• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd (H) 31/12: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once we’ve signed a centre back I think his plan will be to be flexible between playing a back 3/4. I wouldn’t be starting Toti against United anyway.

Kilman is a bigger worry for me than Collins too. I think because Collins looks less co-ordinated he’s easier to identify but Kilman is equally lacking in confidence but also gone right into his shell.

I agree with whoever it was that said that I fancied our chances against them over the last few seasons but they look a different kettle of fish now. Rashford in particular looks like he's back to his best.

Not sure playing 3 centre backs you don't trust is an upgrade on playing 2 you don't trust.
Yep, much better playing a midfield and forward line to break up the supply than relying on 3 players who we know can't stop them.

I think the difference is that we'd trust ourselves to be able to defend against Everton more than man United. So bringing them onto us and then hitting them on the break is a much better strategy Vs Everton than it would be Vs man United.

Giving man United time to play will only end up with them hurting us. I think a much better way of playing is to try to limit the time they have on the ball. Naturally we'll have to fall into a low block more often than not but we shouldn't be making it easy for them.

I'd go, hopefully those 6 mids / forwards have enough to be able to press a lot. I was toying with Hwang central but that just doesn't work.

Sa
Semedo Collins Kilman RAN
Bouba T Neves Nunes
Podence Raul / Costa Hwang

I'll be interested to see how JL approaches this one. I guess the pragmatic thing with our present squad would be to treat it like an away game and hope to nick a point or three, but I hope he'll manage to come up with something more inventive. I never bet against us, but at around evens for the win Utd look disturbingly good value. They look to have far too much for us on present form. (Then again, I couldn't see us winning at Everton either.) The win would be such a big 3 points that this feels more like a cup game than a league fixture. Perhaps the plucky underdog spirit might get us over the line until the window opens, though I'd have been more hopeful of that if we still had Coady here. As someone else mentioned, our bomb-scare defence urgently requires an experienced onfield organiser.

With the team turning things around ever so slightly (I mean, it’s only two wins), building a bit of confidence and the ‘new manager bounce’ that Lopetegui is giving the fans I think we’ll give United a good game. Our record against them since promotion hasn’t been too bad at all.

With the team turning things around ever so slightly (I mean, it’s only two wins), building a bit of confidence and the ‘new manager bounce’ that Lopetegui is giving the fans I think we’ll give United a good game. Our record against them since promotion hasn’t been too bad at all.
The problem is Everton being so rubbish papered over a lot of cracks. The majority of our possession resulted in some very sloppy play from us. We often gave them the ball back with poor touches or passes. Another team would have punished us and gone on to win 2 or 3 nil.

Reactions: jlo
We don’t need a 10 if the forwards are closer to each other in the middle, but we do if they don’t get close as seems to be the case.

Play RAN and, err someone at RB, to give width then 3 CMs works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back