• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Let's talk about Nuno....

If he'd left at the end of last season I'd have been absolutely gutted but if he left now I'd be extremely disappointed but somehow it wouldn't feel like the end of the world. It's not like we'll go down the Zenga or Lambert route again and a little bit of me thinks that maybe a manger with a little more flair in his DNA could get more out of the players we have.

Gattuso has a horrible record in management!

Gattuso as a player were all about guts and fighting spirit, just what we needs..but, is he any good at tactics and such?

Is Gattuso after a longer contract/more money at Napoli? Seems standard behaviour for Mendes managerial clients to speculate their futures in the press when a new contract is due... see Arsenal and Nuno.

Is Gattuso after a longer contract/more money at Napoli? Seems standard behaviour for Mendes managerial clients to speculate their futures in the press when a new contract is due... see Arsenal and Nuno.
This...

I can absolutely see Nuno going at the end of this season - wouldn't surprise me one jot.

But not Gattuso. Fine if we're winding back the clock and he's alongside Neves. But not in the dugout

Unless he sorts out the appalling pattern of dreadful first half performances, I am now ambivalent as to whether he stays or goes. I love him, and he's been the best Wolves manager in my lifetime, but this pattern is awful and it simply has to be down to him.

If he can show some glimmer of hope that he can change it, then I'd love him to stay, but if it remains same shit different day, then I think we need to look elsewhere and let him leave with love still in our hearts.

I think you’re all being disingenuous to him. Started four at the back with Boly and Podence in key positions but then lost them, on top of missing the leagues most complete striker. Needs must regarding recent weeks and performances albeit not great has seen us with a decent run of results.
We need to be careful what we wish for as he’ll always keep us up with pragmatic football whereas an alternative.....
Judge him when he has a nearly full compliment of options.

Unless he sorts out the appalling pattern of dreadful first half performances, I am now ambivalent as to whether he stays or goes. I love him, and he's been the best Wolves manager in my lifetime, but this pattern is awful and it simply has to be down to him.

If he can show some glimmer of hope that he can change it, then I'd love him to stay, but if it remains same shit different day, then I think we need to look elsewhere and let him leave with love still in our hearts.
Can't see how it's Nuno's fault the players can't string 2 passes together without either giving it away, or letting it go for a throw in/goal kick. Tactically we have never been a gung ho team, and this season injuries/no fans/losses have made him even more defensively minded.
You cannot get rid of a manager based on this season when we are not in any danger of relegation. If you would then Klopp, Hasenhuttel, Arteta, Mourinho would all be in the same frame too.
Our first half fuck ups are not on Nuno.

Can't see how it's Nuno's fault the players can't string 2 passes together without either giving it away, or letting it go for a throw in/goal kick. Tactically we have never been a gung ho team, and this season injuries/no fans/losses have made him even more defensively minded.
You cannot get rid of a manager based on this season when we are not in any danger of relegation. If you would then Klopp, Hasenhuttel, Arteta, Mourinho would all be in the same frame too.
Our first half fuck ups are not on Nuno.
I’m not so sure - is it just a crazy coincidence that we are so negative in the first half of the vast, vast majority of our games?

I get your point that the players are not doing the basics right all too often, but the way we set about playing, in every game for at least the last 2 seasons, in just about every 1st half, is not solely down to players making errors. It is a tactical gameplan, and quite honestly I think it is a fucking shit plan. That is down to Nuno, it has to be.

I get your point that the players are not doing the basics right all too often, but the way we set about playing, in every game for at least the last 2 seasons, in just about every 1st half, is not solely down to players making errors. It is a tactical gameplan, and quite honestly I think it is a fucking shit plan. That is down to Nuno, it has to be.
If it was tactical then we would be shit in the second half too. We played 3-4-3 in the whole game. No way you could even practice losing the ball that badly for 45 mins. Even Coady couldn't explain why they are so garbage in the first 45 mins, but admitted they need to stop it.
Nuno standing on the sidelines every first half fuming tells me they are not doing what he asked them to do.

I’m not so sure - is it just a crazy coincidence that we are so negative in the first half of the vast, vast majority of our games?
Didn't think we were that negative in the first half, we just continuously kept giving them the ball back, we just couldn't get anything going. We passed it better second half (not amazingly though) and forced them back and created a few chances.

Plenty of mitigation as to why things aren’t at there best right now, the board know that to.
Not a lot Nuno can do about basic errors and the inability to pass a ball ten yards.
At the very least I’d give him the chance after a break and some normality’s back in the game.

so tired of seeing blame put on the players

we have seen these players do better. we were in europe last season. we were sniffing the relegation zone a few weeks ago.

there is a trend of performance that has persisted before, and during, this season.

I don't understand the hand waving excusing nuno from all of this. he is the coach. if players can't string two passes together, players which have demonstrated themselves as being good, it perhaps shows that he is incapable of leading the team or has lost the directive for the season. either way is a coaching failure. that people can consistently dismiss poor performance as individual errors, versus viewing it in a more systemic manner, is mind boggling to me.

I don't want to see nuno go any more than anyone else. but it's not some incomprehensible suggestion to say he might have hit a wall.

Back