• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Landmark Klaxon!

All three of our bins are the bigger size as standard I think, they're certainly all the same size, the recycling one is hampered by an insert that takes up a fair bit of room but we generally don't have much of the stuff that goes in there so just leave it out if we're struggling for space.

Had a bit of a mare when we first moved up here as took some bin types for granted based on colours back home, had to dig a lot of garden waste back out of my recycling bin. :(

You may or not be aware and may or may not be interested, in Ireland we have 'bin tags'. You buy the tag and stick it to the bin handle. Bin men wont empty the bin unless it's got a tag. Crap idea really.

We compost raw vegetable waste, any other food waste goes into the dog or on the bird table, we recycle plastic, glass and metal. Burn everything else like paper and card in the stove. Never have a bin emptied.

You may or not be aware and may or may not be interested, in Ireland we have 'bin tags'. You buy the tag and stick it to the bin handle. Bin men wont empty the bin unless it's got a tag. Crap idea really.

May I ask what the purpose is? :icon_lol:

Well there's no 'community charge', so it's run by private alleged 'recycling companies'.
Quite a few households seem to prefer dumping it in the nearest ditch though as it saves them a few bob.

The tags are paper and removed by the bin men. You only buy a tag and put the bin out when you require it to be emptied. So the less waste you create the less you pay.

Well there's no 'community charge', so it's run by private alleged 'recycling companies'.
Quite a few households seem to prefer dumping it in the nearest ditch though as it saves them a few bob.

Not sure that thats overly helpful to our one planet - mine at least gets collected and disposed of (though not sure that the recycling gets put anywhere different to the rest of the rubbish)

In Dublin, you have poxy bin bags, you buy a pack of 3 for a tenner, they hold about 75ltr each, you fill them and leave them out for collection. The problem is that the birds and foxes tear holes in them, then the binmen dont pick them up as the bags have to be in a 'suitable condition', so the bags get left in the street to get spread around by seagulls. It creates an unbelievable mess and is just the most idiotic solution to waste disposal ever.

Not sure that thats overly helpful to our one planet - mine at least gets collected and disposed of (though not sure that the recycling gets put anywhere different to the rest of the rubbish)

No it's sickening and then volunteers have to go and clean up after the bastards. Ive seen fridges, mattresses, settees, you name it dumped.

Neither is charging to go to the tip. Just encourages fly tipping.

Think we're allowed to leave excess/bulky waste alongside the bins for collection on the appropriate days, and the tip is free.

Bolsover/Derbyshire is on fire for waste management!

South Staffs is on the same cycle as Mark describes, recycling one week, general waste the next. Somehow we manage to survive.
Same here in Burton. Food has to go in with general waste too.

We recycle as much as possible, and in reality can easily get away with only putting the main bin and recycling bin out every 4 weeks, except maybe at christmas when there's extra cardboard etc.

As a gardener I have several compost piles for anything organic.

When Birmingham changed to wheely bins, it was chaos here as they didn't have the right trucks! Fairly sure that we went 8 weeks without a collection. By this time, the bins were full, and pretty sure that it would be a lot worse for those with kids. What struck me as odd, was the predominant refusal by the majority to even consider going to the tip.

Socially, we create far too much waste imo.

The tags are paper and removed by the bin men. You only buy a tag and put the bin out when you require it to be emptied. So the less waste you create the less you pay.

We pay every 6 months for two bins and they are collected fortnightly (get a sticker to put on it to show you have paid up), which is ok (apart from the cardio workout I get every fortnight, pulling 2 full bins uphill for 400yds). However they are bringing in shortly new charging system where the service charge is lower but you are charged by the weight of the bin, every house has a weight allowance and for every kg over that, you get charged.

Idea is to increase recycling, as heard the expected average cost will be €100 per year extra. Not sure how much it will help the environment as people will generally rather then work harder recycling will be more rubbish burnt or increase the fly tipping.

Co-living is a really interesting concept. Hope it goes well.

Yeah, that's a really good idea. Hard to see anyone taking that on for office space in the current climate (and the current standing of Wolves as a city).

£600 all in isn't the worst deal.

Back