• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I don't think anybody is disagreeing with his reasoning, but we'll have to disagree in that I thought he got it wrong.

The Moutinho at 10 is odd as I don't think it's ever worked (Spurs was his best performance and not in that role) but it is hard to think who could play that role if both Cunha and Sarabia are off the pitch/ in different positions.

I'm hopeful Cundle can fulfill that role next season (but I might be on my own there, although another assists for him yesterday in the 10 role).

I'm certainly in the camp of being happy we've got a decent manager but up until a few weeks ago I did wonder what he was doing with his team choices. He seems to have settled now and is seeing what does and doesn't work and brave to try it.

Agree next season is the time to judge when we have his squad and players in the positions he wants.

If you want real negativity read the match day thread. My word, it's horrific.
I'm sure Moutinho at 10 has 'worked' before, can't think of specific examples right now though. It's never been spectacular, but it has been functional. It's just Julen squeezing the last bit of usefulness out of him tbh. I get why he does it and I'm not sure who else he has in the squad to do it if he's not picking João.

No idea on Cundle, haven't really followed how he's got on in the Championship. I think we probably need to recruit for that position, can't see anyone else apart from Cunha & Sarabia who could do it effectively and they can't play there all the time.

I think it'll take more than just 1 window to get it right. He's gone a long way to 'fixing' central midfield but then we don't know what's happening with at least 3 of our players in that position. Our CB options are woeful, I like some things about Dawson but he's not the right type of CB to be playing every week in that system, the rest of them are just straight up the wrong fit. That position needs a serious revamp. You could say similar about our wide options, there could be massive upheaval there. Of our forwards, one of the is broken, one is out of favour, one doesn't want to be here and one is out of contract. We could definitely do with another full back, especially if Jonny & RAN leave. We need to get a better GK as well... There's no way we do all that in one summer.

We’re another focal point, chop and change some of the wide men (were overstocked in those areas and it’s an area we can surely upgrade) keeper and centre half away from being absolutely fine.

That being said, I’m fairly sure Lops record since taking over is top half stuff? So definitely positives.

I’d also be potentially looking for another right back as can’t see Jonny being here (although toti can potentially double as cover there)?

Moutinho worked against Spurs but they weren’t sitting back. He still has something to offer in short substitute appearances but yesterday with him and Neves on the pitch everything became slow and predictable. That’s fine if you’re happy with what you’ve got but it cripples our chances of creating in open play.

Moutinho worked against Spurs but they weren’t sitting back. He still has something to offer in short substitute appearances but yesterday with him and Neves on the pitch everything became slow and predictable. That’s fine if you’re happy with what you’ve got but it cripples our chances of creating in open play.
Moutinho played a more familiar role as we matched Spurs up to their 3-4-3.

He didn't play as a 10.

We’re another focal point, chop and change some of the wide men (were overstocked in those areas and it’s an area we can surely upgrade) keeper and centre half away from being absolutely fine.

That being said, I’m fairly sure Lops record since taking over is top half stuff? So definitely positives.

I’d also be potentially looking for another right back as can’t see Jonny being here (although toti can potentially double as cover there)?
Just no.

Left footed CB not particularly great on the ball and never played RB.

I'm sure Moutinho at 10 has 'worked' before, can't think of specific examples right now though. It's never been spectacular, but it has been functional. It's just Julen squeezing the last bit of usefulness out of him tbh. I get why he does it and I'm not sure who else he has in the squad to do it if he's not picking João.

No idea on Cundle, haven't really followed how he's got on in the Championship. I think we probably need to recruit for that position, can't see anyone else apart from Cunha & Sarabia who could do it effectively and they can't play there all the time.

I think it'll take more than just 1 window to get it right. He's gone a long way to 'fixing' central midfield but then we don't know what's happening with at least 3 of our players in that position. Our CB options are woeful, I like some things about Dawson but he's not the right type of CB to be playing every week in that system, the rest of them are just straight up the wrong fit. That position needs a serious revamp. You could say similar about our wide options, there could be massive upheaval there. Of our forwards, one of the is broken, one is out of favour, one doesn't want to be here and one is out of contract. We could definitely do with another full back, especially if Jonny & RAN leave. We need to get a better GK as well... There's no way we do all that in one summer.
I don't think we need to be that drastic.

Cundle was involved in 2 of the Swans goals yesterday and is only 20. A good preseason with Lop will do him the world of good. If not we could always do some deal with Brizzle for Scott who can play in the 10 as well as deeper.

We were linked with Mazroui in the week who is a RB for Bayern currently not getting a kick.

And then there's the young Moroccan winger we were linked with too.

I think the striker position is the most important. If, and it is a massive if, Sasa and Silva are any good/ want to stay then we could look to give them a go. If not we need to go and get En Nesyri imo

Moutinho played a more familiar role as we matched Spurs up to their 3-4-3.

He didn't play as a 10.
He was more advanced than many of his appearances and pressing much more than yesterday but I agree he wasn’t a 10.

Fwiw I don't think it is, he goes up in the air, his hands are in a natural position for jumping and he he clearly isn't meaning to handle the ball. It would have been given when VAR first came in, but common sense seems to have prevailed more recently on that type of handball. Similar to the Maguire one not given last week

His arm is outstretched at a right angle? How is that natural?

As for intent, who ever "intends" to handle the ball unless it's a Suarez v Ghana situation?

He's elbowed the ball away because he's misjudged its flight. Dozens of these have been given this season.

Just no.

Left footed CB not particularly great on the ball and never played RB.
Well that helps me. I genuinely was impressed with him at left back and how good he was with his left peg as I thought he was right footed haha!

Strange isn’t it, you get right footed left backs but not left footed right backs

Well that helps me. I genuinely was impressed with him at left back and how good he was with his left peg as I thought he was right footed haha!

Strange isn’t it, you get right footed left backs but not left footed right backs
20pc of the population are left footed so broadly there's no need for left footers to play on the right, but there is the opposite way

20pc of the population are left footed so there's no need for left footers to play on the right, but there is the opposite way
No I get that, logically that makes sense.

I’m not advocating toti to play right back, but just a thought there must be a left footed right back somewhere

I know its an overly simplistic view but you'd expect Premier league players to be comfortable on either foot.
There’s a difference with being comfortable and better. KDB has a very good left foot (better than a lot of players dominant) but he’s never going to choose to use that one if he has a choice. He is going to be able to do any action better with his right.

I know its an overly simplistic view but you'd expect Premier league players to be comfortable on either foot.
Taken from the quote book of my father that . ‘I was right footed but played left back for county, don’t see how professionals can’t do that’

Bit of a different level I think!

I don't think we need to be that drastic.

Cundle was involved in 2 of the Swans goals yesterday and is only 20. A good preseason with Lop will do him the world of good. If not we could always do some deal with Brizzle for Scott who can play in the 10 as well as deeper.

We were linked with Mazroui in the week who is a RB for Bayern currently not getting a kick.

And then there's the young Moroccan winger we were linked with too.

I think the striker position is the most important. If, and it is a massive if, Sasa and Silva are any good/ want to stay then we could look to give them a go. If not we need to go and get En Nesyri imo

Alex Scott would be perfect, really hope we can pull that one off. Might end up being an expensive one though, he's not quite the unknown quantity that he was when we were first linked with him.

Mazraoui was amazing for Ajax, that'd be a really impressive signing if we signed him. Not sure how he's gotten on at Bayern.

I think you know my feelings on Silva. Of his 4 goals so far at PSV, 1 has come against the 18th placed team, 1 against the 17th placed team and 1 against the 16th, his goal often coming late on in matches which finished 6-0, 4-0 & 5-2. Anderlecht fans after initially loving him absolutely hated him by the end and as far as I can tell, despite his repeated pleas in the press to stay there next season, PSV fans are completely ambivalent towards him.

Sasa, if we ever see him again, is an interesting one. He's got a lot of technical ability and would obviously be a big presence up top so I can see him linking really well with Cunha & Sarabia. Not sure what he's like out of possession though, we know Julen prefers players who can press high.

En-Nesyri is a brilliant player, proper all round striker.

I'd like to get Charly Alcaraz from Saints, we were linked with him previously, he's taken well to the Premier League and Saints have been playing him in a front 2 under Selles.

His arm is outstretched at a right angle? How is that natural?

As for intent, who ever "intends" to handle the ball unless it's a Suarez v Ghana situation?

He's elbowed the ball away because he's misjudged its flight. Dozens of these have been given this season.
IIRC, "intent" isn't a consideration? If so, surely Sa's foul on Vardy wouldn't have been given?

The more you look at it, the more ridiculous it is from Sa.

FuV_e2UX0AwUZ2u

Get back in goal you fool.

Back