• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd (H) 31/12: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he did :)

Just he doesn't have to, and he shouldn't here.
I wonder if that's why we are linked to these midfielders who can play further forward.

Scott and Alcaraz like to carry the ball forwards with Alcaraz having a good passing range and Scott liking a dip at goal.

Seems we're after an Odegaard type.

As long as it's not Nunes in the 10 role.
I watched the game back yesterday and one of the things that put my mind at ease was how he used Nunes.

If Boubacar plays, I can see him being the one who presses out of possession like Joao was generally asked to. In possession there was a bit more freedom anyway.

Nunes needs to play tomorrow, he’s been superb when he has come on in the last 2 games.

Think the problem with midfield is balance more so than any one individual, they're all a bit samey in some respects and it often leads to a very flat shape. They all prefer to come deep to get the ball, which creates the horseshoe of doom, rather than staying further up and trusting the defence to deliver that first step up the pitch. None of them seem to particularly favour running up to or beyond the forward line either which can often lead to the forwards looking isolated or the ball getting trapped down the channels as there is no pass inside.

Nunes and Traore do at least look more fond of carrying the ball forwards but that's only really useful if the gap is open enough to provide those spaces. if the other team sitting off and being compact then you'll be running into a wall more often than not.

I can see why they could be looking for more midfield options in the window, bring in a different type of player to create a better balance. Someone happier to sit ahead of the ball and receive the ball in tight spaces, that could a decent balance with one of Traore/Nunes next to Neves looking to provide some legs from deeper too. Would need better movement through the team too though, no point knocking into players in tight spaces unless they have runners to pop it off too quickly or they'll just get smothered.

I know its very early days and I'm probably getting over excited but it feels a bit like when Nuno was here, I don't expect to win every game but I do feel we've always got a chance and have faith in our leader that there is a sensible, cohesive plan for each game.

I know its very early days and I'm probably getting over excited but it feels a bit like when Nuno was here, I don't expect to win every game but I do feel we've always got a chance and have faith in our leader that there is a sensible, cohesive plan for each game.
I agree. Definitely has that aura and unlike the previous coach, there’s a plan. Think this game comes a bit too early without the signings he wants for us to get anything tomorrow though. Hope I’m wrong!

There's definitely an improvement in attitude on the pitch, and decision making from the bench. But let's be realistic, we still look very shoddy in possession and vulnerable in defence. That's going to taken a bit longer on the training ground to sort out.

There's definitely an improvement in attitude on the pitch, and decision making from the bench. But let's be realistic, we still look very shoddy in possession and vulnerable in defence. That's going to taken a bit longer on the training ground to sort out.
Oh I agree, but it feels to me like the basis is there now, never felt that way under Lage.

The legs of traore and nunes will be important tomorrow. Hopefully traore can get at eriksen and stop him dictating

I think Lopetegui has an aura of authority about him and have no doubt results will improve but he is starting in the PL not the Championship and hasn’t had the opportunity to bring any players in yet. Man Utd have been on a good run so I’m hoping for rather than expecting a result.

Missed BHA and Arsenal so feels like bloody ages since I've been to a game. Sat in New St and this is the most excited I've been for a game in about a year (Cheers Bruno, twat)

Think today hinges on stopping their midfield, that for me means certainly no Hodge, and sadly no Joao who it seems to me is now having 'moments' like the assist last week rather than playing well for prolonged periods of a game.

Like Costa he should be used sparingly rather than from the off every single week. I'd be played Neves, Nunes and Bouba as a midfield 3, nobody as a 10.

Not going to make this one, Helen is coming up with the kids and will be here around 13:00 so I have to be here. Really will miss being there for this one, I know I can catch it in the tele but it’s not the same.

It’ll be a tough game and I’m hoping we get something out of it, I’d definitely take a point at the moment. Heart says a draw, head says a loss.

Relatively happy with that team, bench looks good too.
Yes, it’s nice we have ‘options’ off the bench for a change and not just kids.

Fairly happy with the team, would’ve like to have seen both traores but adamas Adama and bouba just coming back from injury.

Wanted Bouba in but don’t know where he is in terms of match fitness and he’s a great option to bring off the bench around an hour in if the games tight.

Looking at their starting 11, we can definitely get at them, but I worry about us defensively. Let’s not forget Everton sliced us open a few times and these lot are much better opposition. Pleased Rashford isn’t starting.

I suspect this might be the last start for Costa in a while.

Last edited:
Surprised Costa is in ahead of Jimenez given he did the full 90 last time out, possibly says a bit about what the new manager thinks about the two of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back