• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City v Wolves Build up - Tuesday 8pm, BT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuno Espirito Santo has hailed the work ethic of goalless striker Willian Jose
I cracked up at this.

“work ethic”, ffs

Don’t think he doesn’t try, he’s just very immobile. I also don’t think he’s a bad player, we’re just not playing to his strengths.

He does make the wrong runs though. Whether that’s because he’s incapable, not on the same wavelength as his teammates or language issues (they’re all Portuguese anyway lol etc.) I don’t know.

He’s doing a job though, in protecting Fabio and being an actual adult. Plus results improving have coincided with his arrival. Could be purely coincidence though.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it is coincidence. Him standing still isn't scaring teams into thinking "Christ, we'd best not beat Wolves today".

We've defended better since the West Brom game is what's happened. Not much else has changed.

He is absolutely dreadful, I can't even be bothered dressing it up. A loan signing up there with Mike Small and Yannick Sagbo. Mike Small scored too, albeit with his genitalia.

He started and finished the move that led to the Luiz red and pen. We’d have definitely lost that game without it, and Fabio wouldn’t have fine that. Who knows what would have happened then... the run could have continued.

Newcastle was the only bad game he’s had. He’s been OK in all the others and had been certainly holding the ball up better than Fabio. Better than 0/10 for hold up/losing the ball is a low bar yes, but he’s been better and it’s probably made some difference. Fabio has actually looked much better coming on too.

Yeah Fabio has looked bright coming on, think it suits him better at the moment. Needs to be getting half an hour though rather than 5/10 minutes, he has an excellent knack of getting chances in very little time on the pitch.

Pretty sure it is coincidence. Him standing still isn't scaring teams into thinking "Christ, we'd best not beat Wolves today".

We've defended better since the West Brom game is what's happened. Not much else has changed.

He is absolutely dreadful, I can't even be bothered dressing it up. A loan signing up there with Mike Small and Yannick Sagbo. Mike Small scored too, albeit with his genitalia.
This is starting to get silly Dan. He really isn't that bad,

He offers physical presence, hold up play and aerial threat with his back to goal. Neto and Adama look a world better than they did with Fabio up top, it's Jose's goal scoring and runs that aren't there and that's where he isn't on the same wavelength which isn't great for a forward. He certainly isn't on a par with the two players you've mentioned that's just rubbish.

We won't sign him, I agree with Dan on that, but I don't think he's total rubbish. Also think it's unfair to say he isn't trying, personally.

As Punts said, he has definitely improved us an account of being an actual man and not an 18 year old kid. It's given Fabio a bit of a breather and we can give him the minutes he needs now without breaking the poor kid. It helps us in the long run I think.

I'd like to Silva playing with inverted wingers, I don't think he'd look as isolated as before. But this probably isn't the match for it

I'd like to Silva playing with inverted wingers, I don't think he'd look as isolated as before. But this probably isn't the match for it
Hopefully we play our inverted wingers as actually inverted wingers I.e. more inside, than the rubbish we started with at Newcastle.

Playing Neto that far wide was woeful and I hope it’s the last time I see it.

Hopefully we play our inverted wingers as actually inverted wingers I.e. more inside, than the rubbish we started with at Newcastle.

Playing Neto that far wide was woeful and I hope it’s the last time I see it.
Good point, inverted inside forwards is probably a better description

When he pulls off defenders and we get it into his feet WJ looks like a decent footballer, he gets hold of it and either knocks it off or links play quite well. Trouble is if he has to battle for it including in the air he really doesn't want to know and his runs off the ball since that Arsenal one for the penalty are atrocious. He seems to run where he knows the ball can't go which is quite strange including for the Neves goal, i'd like to give him some credit for creating the space behind him but i can't be sure that's why he made the movement.

However in the grand scheme of things it's taken the pressure off Fabio and we're doing the square root of fuck all this season anyway so Fabio can develop with the little spells that he needs and we can get to the end of the season and start again. Would still like to see Nuno adapt in the last few games after this one as the way to beat Man City is to actually defend deep, force crosses and counter at pace which we know we can do if the players get it right on the day.

Whilst I would accept that Jose has taken a bit of pressure off Fabio the latter needs more than 10 mins at the end of the game.

We certainly shouldn't be signing Jose at the season end (especially if Raul reappears) but Fabio we have bought and we need him to learn - won't do that with limited cameos.

Apart from tomorrow & possibly one or two other games would rather start him & have Jose doing the cameos - he's young, raw & has much to learn plus needing a lttle more muscle on him, but the instinct seems to be there

Eurgh. I had forgotten that this was tonight. Not looking forward to it at all.

Just get through it with no injuries/suspensions please.

Eurgh. I had forgotten that this was tonight. Not looking forward to it at all.

Just get through it with no injuries/suspensions please.
Basically where I am at, with the way we have played this season!

47 years today since we did them in the League Cup final. It's written in the stars, ya nor.

Or not. 0-3.

We had the VHS tape as kids, Forest was on the same cassette.

What with my Granda telling me all about Billy Wright every week, I never stood a bloody chance, did I.

sad bastard that I am, I still watch this on youtube a couple of times per year
Nah, I'm the same. I watch as much of the old stuff as I can, loved John Richards, my first childhood hero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back