• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Manager Hunt 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so much being positive, just interested in what our new manager is like, no point just banging "waaah, waaah, waaah" on the keyboard relentlessly.
Yeah I agree, no point barking at the moon but its still a bit too raw for me yet.

Not so much being positive, just interested in what our new manager is like, no point just banging "waaah, waaah, waaah" on the keyboard relentlessly.

The point I've been trying to make is that it's a complete unknown. 8 months with a side that had just been battered 9-0 is not enough time for someone on the outside to evaluate his qualities.

He played a 4231 fast counter attacking style with Bournemouth. They were probably a bit more direct, however that tended to play to the strength of their better players (Solanke & Billing). They weren't a great watch but we're well drilled and did score some decent goals on the break.

If he comes in and sets us up the same, I'll be right up there with a pitchfork but I'm more inclined to believe he set up that way to get the best of the limited side he had. That's just common sense, why would you try and play tiki taka with the players he had?

He might well be fucking appalling and we lose all of the first 10 or he could be a revelation and get us playing our best football since Nuno's 3rd season. I have no idea, I'll judge him on what he does here because I don't trust the limited available information about him.

On the other forum you're not allowed to call people Welsh anymore. I realize it's a bit more relaxed around here but it's still quite shocking to see the term actually being used.
You can call me Welsh as much as you like. Follow it with cunt or something like that and we might fall out though (accurate as you probably would be!)

I don’t really give a shit about being the butt of jokes as long as they are as low as mine but Welsh as a perjorative is basically a bit naughty. I would say racist but it sets Glasgo off into Welsh isn’t a race rabbit holes and nobody got time for that shit.

The point I've been trying to make is that it's a complete unknown. 8 months with a side that had just been battered 9-0 is not enough time for someone on the outside to evaluate his qualities.

He played a 4231 fast counter attacking style with Bournemouth. They were probably a bit more direct, however that tended to play to the strength of their better players (Solanke & Billing). They weren't a great watch but we're well drilled and did score some decent goals on the break.

If he comes in and sets us up the same, I'll be right up there with a pitchfork but I'm more inclined to believe he set up that way to get the best of the limited side he had. That's just common sense, why would you try and play tiki taka with the players he had?

He might well be fucking appalling and we lose all of the first 10 or he could be a revelation and get us playing our best football since Nuno's 3rd season. I have no idea, I'll judge him on what he does here because I don't trust the limited available information about him.

We should just play the U-23s against Utd, maybe they'll all be revelations too

As I mentioned on the other thread, Ryan Mason is a young English coach who wants to be a manager and has taken charge of some PL games recently. He'd be a better bet.

There are better unemployed managers - from the seasoned (Favre) to the up and coming guy with a stellar playing career (Van Nistelrooy) to the caretaker-come-good that O'Neil wishes he was (Digard) to the point to prove man (Potter) to the safeish pair of hands (Hasenhüttl).

Binning someone who seems to have no ties to the place, causes trouble and never seems happy, I can go along with that. Especially as he hadn't put that much of a personal mark on the place, the quality is in the playing staff and I don't think many felt a strong connection with him. Bringing in someone who wouldn't be in the conversation for any other PL job is ridiculous. Just why.
Would any of them want to come and work under the conditions we have at wolves though?

Would any of them want to come and work under the conditions we have at wolves though?
The conditions which are unattractive to a manager of Lopetegui's pedigree are still attractive to someone lower down. There's only 20 manager jobs in the PL. Potter maybe not as he's a bad move off wrecking his future career and will still be living of his Chelsea severance, plenty of others would be though

The conditions which are unattractive to a manager of Lopetegui's pedigree are still attractive to someone lower down. There's only 20 manager jobs in the PL. Potter maybe not as he's a bad move off wrecking his future career and will still be living of his Chelsea severance, plenty of others would be though
Maybe, the way I see it though we aren't exactly setting our managers up for success. An up and coming manager may see more downsides than upsides to coming here, hence we end up with someone like GON, who doesn't really have anything to lose.

I remember thinking this about Lage
I don't feel so certain in O'Neil's failure as I did Lage's, although they both wreak of patsy, principally because of the lack of Mendes involvement. I think it'll be a poor appointment whereas I was fairly sure Lage was.

Maybe, the way I see it though we aren't exactly setting our managers up for success. An up and coming manager may see more downsides than upsides to coming here, hence we end up with someone like GON, who doesn't really have anything to lose.
I think DW's point is that there are other potential managers in the same situation who he'd find more attractive. An ambitious manager will look at that squad and think he can take it to mid table and has already been told (whether he believes it is a different matter) that there will be money to spend next Summer. It's a more attractive job now than when Lopetegui took it on or after we sacked McCarthy for example, just not to those at the top tier or in comfortable positions

You can call me Welsh as much as you like. Follow it with cunt or something like that and we might fall out though (accurate as you probably would be!)

I don’t really give a shit about being the butt of jokes as long as they are as low as mine but Welsh as a perjorative is basically a bit naughty. I would say racist but it sets Glasgo off into Welsh isn’t a race rabbit holes and nobody got time for that shit.
"Welsh joker" was the straw that broke the Camel's back on the mix. It was describing the general demeanor of Tony Roberts.

At a push it was derogatory to use one of his assets as opposed to a failing, I don't think you'd have been too upset about it.

Same as the Lage appointment too, as far as I remember there was nobody else in the running apart from Lage

It shrieks of the Saunders appointment in that we have spoken to one potential candidate and appointed them. Which went well.
Seems we spoke to others but due to our current way of working each one spoken to would be a cheap option (as in out of work and happy to work on a limited/zero budget)

"Welsh joker" was the straw that broke the Camel's back on the mix. It was describing the general demeanor of Tony Roberts.

At a push it was derogatory to use one of his assets as opposed to a failing, I don't think you'd have been too upset about it.
I don’t really get too upset. I am extremely Wenglish (c) Kenny many many years ago as my place of birth isn’t exactly miles from Kenny Jackett. I quite enjoy the mutual pisstake on here, especially when the rugby is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back