• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2021 Transfer Window

Would Silva, Mir or Catrone be adequate in the short to medium term?
Mir and Cutrone won't be in consideration. Both essentially had horrid spells in the UK and I think Cutrones attitude ruin his chances of a return.

Ideal time to look around for a forward who isn't a 1st choice but wants to go and play in the Euro's in the Summer

Silva is better Raul insurance than we've had for the last 2 seasons, bar arguably a few months with Cutrone. It leaves us light below him, but at least there is a credible alternative now

The problem Silva has is if he doesn't score in the next few games certain people out there will be questioning him and his price tag he had nothing to do with !
They already are!!

This is the other downside to losing Jota as he could play through the middle, none of Traore, Neto or Podence realistically can (or should) so we’ve only got Silva which I’m fine with but he will need some help for sure.

We have plenty of time to find out the extent of Raul's recovery time before going in for anyone else.

Anyone who seriously mentions Nelson Oliveira as an option gets an Internet slap. He was a "hmmm, maybe for a few months I suppose" possibility when we were in the Championship three years ago (we got Afobe instead, and rightly pied him off once we'd got some very limited use out of him). That's not even remotely the kind of calibre we want.

We'll have to see with Raul. Cristian Chivu fractured his skull in January 2010. Was back playing by March and won the Champions League two months later.

The problem Silva has is if he doesn't score in the next few games certain people out there will be questioning him and his price tag he had nothing to do with !

Thing is, you could literally pick any Wolves topic and someone would be talking hysterical rubbish about it on Twitter or whatever. I like Twitter, but it's a cess-pool when it comes to opinons sometimes. No point in worrying about it, or thinking it genuinely reflects on Wolves fans in general.

This is the other downside to losing Jota as he could play through the middle, none of Traore, Neto or Podence realistically can (or should) so we’ve only got Silva which I’m fine with but he will need some help for sure.
Really?

I suspect the immediate plan will be for Silva to lead the line - then if he needs time off the pitch, Vitinha can slot in to one of those attacking three positions behind the forward with, probably, Neto leading the line. Far from ideal but it’s still better than recalling the likes of Cutrone, Mir or Bonatini - none of whom are anything like good enough.

I thought Fabio did brilliantly last night, showed fight, good movement and some excellent touches in very difficult circumstances. I do wonder how he will get on against the more agricultural defenders in the league - but that discussion is for another day.

I don’t see Giroud as a very Fosun signing. More likely we may go back in for Paulinho, or someone else totally off our radar.

Cutrone, Mir or Bonatini - none of whom are anything like good enough.
Even if we wanted to recall any of them we couldn't anyway until January (assuming we have recall options in their season long deals of course)

On the likes of Giroud - No he isn't they type of signing we would make and highly unlikley he would join us anyway but depending on the nature of Raul's injury, the striker we get in January could well be just a short term fix rather than a big money move. So a forward desperate for minutes ahead of the Euros is why the likes of Giroud will be mentioned

Giroud isn’t a Fosun signing but 3 months ago we signed Marcal purely to cover the injured Jonny.

Going 4 at the back certainly suits Marcal, Jonny and I’d say Semedo too. Puts less defensive pressure on João and Neves in a double pivot and also puts less attacking burden on Donck where he is uncomfortable. Factor in it gets the most out of Traore then it’s a no brainer to work on it more. We can still make it more defensive by playing a conventional midfielder instead of one of the forwards, whilst still having 3-4-3 to switch too as well.

Can outfield players wear the head gear a la Petr Cech? Dan mentions Chivu - I'm pretty sure he may have had one, actually.

He certainly did:

299957-4ec6e98895efc9a3c80e01802aa2f44ae6adddf3df467eb825e4e6f93b72dfc5.jpg

Get some Adidas Predator style stuff on the headgear, give those headers a massive swerve past the keeper.

That's good: at least that may be a possibility, then. The only difference I can see between Raul's and any of Mason/Cech/Chivu is that his was firmly into the side of his head as opposed to the front/back.

Mir & Cutrone are not options & not sure they are good enough.

There is some merit (& precedent) to signing an older experienced player to cover (as others have said Marcal is a case in point). Not sure who though

It has to be a Marcal-esque signing really: someone who is coming knowing they're plugging a gap but has a chance to re-ignite their career and prove themselves. Giroud would probably be perfect.

Back