• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Next Manager

Someone who plays good football, so no thanks to Ralph.

Marcelo Gallardo is still available, I wanted him last year but we went with Lopetegui. It's pie in the sky though, I don't think we'd attract anyone with any kind of ambition.

Living in a dream world if you think we're appointing anyone like Gallardo anytime soon.

Pick any analogy you like. Why did we sign Nathan Collins instead of Santiago Bueno in 2022 but then changed that stance in 2023?

You have to stop with this "there is no point changing X because Y could be worse and I don't trust them" mindset. Nothing will ever improve with that thinking, it's perverse. That mindset currently has us with one of the worst goalkeepers in the division.

I'm asking the perfectly legitimate question as to why we'd go for Ralph now when we didn't go for him as recently as what? 8 weeks ago? For the record if we were to get Ralph I'd sack GON tomorrow.

You're off the mark with your X and Y comment nearly as much as your analogies.

The answer seems to be "we went British", well if the club are as narrow minded and stupid enough to narrow their search to such a poor catchment, no I don't have faith in them not to do something as daft again.

There’s always been money. They are just idiots.

Try and go cheap on manager and transfers, fail, throw loads of money at it but still have the same cheap manager, fail, throw loads of money at a manager, throw more money at transfers, survive. Try and go cheap again, fail, have to spend money on transfers in the January coming up and who knows on manager.

Would have been far cheaper for them to just invest steadily.

The Ipswich town manager

I'd be uneasy with him tbh.

Last year Michael Carrick was seriously fancied at Boro after the job he did there, not looking too clever now. I get they've lost a striker etc but it could be out of the frying pan and into the fire hiring a guy like that.

If say Nuno* came in, stabilised us and bounced in the summer with our best wishes then yeah, but there's already too many moving parts for me.

A name pulled out my arse.

I'm asking the perfectly legitimate question as to why we'd go for Ralph now when we didn't go for him as recently as what? 8 weeks ago? For the record if we were to get Ralph I'd sack GON tomorrow.

You're off the mark with your X and Y comment nearly as much as your analogies.

The answer seems to be "we went British", well if the club are as narrow minded and stupid enough to narrow their search to such a poor catchment, no I don't have faith in them not to do something as daft again.
But I'm not off the mark, you literally said you wouldn't sell Sa or Kilman as you thought we would get worse so why bother.

Well guess what, they're both still here, they both play every game and they're both fucking wank. How's that working out for us?

But I'm not off the mark, you literally said you wouldn't sell Sa or Kilman as you thought we would get worse so why bother.

Well guess what, they're both still here, they both play every game and they're both fucking wank. How's that working out for us?
Oh look, Dan moves the thread onto Sa and Kilman again 🙄

To illustrate the folly of your thinking.

Maybe Newcastle shouldn't have gone for Eddie Howe, Steve Bruce hadn't taken them down, Eddie Howe relegated Bournemouth, why take that risk?
Folly?

I'm saying that if we sack GON and replace him with Ralph I'd be happy, I'm also saying I don't think it'll happen as Ralph wasn't on our shortlist as recently as the 9th of August!

Surely that's a perfectly acceptable opinion to hold?

But they will panic and have to throw money at it. The FFP issue will go away. So all bets are off on who it could be

If the club sack O'Neil (I doubt they will particularly soon, but they should) then they'll have changed their mind by default, won't they?

Like we decided Nathan Collins was our long term centre half at £20m in August 2022 and by February 2023 he couldn't get a game. And we piled £27.5m into Gonçalo Guedes and decided he was a waste of space inside six months.

Folly?

I'm saying that if we sack GON and replace him with Ralph I'd be happy, I'm also saying I don't think it'll happen as Ralph wasn't on our shortlist as recently as the 9th of August!

Surely that's a perfectly acceptable opinion to hold
Surely it is reasonable to suggest that if you are sacking a manager after 8/10/12 games take your pick then you've admitted you made a total balls up of the recruitment and therefore are unlikely to follow the same procedure? Fwiw I think he's safe for a good few games yet whilst the promoted teams can't win a game

Kieran McKenna, but Fosun won’t pay up the compo or he could turn us down anyway.
Reality is it’ll probably be another poor manager out of work.

If they sack GON it means they've changed their mind on him. It doesn't necessarily mean they've changed their mind that British isn't still the way to go its pretty likely they just look down the shortlist of August.

Surely it is reasonable to suggest that if you are sacking a manager after 8/10/12 games take your pick then you've admitted you made a total balls up of the recruitment and therefore are unlikely to follow the same procedure? Fwiw I think he's safe for a good few games yet whilst the promoted teams can't win a game
Yep, the form of others is helping his safety for sure.

If they sack GON it means they've changed their mind on him. It doesn't necessarily mean they've changed their mind that British isn't still the way to go its pretty likely they just look down the shortlist of August.
In the last year we have gone

- Sacked Lage
- Gone all in on Lopetegui - he said no
- Went all in on a highly rated manager who had 14 or 15 games under his belt - he said no
- Stuck with a L2 caretaker
- Tried to persuade Rob Edwards to join us a club employed coach,, safe from being binned when a manager is sacked/walks - he said no
- Gone back to throwing everything at Lopetegui - he said yes pl££S£ then no thanks.
- All in on a British manager with less than 1 season of experience.

When GO goes, who knows what direction we will go in. So we might as well throw all types of managers around on here

In the last year we have gone

- Sacked Lage
- Gone all in on Lopetegui - he said no
- Went all in on a highly rated manager who had 14 or 15 games under his belt - he said no
- Stuck with a L2 caretaker
- Tried to persuade Rob Edwards to join us a club employed coach,, safe from being binned when a manager is sacked/walks - he said no
- Gone back to throwing everything at Lopetegui - he said yes pl££S£ then no thanks.
- All in on a British manager with less than 1 season of experience.

When GO goes, who knows what direction we will go in. So we might as well throw all types of managers around on here

I think to sum up in a few words is they’ve not got a clue

Heckingbottom available soon and would fit the archetype we’ve been after. Premier League experience too, which is key.

Back