• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Let's talk about Nuno....

I think it’s all gone very stale for him. I think he is shot mentally. I don’t think he will be at the club this time next year. Pains me to say it.

I’m 100% behind Nuno.

He‘s missing his family during the pandemic and that would affect anyone.
Raul‘s absence has hit the team very hard this year and others haven’t stepped up like we’d hoped.
the whole team has been generally poor but I still back him to refresh the team, maybe go back to three at the back and galvanise the club to do better next year.

One dodgy season in the middle of a global pandemic where tens of thousands have died, isolated from his family, multiple injuries to key players some of which were long term, a transition that was derailed by said injuries while having to throw in players obviously bought for the future, no fans to give the team their second wind and all on the back of no real break or pre-season following a mammoth campaign last time out and some just can’t help but treat Nuno like he’s the love child of Hoddle and Saunders.

Mitigating circumstances and all that, I swear some people just have to be the most offended, the most disgusted when things aren’t going well.

We aren’t going down, never were, and I think everyone just wants the season over. Let Nuno see his family, let the whole club have a rest and see what happens next season. He didn’t get us seventh twice by being shit and lucky but I suppose that doesn’t fit some people’s ‘I’m only happy when it rains’ mindset. Nuno’s the man for me and personally I hope when things are back to normal he shoves all the moaning back down the miserable, whinging throats.

The performances are linked to to the others though, so he still gets my full support, I expect some bouts of defensive play, however when you can no longer counter attack, opposition no longer need to worry about that, which is why I feel we end up under such sustained pressure.

The whole system has been undone, and the lack of a squad means there is no real options. It feels a bit like when people used to say we needed to try not playing Karl Henry as he contributed nothing, then we let in 10 goals when he was suspended.

Last edited:
This was supposed to be the transition season. The evolution season. That has not happened. We have had to go back to boring basics to scrape results. That cannot be solely down to injuries. Every team loses star players that’s why you have squad depth. We chose or rather Nuno chooses to keep a small nucleus of about 15 players he trusts and picks them all the time they are available. It’s great for consistency but awful got competition within the squad. His reliance on Patricio, Coady Moutinho and Dendonker this season has been poor. All have dipped their form significantly. Players like Vitinha , Otasowie, Corbeneau Marques and Campana must wonder what they have to do to get a game. Even Sondergaard should have had a game to be fair. All that is on Nuno and he will have to change some of his principles if we are to improve next season. The recruitment needs to improve too. We basically swapped Jota and Doherty got 58m and waved goodbye to 20 goals, yet spent 70 m on Fabio and Semedo. Neither look good value. We overpaid about 15 m on both. That’s on Nuno. He says he has final say.
He has been fantastic but he has royally fucked up at times this season. I have no problem backing him if he uses this as a huge learning curve and evidence quickly appears that he is changing attitudes and reliance’s. We will know by September with who goes and who stays in the squad. He has earns the chance to get it right but has this window only to play with. If we are playing like this with the same style and negativity come next season he won’t last past Xmas as we won’t be as fortunate with our sneaky wins next season I fear.

One dodgy season in the middle of a global pandemic where tens of thousands have died, isolated from his family, multiple injuries to key players some of which were long term, a transition that was derailed by said injuries while having to throw in players obviously bought for the future, no fans to give the team their second wind and all on the back of no real break or pre-season following a mammoth campaign last time out and some just can’t help but treat Nuno like he’s the love child of Hoddle and Saunders.

Mitigating circumstances and all that, I swear some people just have to be the most offended, the most disgusted when things aren’t going well.

We aren’t going down, never were, and I think everyone just wants the season over. Let Nuno see his family, let the whole club have a rest and see what happens next season. He didn’t get us seventh twice by being shit and lucky but I suppose that doesn’t fit some people’s ‘I’m only happy when it rains’ mindset. Nuno’s the man for me and personally I hope when things are back to normal he shoves all the moaning back down the miserable, whinging throats.
In case you haven’t noticed Spurs Chelsea and Arsenal sacked their managers this season and all have done a lot better than us this season.
i think that we have every right to winge about how poor we have played overall this season. We were hardly doing wonders before Rauls injury. I can’t blame it all on a lack of pre season and injuries. Every team had that and some had worse. Man United sit second and they have Ole tax weighing them down! I want Nuno to succeed but yo fo that he needs to learn from his failings this season.

This was supposed to be the transition season. The evolution season. That has not happened. We have had to go back to boring basics to scrape results. That cannot be solely down to injuries. Every team loses star players that’s why you have squad depth. We chose or rather Nuno chooses to keep a small nucleus of about 15 players he trusts and picks them all the time they are available. It’s great for consistency but awful got competition within the squad. His reliance on Patricio, Coady Moutinho and Dendonker this season has been poor. All have dipped their form significantly. Players like Vitinha , Otasowie, Corbeneau Marques and Campana must wonder what they have to do to get a game. Even Sondergaard should have had a game to be fair. All that is on Nuno and he will have to change some of his principles if we are to improve next season. The recruitment needs to improve too. We basically swapped Jota and Doherty got 58m and waved goodbye to 20 goals, yet spent 70 m on Fabio and Semedo. Neither look good value. We overpaid about 15 m on both. That’s on Nuno. He says he has final say.
He has been fantastic but he has royally fucked up at times this season. I have no problem backing him if he uses this as a huge learning curve and evidence quickly appears that he is changing attitudes and reliance’s. We will know by September with who goes and who stays in the squad. He has earns the chance to get it right but has this window only to play with. If we are playing like this with the same style and negativity come next season he won’t last past Xmas as we won’t be as fortunate with our sneaky wins next season I fear.
So tactical mistakes are down to Nuno but tactical victories, eg totally nullifying a Leeds team that has scored plenty against the big boys, TWICE, is just down to luck?
Dismiss the injuries all you like but we have suffered, for the first season under Nuno, a lot of major losses of players at key times and to key players.
We have failed to "transition" because of those injuries, that and you are still banging on about Semedo not being "value" despite him having clearly settled into the club and putting in some very good displays.
As for the "kids" you listed getting game time, I sort of agree but they have to earn it in training, however Nuno needs to trust them too

In case you haven’t noticed Spurs Chelsea and Arsenal sacked their managers this season and all have done a lot better than us this season.
i think that we have every right to winge about how poor we have played overall this season. We were hardly doing wonders before Rauls injury. I can’t blame it all on a lack of pre season and injuries. Every team had that and some had worse. Man United sit second and they have Ole tax weighing them down! I want Nuno to succeed but yo fo that he needs to learn from his failings this season.
Have Arsenal done 'a lot better' than us this season? They have massive resources, way more than us, and they sit a whole 5 points in front of us - when we all recognise it hasn't been a good season for us.

I wouldn't say Spurs have had that much of a better season comparatively, aside from a cup final that they didn't bother turning up for yesterday

You really think Spurs and Arsenal have done a lot better than us? I'd have said they've been much the same, and thats with Spurs having the best front 2 in the league. Its been a tough season for us, with a few horrendous performances/results for lots of different reasons but we're gunna finish mid table, probably about where most would expect us to finish. We're a middle of the road premier league club with middle of the road finances, we've over achieved in the our first 2 seasons and this has led to unrealistic expectations.
I'm happy to see how we get on at the beginning of next season and then if we're are still regressing then we will have to make some difficult decisions.

I’m 100% behind Nuno.

He‘s missing his family during the pandemic and that would affect anyone.
Raul‘s absence has hit the team very hard this year and others haven’t stepped up like we’d hoped.
the whole team has been generally poor but I still back him to refresh the team, maybe go back to three at the back and galvanise the club to do better next year.

I'm not without empathy, but this gets repeated so often... but it's not like he's a single mum living in a sink estate. He's a highly paid elite professional. He's supposed to refresh, galvanise and organise during the season, not just during pre-season.

He can't just be a genius when it goes well and then went things go a bit sour it's the players, homesickness or TWF moaners who are to blame. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. We don't have to hound him out and say this is the end, but some of the veneration makes me a bit queasy. He ain't Mother Theresa.

It's a well-trodden path in a manager's life-cycle tbf. First, those that are unhappy at performance levels are entitled/not real fans; then they're reveling in it; and then it's actually somehow their fault.

There have been plenty of mitigating factors, absolutely. But there are also failings within those.

"Transition season"

This one actually puzzles me, because whilst there's been plenty of evidence that we're moving away from something, there's been precious little that we're moving toward something else, particularly with the ball. But that's by the by - if we accept that this is a transition season, then I've got to say that attempting to do that with 15 knackered players, a 2-week pre-season, and only one 1st team signing (despite losing two from from an already small squad) was frankly fucking brain dead.

"injuries have killed us"

Well, yes, and Raul's is a freak accident. Jonny, Podence, Boly and Neto are all important players that have missed spells injured - but we've spent two years sucking the cocks of our sports scientists because we don't get injuries; I was slaughtered for saying it was lucky, and that we couldn't rely on it. Now we're getting them, we're unlucky, apparently. We can't have it both ways.

"It's a pandemic"

It's a pandemic in West Ham too, no? There are no fans anywhere?

We haven't failed in transition because of injuries or the pandemic; we've failed because of the coaching and the recruitment, ultimately. We're left with a group of players that can't play how they used to play, and can't play how they're going to play, and we're just resorting to the oldest/most experienced eleven available, with little-to-no identifiable tactical plan. Recruitment has been absolute dogshit, for years. In the last 5 windows, there's only Neto that I wouldn't return for a refund. Yeah, Semedo's certainly improving, but still nowhere near a £30m right back ffs.

We're a mess, and we either need loads of players to change, or we need fresh ideas from new coaching staff. I think what it comes down to is that the manager and most of the players were really, really good at the low-block, counter attacking style - but only a handful are capable of changing, and tbh I don't think Nuno is one of them. We've wasted a season, and we'll probably end up wasting another one next year too. At the end of the day, I support Wolves, not Nuno FC - if he can't start to get a tune out of the tools he's got at his disposal - which he's definitely not - then that's something that only ever ends one way.

I want Nuno to succeed, at my age I've never had it so good as a Wolves fan, even this season we've outperformed every other PL season under Jones & McCarthy. As we should do relative to resources.

I do question though that before injuries it was decided a transition was appropriate, when we were coming off a 58 game season with no pre-season.

Doc and Coady have both told anybody who'd listen the importance of that first pre-season when they made the switch.

Of course, there are some pro's to doing it, no fans meant ropey performances aren't seized upon and the toxicity is kept to social media (especially for the younger players)

That said, I'm just not sure Nuno escapes some (measured) criticism

Back