• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Manager Hunt 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that O'Neil is apparently Hobbs' choice, I'd be surprised.
Is it?

Or was he told to find a new manager that is happy they have no money to spend, will lose players and will say yes to anything Fosun demand?

That's a tiny list of people.

He's actually more coherent than Lage and Lop in post match interviews.

And it'll be refreshing to have the press on our side, as they love an English manager...

Hopefully he is more successful than our last English manager

O'Neil to take training tomorrow as he finalises his backroom staff

Pah.

Born in Watford and has a southern accent. Jacket is English regardless of those caps 😀

He's actually more coherent than Lage and Lop in post match interviews.

And it'll be refreshing to have the press on our side, as they love an English manager...

Suspect you'll be on your own for a bit banging anything like an optimistic drum but good on yer for trying.

I’ll try and draw some positives from the O’Niel appointment.
Probably be highly motivated with a point to prove after Bournemouth.
Won’t have the Lop soap opera and him walking around with a degree of self entitled behaviour.
Already kept a side safe comfortably in the end albeit not in spectacular fashion.
Has a solid playing career mostly in the PL again nothing spectacular but can draw on own experiences when communicating to players.
I’m out, biggest thing needed is obvious tactical intelligence and ability to change matches.

I’ll try and draw some positives from the O’Niel appointment.
Probably be highly motivated with a point to prove after Bournemouth.
Won’t have the Lop soap opera and him walking around with a degree of self entitled behaviour.
Already kept a side safe comfortably in the end albeit not in spectacular fashion.
Has a solid playing career mostly in the PL again nothing spectacular but can draw on own experiences when communicating to players.
I’m out, biggest thing needed is obvious tactical intelligence and ability to change matches.
The media will love him.

Which may not be a positive in the long term if he does turn out to be shit and they keep making excuses for him.

The media will love him.

Which may not be a positive in the long term if he does turn out to be shit and they keep making excuses for him.
Yeah young English manager always get a bit of extra wiggle room, has a lot of pals at places like Talkshit etc to.

"Iraola is a forward-thinking, progressive coach with the ambition to have his team play in a way that exhibits confidence on the ball. O’Neil on the other hand, understandably set his team up with reservations. Besides the sensational start at Arsenal back in March and the last-gasp winner at Spurs later in the season, O’Neil’s style of play seemed to have been part of the reason why he lost his job."

Granted that is just a think piece article with some opinions, but O'Neil seems to have been considered too pragmatic and not expansive enough, and they felt that a new manager was better to implement those new ideas. We on the other hand do have better technical players and yet despite needing an attacking coaching boost we have gone for O'Neil and his limited experience that seems to indicate pragmatic and defensive.

Full link

I'm trying to be pragmatic and deal with this logically...

Just like Lopetegui, GON inherited a team down on its luck and in the mire. Both coaches adopted a safety first approach of tightening up at the back and making the team hard to beat, neither strategy was full of excitement and free flowing football but it got the job done.

Both used the tools at their disposal to great affect and satisfied their short term objectives...

GON will have an entirely different set of players to work with at Wolves, for a start he doesn't really have the personnel to play three at the back, so he needs to find a new way of playing, he also doesn't (yet) have the shackles of a relegation battle to deal with...

From the outside looking in I was surprised to see GON sacked and was quite impressed with what he achieved at Bournemouth, his stock is high at the moment (maybe as high as it will ever be).

I don't think pigeonholing his style of play (it achieved an objective) is very helpful, most of us expected Wolves to play a better style of football this season under JL, Maybe GON is capable of doing so too...

That said, I'll be hugely disappointed if we appoint him, it's utter madness from Shi and Fosun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back