• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Notts Forest 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I haven’t seen it back, but From my vantage point I was adamant Sa should’ve gone and got to the ball first for their goal. Or even if that wasn’t possible be right on top of it to block the shou surely?

Compare it to the Nunes chance and Navas was on top of him and the defender.

Compare it to the Nunes chance and Navas was on top of him and the defender.
That was also only a yard off the goal line within the posts.

Sa came out and narrowed the angle as all keepers do. He shouldn't be getting beaten from there, but I still think its more unlucky going through his legs than poor keeping.

That was also only a yard off the goal line within the posts.

Sa came out and narrowed the angle as all keepers do. He shouldn't be getting beaten from there, but I still think its more unlucky going through his legs than poor keeping.
As the ball spins towards Johnson:

DDV55EW.png

Where he ends up:

WbZGTDL.png

He has not given himself the best chance, he backed off for reasons best known to himself. And then that is still shit to concede from there.

I think reason we are incapable of creating clear cut chances isn't because we've got bad players, it's we've got no one who can reliably win it back in centre midfield.

Under Nuno we'd sit really deep and wait for the opposition to fuck up, invariably they'd have pushed really high and we could then use the pace we had up front to exploit the space that was there.

Since we've tried to change style to have more possession, the opposition is always always alway set in their defensive shape when we are attacking. At this level I think only peak Barcelona could really break down premier league quality defences down with passing it around.

All of our midfielder players, or at least the ones currently playing are good ball players but it's not working against set defences. So many goals at this level are scored from the 'transition'. We've just got no one in midfield that can create those transition moments.

I think having Boubacar, who seems like the one capable of it could be decisive for us in between now and the end of the season. I still think we'll stay up. JL has got a lot wrong recently but he's a good manager and I still believe he'll find the solutions we need soon enough. There are worse teams with worse managers than us imo.

We’re just so risk averse. We never try and play quickly. Even Sa has stopped launching it.

Makes no sense when we’re so bad at creating and default to the horseshoe. If anything we were more liable to conceding from our own horse shoe on the counter then if we’d just “given it away” trying to counter ourselves. Times when players made good runs behind and we just ignore and recycle. Just fucking play it. Even if it’s a shit ball you’re probably winning a throw or forcing a shit clearance. Might even then create something from the second phase with players out of position.

Instead just pass is sideways around a set defence until we lose it or put in a hopeless cross to no one. Or Neves trying some awful 30 yard ball through the centre which inevitably gets cut out. Such a bizarre team now we’ve been attacking in this awful way for years now but have lost the ability to counter and score from set pieces too

We've got too many players who are happy to leave it to someone else to create, that's the single biggest issue since Jota left.

We've got too many players who are happy to leave it to someone else to create, that's the single biggest issue since Jota left.
Really? Adama, Neto and Pod often all try to do too much. I’d say the problem is more speed of thought and knowing when to move the ball onwards quickly.

Really? Adama, Neto and Pod often all try to do too much. I’d say the problem is more speed of thought and knowing when to move the ball onwards quickly.

Adama doesn't try to create, just runs to the corner flag. Neto since he's come back has passed the ball backwards more than he's dribbled forward. Podence is the only one who actually tried stuff, even if it comes off 1/10 times.

It’s either fancy flicks or sideways and backwards. There’s no in between

Thing is we did set up away at Fulham with a plan. A striker (Raul in this case) with Cunha and Sarabia playing close to him and narrow. Lemina sitting, Nunes and Neves given licence to go forward when appropriate. And we were superb first half. 1-0 up, should have been two or three.

Never done it since.

It's not American football, we don't have a series of set plays. They have autonomy when on the pitch once in shape.
You don't think teams have plans or things they want to do when they attack? It's not all improv....

When we make so many changes every game its hard for players to build up those partnerships as well. 5 changes to the 11 again today. We can't keep doing it. Need to find what we think is our best 11 and stick to it as closely as we can.

Thing is we did set up away at Fulham with a plan. A striker (Raul in this case) with Cunha and Sarabia playing close to him and narrow. Lemina sitting, Nunes and Neves given licence to go forward when appropriate. And we were superb first half. 1-0 up, should have been two or three.

Never done it since.
Was trying to think back to the last time the players and formation really fit together. This was it I think.

Never done it since.
This is really what's narks me, we have done it before and know how to do it but just choose not too.

That's on the manager.

This is really what's narks me, we have done it before and know how to do it but just choose not too.

That's on the manager.
It got scuppered in that game because Cunha got injured.

Well he's back now and when he and Sarabia AND a striker are on the pitch we do actually tend to score, like we did against Leeds, like we did today.

So bloody do that then.

Not seen any of the game but given the starting team everything on here is as I expected. Traore and Moutinho have had nearly all their best performances lately off the bench. Cunha looks overpriced by about £43m as a centre forward and likewise Nunes has zero ability to influence a game for more than a couple of moments, the rest of the time he’s a complete passenger.

We need a single formation with a starting lineup as settled as injuries and suspensions permit. Whilst it is in our hands I fear survival is heavily dependent on three other sides being worse than us. I said a couple of weeks ago Lopetegui’s honeymoon period was over. It’s now time to show early results were due to him rather than the players reacting positively to Lage going.

You don't think teams have plans or things they want to do when they attack? It's not all improv....

Obviously, I understand that there will be patterns of play that are drilled and an overall ethos however that's a framework it doesn't stop players from taking responsibility.

Back