• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The substitutions and shape change is the costing factor combined with some poor character in the side.
Sa is at fault but it’s still 1-1 and doesn’t account for the poor showing second half.
Many on here since January have stated that leeds, Forest, Bournemouth, Leicester are crap and we’ve not beaten one of them in that period.

Many on here since January have stated that leeds, Forest, Bournemouth, Leicester are crap and we’ve not beaten one of them in that period.
They are, but you have to be balanced. In the same period we've beaten Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea. It doesn't really matter who we get the points from, but I understand the underlying sentiment. The biggest issue will continue to be lack of goals, despite apparent first half domination we had 1 shot on target

I don't really know what I think about him tbh. Look at the league table on Xmas Day to now and it's undeniably a good job, but some of the team selections, subs and in game management are just baffling from someone with his pedigree. I'm hoping a balanced squad to start next season fixes that
This is where I’m at.

Has he improved us? Yes.

Does he still make alarming mistakes for a manager of his pedigree? Also yes.

I want him to put his own stamp on the squad over the summer, and I think he will - but it’s infuriating how he keeps making the same errors.

The substitutions and shape change is the costing factor combined with some poor character in the side.
Sa is at fault but it’s still 1-1 and doesn’t account for the poor showing second half.
We didn't change shape until he threw all the attackers on for the last 10 minutes.

I don't really know what I think about him tbh. Look at the league table on Xmas Day to now and it's undeniably a good job, but some of the team selections, subs and in game management are just baffling from someone with his pedigree. I'm hoping a balanced squad to start next season fixes that
Totally agree. I am reluctant to be too critical of him due to the overall points return but he does make some questionable decisions.

I am hopeful that with a few more signings both he and we will improve considerably next season.

Costa probably taken off because there’s a game Tuesday, (If people still can’t see what he offers then I’m baffled), but you knew we had that before the start. So why did you not at least put Raul on the bench instead of one of the FOUR average wingers you had on there so you could actually make a like for like change. He may have been rubbish but couldn’t be any worse than it predicable played out.

It may have had some merit if we played with intensity and used the added pace but Neves slowed it all down and default passed backwards when in acres of space with a great opportunity to counter. Then we’ve got nothing to actually open them up in general play as we’ve seen a million times. No idea what Moutinho did, generally just got in the way.

So frustrating. How many times does he have to keep making these shit decisions. Stumbled across the winning formula and then still changes it.

It might be me (usually is), but I think it's more a personnel thing. Not having a proper alternative to Costa means we end up compromising in at least two positions to accommodate.

I wonder why Raul isn't around these days

It might be me (usually is), but I think it's more a personnel thing. Not having a proper alternative to Costa means we end up compromising in at least two positions to accommodate.

I wonder why Raul isn't around these days
Agreed.

The Phillips article alluded to it being something personal with Raul.

As soon as Moutinho came on the shape changed.
In practice, but not in theory. Look at the positional map Punts put up on the Forest verdict thread when Moutinho was supposedly play that pseudo 10 role. It's alien to him and he can't do it, just like Cunha can't lead the line, but supposedly it's like for like

The shape changed because Hwang was playing high whereas Sarabia was dropping Deep and central, Moutinho was just floating anywhere whereas Costa and Cunha were definitely playing in tandem prior, and Neves was playing CB again which naturally just changed everything.

We must be the only team that never wins if we’re crap…Lesta are shyte, leeeeeedz are shyte, Forest are shyte, Bournemouth are shyte and we have 4 points from 24😐

In practice, but not in theory. Look at the positional map Punts put up on the Forest verdict thread when Moutinho was supposedly play that pseudo 10 role. It's alien to him and he can't do it, just like Cunha can't lead the line, but supposedly it's like for like
Yep, I know you didn't watch the game at all but this is what happened.

The disappointment for me (regardless of why) is that Raul isn’t available to come on a replace Costa so we can maintain a system which works. There may well be good reason, but it’s a shame and a problem as our alternative systems are less effective.

Back