• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Next Manager

Tredman

Missing ) If found please return
Reaction score
It’s going to be happen, might be next month might be January but it will happen.

Who we hoping to get? Nuno is seemingly out of reach now if Jeff was to contemplate that for the the third time.

We had an actual chance of Fonseca when we sacked Nuno AND after Lage's first awful season but we didn't go down that road for reasons best known to ourselves. He wouldn't come now. Mendes' contact book for managers is dreadful beyond those we obviously wouldn't get.

I wouldn't be opposed to Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Hasenhuttl is my choice.

Although I may have to accept the odd 9-0 defeat...

Hassentuttl would be my choice I think, assuming he would come.

Seems heavily dependent on Fosun's approach. Do they rip up their plan again and agree to spend in January so we don't go down, or do we maintain the FFP facade? We won't get a good coach if we offer them no funds as we could well drop.

Potter is not realistic and Jeff isn't going to go cap in hand back to Lopetegui or Nuno. Personally I'd like to see Hasenhuttl.

All aboard the Ralph train
happy-back-to-school.gif

I'm same as TT, would like Potter, but he's unlikely to want it so hope we could convince Hasenhuttl we not a complete car crash.

The Ipswich town manager
2 things wrong with that imo, firstly we won't go for someone who is employed, secondly I'd offer very strong odds he wouldn't come anyway. He'd be my first choice if it wasn't unrealistic though

Why would we go for Ralph if he wasn't approached after Lop?
This is like asking why would we sign Steven Fletcher in 2010 when we didn't sign him in 2009 and went for Stefan Maierhofer instead.

Football recruitment doesn't run in straight lines like that.

If there is any way Nuno could be tempted back, I’d have him in a heart beat.

Otherwise, just somebody who can actually get us playing decent football and seems to have some tactical nous. I don’t care who it is as long as they can make me get a bit excited about watching Wolves again.

This is like asking why would we sign Steven Fletcher in 2010 when we didn't sign him in 2009 and went for Stefan Maierhofer instead.

Football recruitment doesn't run in straight lines like that.
It really isn't, that's not a good analogy.

Fletcher was a proven Prem striker in 2010 after his season in the Prem with Burnley.

He was a Hibs player without that on his record in 2009.

Ralph has the same CV now as he had when we didnt approach him after Lop left and we interviewed Smith, Lampard and GON.

Having seen excerpts of Paul Berry's book, there is absolutely no way back for Nuno to work with Jeff Shi.

Now I would take the easiest route here, remove a de facto chairman who knows nothing about football and re-install our best manager in 40+ (arguably 60+) years who never actually wanted to leave, but I'm not Fosun.

That said we don't have anything like the players to set up how Nuno did at his best here, although even with the current lot I'd say there's a close to 0% chance he'd relegate us.

Fletcher was a proven Prem striker in 2010 after his season in the Prem with Burnley.

Ralph has the same CV now as he had when we didnt approach him after Lop left and we interviewed Smith, Lampard and GON.
Pick any analogy you like. Why did we sign Nathan Collins instead of Santiago Bueno in 2022 but then changed that stance in 2023?

You have to stop with this "there is no point changing X because Y could be worse and I don't trust them" mindset. Nothing will ever improve with that thinking, it's perverse. That mindset currently has us with one of the worst goalkeepers in the division.

You'd hope that the myopic has to be British, because Jeff's decided it has to be, criteria is binned after a failure, otherwise the manager will be the like of those you've mentioned

Answered in the last line. We narrowed the search criteria to English and unemployed after Lop and that was the shit we came up with. No reason they can't widen their search next time and they absolutely should. No idea why they restricted themselves like that.

Someone like Hassenhutl absolutely would come here if he had the chance, why wouldn't he?

2 things wrong with that imo, firstly we won't go for someone who is employed, secondly I'd offer very strong odds he wouldn't come anyway. He'd be my first choice if it wasn't unrealistic though
I was thinking the approach may change now we've got some of the Nunes money left. It was beg, steal and borrow when we appointed GON, we've since had some funds come out way.

Whether he'd come though, as you rightly say, is a different question.

Back