• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

Plus previous gerrymandering by the Tories.

Just go in for a deal with the SNP. Massive effective parliamentary majority then

Presume any deal with the SNP would include an IndyRef2, don't know what the Labour position is.

The first 30 seconds of this makes me seethe. Turns up massively late with a shit excuse and didn't bother calling ahead, then behaves like an absolute fucking wanker.

Dignity, Owen. Always dignity.
Very hard to be respectful to Campbell though.

This enormous lead would only convert to a 22 seat majority. Shows the damage the semi permanent loss of Scotland has done

This kind of majority would be fine in practice - for 80% of the time the Lib Dems and/or SNP and/or the rest (PC, Greens, NI parties) would be on board enough to limit the power of any Labour rebels. Unlike May’s and Cameron’s 2015-2019 Tories, they House as a whole would have a strong majority in lots of policy areas even if not necessarily within the governing party.

The real problem would be if the majority is single figures, though - at least with a minority you can sort out some kind of confidence agreement, but with things on such a knife edge it gives every faction, and opposition party, incredible leverage.

This kind of majority would be fine in practice - for 80% of the time the Lib Dems and/or SNP and/or the rest (PC, Greens, NI parties) would be on board enough to limit the power of any Labour rebels. Unlike May’s and Cameron’s 2015-2019 Tories, they House as a whole would have a strong majority in lots of policy areas even if not necessarily within the governing party.

The real problem would be if the majority is single figures, though - at least with a minority you can sort out some kind of confidence agreement, but with things on such a knife edge it gives every faction, and opposition party, incredible leverage.
Lib Dems have insisted on PR without a referendum as the price for their support. Much as I despise the austerity enabling cunts it would be a price worth paying.

I assume its being reported from the comment of one of the people on Politics Live earlier - they just said its not a priority compared to sorting the economy, nhs etc.

Drawing some very clear parallels with the 70s in his speech - very valid.

I know its just words, but I think this is the biggest challenge we have - the years since Brexit in particular have led to a lot of fatalism and a lack of hope among people.

Starmer pledges to restore 'collective hope'​

Next, Starmer hails the importance of "collective hope" - something he promises he would restore if he was in government.
The Labour leader harks back to his working-class upbringing in the 1970s, saying he can remember what rising prices feels like - when his family was unable to pay phone bills.
Starmer pledges to make sure "nobody in this country is held back by their circumstances", to further applause.
He says his parents were able to improve their lot by "working their socks off".
But now, he adds, people are "working harder and harder just to stand still".
"Our spirit is ground down", says Starmer.
In a further attack on tax cuts unveiled by new Prime Minister Liz Truss, he says "it turns out there is money for the top 1%".
Starmer suggests an unwritten contract between the government and the public has been broken in the wake of the pandemic - leaving people cynical about real change happening.

Don’t tell Sid but if Great British Energy is a success what is there to stop the Tories selling it off?!

Only balanced to mention the stupid racist twerp who will gain more headlines than the Starmer speech will in certain quarters. I get what she was trying to say, but good god not like that

Back