• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2023/24

I never saw him choose to go down rather than score a simple goal whilst at Wolves, and neither did you or Tony.
He dived for penalties on numerous occasions, often with less contact than tonight - He was booked for it on more than one. The ball was running away from him with 2 Newcastle players covering. He may have scored, but it wasn't a simple tap in. It's embarrassing, but so is pretending it's anything new.

Not as blatant as that, but there's no denying he didn't look for free kicks and penalties if the opportunity presented itself.
Neither Squeek or I are arguing that though.

No one is saying he didn't dive at Wolves, we didn't witness anything like that though and for some reason Tony and Alan are disputing that.

. The ball was running away from him with 2 Newcastle players covering.
Lol.

Just look at that photo.

Love to know how you square away that the ball is running away from Jota when it's less than a metre away from him, yet also say that the 2 Newcastle players are covering when they're much, much further away :ROFLMAO:

1000034850.jpg

Last edited:
Not as blatant as that, but there's no denying he didn't look for free kicks and penalties if the opportunity presented itself. It was one of the only annoying traits about him. Hwang has it to a lesser extent, and Podence had it more than most. One of the reasons I was glad to see the back of him.

It isn't something I've seen out of Cunha though. He seems to generally try to ride challenges and put the burners on to escape from the defender.
You can add Neto to the list. I think over the last few years it's damaged rather than helped us, refs know we have form and have not given us decisions which were fouls because of it.

Neither Squeek or I are arguing that though.

No one is saying he didn't dive at Wolves, we didn't witness anything like that though and for some reason Tony and Alan are disputing that.
No, I'm calling out the hypocrisy of being offended, when a dive is a dive and he's being doing it since he came to England

The ball was running away from him with 2 Newcastle players covering.
Totally disagree with that. It was easily within reach and he was totally alone with an empty net. It was easier to stay on his feet and score than it was to throw himself to the ground.

No, I'm calling out the hypocrisy
But there isn't hypocrisy.

I'll say it again.

No one is saying he didn't dive at Wolves, they're saying that they never saw him choose to dive over scoring a goal, and that's exactly what he's done tonight as per that photo shows, Shearer, Ian Wright and thousands of others have noted.

Totally disagree with that. It was easily within reach and he was totally alone with an empty net. It was easier to stay on his feet and score than it was to throw himself to the ground.
100%. When blokes like Shearer and Wright call you out on it, there may just be something in it.
My opinion, he could have got the ball and still had plenty of time to stick it in the net. The photo shows the ball wasn't that far away from him when he decided to go down.

But there isn't hypocrisy.

I'll say it again.

No one is saying he didn't dive at Wolves, they're saying that they never saw him choose to dive over scoring a goal, and that's exactly what he's done tonight as per that photo shows, Shearer, Ian Wright and thousands of others have noted.
Of course it is, you are saying there's times when diving is acceptable and when it isn't. You've chosen to see this as beyond the pale. Your still also doesn't take into account the speed the ball was travelling at. No doubt he could have still scored, but it wasn't a tap in

At this point if you're arguing he couldn't have got to that then you're arguing for the sake of arguing. He 100% could have got to it and had a tap in. 100 times out of a hundred. I fail to understand how that isn't completely accepted. I could have got to it. And I'm 56 with dodgy knees and a raging chest infection and I'd have had a tap in.

The photo proves nothing. The ball was travelling faster than he could run because his touch was poor, therefore running away from him and away from goal.

It was the slightest contact but it's on the ref not to give it. I don't think VAR overturns it if it isn't given.

This
Of course it is, you are saying there's times when diving is acceptable and when it isn't. You've chosen to see this as beyond the pale. Your still also doesn't take into account the speed the ball was travelling at. No doubt he could have still scored, but it wasn't a tap in
doesn't say that
At this point if you're arguing he couldn't have got to rlthat then you're arguing for the sake of arguing. He 100% could have got to it and had a tap in. 100 times out of a hundred. I fail to understand how that isn't completely accepted. I could have got to it. And I'm 56 with dodgy knees and a raging chest infection and I'd have had a tap in.

At this point if you're arguing he couldn't have got to rlthat then you're arguing for the sake of arguing. He 100% could have got to it and had a tap in. 100 times out of a hundred. I fail to understand how that isn't completely accepted. I could have got to it. And I'm 56 with dodgy knees and a raging chest infection and I'd have had a tap in.
You couldn't have seen it live if you think that.

He really couldn't have gotten to it, his touch was that bad.

You couldn't have seen it live if you think that.

He really couldn't have gotten to it, his touch was that bad.
Absolute nonsense, I saw it live and my immediate reaction was that he could have stayed on his feet and scored it wasn't really running away from him, and there was enough space for him to recover and tap it in 100%.

Absolute nonsense, I saw it live and my immediate reaction was that he could have stayed on his feet and scored it wasn't really running away from him, and there was enough space for him to recover and tap it in 100%.
I think you need to watch it again when you're well.

I'll just point out that a still image doesn't capture the pace of the ball.

It's a shameful dive regardless.

He 100% scores if he stays on his feet, his touch wasn’t that bad at all but he’s felt the slight touch and then his natural instinct is to go down.

On the pace of the ball, the fact that the 2 recovering defenders get back on the line and the ball is still 2 yards from going out tells you he didn’t overhit the touch.

I'll bow out, and not gonna argue over it it isn't worth it and you're obviously never wrong.
I think the opinions of Shearer and Wright carry a bit more weight. They seem to agree with you that he could have reached it and scored. I also agree with you for what little it matters.

Okay, let's accept he's getting to it.

Does that make it better or worse?

Back