neto, Coady, there are good players and/or big characters.

I just don't think it's in anyway comparable to what we were watching under Hoddle, Lambert or Saunders.

But there is a huge difference, we are still watching the best players we've had in our lifetimes, Neves, Moutinho, and to a lesser extent Neto, Coady, there are good players and/or big characters.

I just don't think it's in anyway comparable to what we were watching under Hoddle, Lambert or Saunders.
Goalposts move, expectations change.

Rotherham fans aren’t having less fun because they are in L1, I’d wager they are having more fun.

I was bored under Hoddle and I'm bored under Lage? Surely that's a sensible comparison? I mean, it's how I felt watching football under both managers?

It's actually quite similar to the Hoddle days. Superficially the league position looks ok, especially given very limited net spend (was the same under Hoddle), but I cannot stress enough how awful the football is, as with Hoddle the manager takes no responsibility and is extremely dislikeable, as with Hoddle the selections are often completely nonsensical, as with Hoddle there's little hope anything will improve. Sure, the opposition are generally superior to what we faced in 2006 but so what. The enjoyment values are about the same.

As I said the other week, this is the very worst of Nuno's football with all the heart and soul stripped out. An entirely joyless experience.
Must admit I was having the same thoughts as EP. I guess for all you longterm regular attendants, after so long of us being in the doldrums and then the highs of the Nuno days its inevitable that its difficult to get motivated following the last few months.
It should be a concern to those behind the scenes that so many supporters with a lifetime of attendance are so disillusioned.
Tbf it seems to be mainly on here, a few other sites I've looked at have a significant percentage of anti Lage comments but on here it feels like 75% of members are on the verge of giving up following Wolves at all.

Agreed. Its not as if we've been terrible all season, but the last couple of months have been turgid. We have been better than under Nuno last season for the most part (not miles better mind) but since the Leeds loss we've just nosedived in every area of the team.

I'm still in the "give him 10-15 games next season with some new players to see what he can do" camp. But I know a lot of people aren't.

This place isn't consisent with other SM and reaction within the ground at least where the manager is concerned and if you are only going on league position then obviously all that holds. Few mitigating points though:

4 years in, PL novelty has worn off. Watching us in the Championship and lower isn't preferable, but at least for now the PL is the norm so is judged accordingly. For those who go - we are being charged entertainment prices to not be entertained. For those with a season ticket behind the goals, assuming you made all the home league games each goal scored by us cost £28

The playing style is dull and with the odd exception has been all season. It's means to an end football and if you don't get the end it's a pretty soulless experience. Being an also ran breeds apathy even if its an also ran at a higher level than we are used to

Most believe that Jeff and co are at best not fit for purpose and at worse a bunch of incompetent arseholes. Only the real hardcore still support them. There's a big disconnect between the ownership and the fans, probably as large as at any point in the Moxey years

This opinion will vary by person, but we've got some unlikeable players - be they shit, playactors or workshy. First time it's been that way for a while - worryingly some that fall into the latter camp didn't used to be.

yep. with all the speculation about key players on the brink of leaving and changes in the system that's been key to how we've played for several seasons, together with the huge drop off in form/results, this is now a massive transfer window. hard not to be fearful - we'll get linked with all and sundry, but can we sell a vision to bring quality replacements in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back